Are we supposed to cross ourselves before Gospel?

Even though I make the sign of the cross on my forehead, lips and heart and know the meaning, it isn't stated in the missal to do so. Is this suppose to be done by just the Priest? Thank you

The instruction to do this is found in the General Instruction of the Roman Missal (134; my emphasis in bold):

At the ambo, the Priest opens the book and, with hands joined, says, The Lord be with you, to which the people reply, And with your spirit. Then he says, A reading from the holy Gospel, making the Sign of the Cross with his thumb on the book and on his forehead, mouth, and breast, which everyone else does as well. The people acclaim, Glory to you, O Lord. The Priest incenses the book, if incense is being used (cf. nos. 276-277). Then he proclaims the Gospel and at the end pronounces the acclamation The Gospel of the Lord, to which all reply, Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ. The Priest kisses the book, saying quietly the formula Per evangelica dicta (Through the words of the Gospel).

Whether or not this instruction is included in any particular worship aid seems to be at the discretion of the publisher.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.