believe also in me.
In my Father’s house are many mansions:

if it were not so,
I would have told - you.
I go to prepare a place for - you.
And if I go and prepare a place for - you,
I will come again, and receive - you - unto myself;
that where I am, there ye may be also.
And whither I go - ye know, - and the way ye know.

My question :slightly_smiling_face:
Do we get a mansion - if we get to Heaven ?
Or share a mansion - with others ?
Does anyone know the meaning behind mansion ?
Is it like castle -
We don’t know much about Heaven - but Jesus says this …

Poor translation. (μοναι — monai). Old word from μενω — menō to abide, abiding places, in N.T. only here and John 14:23. There are many resting-places in the Father‘s house (οικια — oikia). The exact meaning of the Greek is; “resting-places,” or “dwellings.” In Elizabethan English the word meant no more than this, and it now means no more.

Sorry to disappoint.:house_with_garden:

“In my Father’s house are many rooms” (cannot remember where I heard that translation).

Of course, this thread makes me want to sing

Mansion Over the Hilltop
and
Build Me Just a Cabin in the Corner of Glory Land

I certainly hope not. I’m expecting a small stone cottage by the sea with the finest teas, books, beer, and naps I could never even dream of. Also many cats.

Now I’m singing a favorite!

Here are the English translation of John 14:2 from officially approved Catholic Bibles:

“In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If there were not, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?” — New American Bible, Revised Edition

“In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?” — Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition

“ In my Father’s house there are many places to live in; otherwise I would have told you. I am going now to prepare a place for you” – Jerusalem Bible

Note that none of these official and approved Catholic English translations mention mansions. Instead, they mention dwelling places, rooms and places to live in.

Resting places and dwellings in Heaven. I am totally cool with that. Praise God.
Thank you, Lord Jesus.

I honestly don’t know what I’d do with an entire mansion anyway. :slight_smile:

The Douay Rheims says “mansions”

“Mansions” sound magnificent (but big!).

Would it be one of those self-cleaning Jetson-house mansions?

And “rooms” sounds like go-to-your-room to some of us.

I think it’s the limitations of our human languages. I’m sure whatever it is, it’s going to be good.

Craig Campbell’s song The Outskirts of Heaven would appeal to a lot of us. Check out some of the music videos fans have created. This is just one of several.

They thought big, back in the day!

:slight_smile:

isn’t the kingdom of heaven, or the reign of God, coming to earth.

A new heaven and earth

I don’t need a mansion. Mama and I will be content sharing a cloud.

Well, I do comfort myself knowing - in Heaven -
that’ll they’ll be no bad / dangerous neighborhoods -
That alone - seems like a unreal mighty blessing.

Y’know, the passage adds that I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

I think it’s about relationship. Our God is a relationship. Our God is Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Our God is a relationship – and He created us to be in relationship with Himself and with each other. That is why our relationships cannot be separated from our choices.

(It’s probably also why the music video for When I get where I’m going is almost all about loved ones rather than about the streets of gold lined with mansions and such like.)

So whether your idea of a dwelling-place is Fallingwater, a log cabin, Stately Wayne Manor/Downton Abbey*, your grandparents’ house, or a tent among the Israelites of old, it’s a mansion if Jesus built it just for you, and Jesus is there with you, always.

*You know that Wayne Manor needed as many servants as Downton Abbey, but they didn’t have them. (Is there one character on D.A. who has kept a secret?) Poor old Alfred the butler and Aunt Harriet had to drudge for their living cleaning the whole thing themselves, when you think about it! One self-cleaning Jetson-house manor for them, certainly.)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.