Are we there yet?

No dear, but we’re getting closer!

Roman Catholics and confessional Lutherans explore deeper ties

In 1976, Joseph Ratzinger—then still a professor—suggested “it might be possible to interpret [the Augsburg Confession (CA)—i.e., the primary Lutheran confession] under the laws of the empire as a catholic confession.” He continued: “Efforts are underway to achieve a Catholic recognition of the CA or, more correctly, a recognition of the CA as catholic, and thereby to establish the catholicity of the churches of the CA, which makes possible a corporate union while the differences remain.”

I wonder which Confessions are being referred to here. Since the acronym being used is CA and not U.C.A. (Which are the unaltered confessions from 1530, From what I understand - Melanchton changed things after Luther’s death).

I don’t know of a confessional Lutheran synod that uses anything but the Unaltered Augsburg Confession.

Jon

I have said for a long time that confessional Lutheranism is far better positioned to dialogue with Rome than our more liberal Lutheran siblings, partiularly in the areas of morals, and clergy.
It is high time the LCMS and ILC move in this direction.

Jon

Thanks Jon, that’s what I thought. The “CA” threw me off… maybe refers to the German initials for the Confession?

God Bless Bro’

Jose

Hi Jose,
CA stands for the Latin,* Confessio Augustana*. Sometimes you’ll see it referred to simply Augustana, or for the English, UAC.

Jon

I’m not seeing it happen anytime soon. There is still too many non-negotiables on either side. Unity can happen as far as standing together against the evils of the world.

I also felt that confessional Lutheranism has more to offer the Roman Catholics that the liberal ELCA and the Lutheran World Federation with their women pastors and social gospel. But first we must be honest in our disagreements and then find areas where we agree. I pray that this will happen.

I don’t think there is too much doubt where we disagree. To be honest, it is my perception that some in the LCMS leadership of the years has actually been reluctant to find the areas where we agree, to seek them out, to be willing to explore with the guidance of the Holy Spirit avenues to reach these conclusions.

I see this as changing, however, with the example of the document “The Hope For Eternal Life”, which we signed on to, with but 3 clarifications, and the growing issue of religious liberty, the HHS mandate being at the forefront, that is thrusting closer ties on us both.

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.