Are women supposed to do the readings?

Perhaps this has already been answerd but I could not find the thread so I apologise from the start if thats the case.

I know theres a lot of ignored rubrics such as extra ordinary Eucharistic ministers being only in the time of extreme need and where these people should be chosen from. Technically it should go in decent order if available... preist,deacon, installed acolyte, religous man, religous woman, then upstanding men in the church being the last option. Now days its a free for all.

Which brings me to my question according to the rules...Not talking about the norm Should women say the readings before the Gospel? Please cite :confused:

No, they shouldn't be in the Sanctuary. That is the traditional Catholic view.

"As in all the churches of the saints, the women should keep silence in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. If there is anything they desire to know, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church. . . . what I am writing to you is a command of the Lord."

(1 Cor 14:33-35, 37)

[quote="Zosimus41, post:1, topic:283479"]
Which brings me to my question according to the rules...Not talking about the norm Should women say the readings before the Gospel? Please cite :confused:

[/quote]

*Lectors *are installed positions, which only men may hold.

However, in the absence of Lectors, *readers *may be either male or female.

That podium where the readers would read from is outside the sanctuary

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:4, topic:283479"]
That podium where the readers would read from is outside the sanctuary

[/quote]

There is supposed to be a rail installed (the rail stands for a gate or a wall between sins of mankind and santuary) between the naive and the santuary and the podium is behind the rail not in front of it.

[quote="1ke, post:3, topic:283479"]

[/quote]

Interesting I never hear anything about any openings for "Installed Lectors" So what you say makes sense there would be an absence of Lectors if the church never asks for any.

[quote="Zosimus41, post:6, topic:283479"]
Interesting I never hear anything about any openings for "Installed Lectors" So what you say makes sense there would be an absence of Lectors if the church never asks for any.

[/quote]

Usually Lectors are those the students in the diaconate program that have been there a couple of years.

[quote="1ke, post:3, topic:283479"]

[/quote]

SO whats the point of being Roman Catholic? Why do most people including bishops and preist ignore the rules or simply stay in ignorance.

I am Roman Catholic because I believe in the teachings of the church 100% or I wouldnt be Catholic.

I believe if each parish abided by the rules of the Roman Catholic Church it would make a lot of people upset.

Those who push their own agenda women preist,Eucharistic Ministers people that celebrate mass in a non Catholic manor, people using the orans posture as if they were more muslim than Catholic etc...

I think if "those people" would actually study on their own how mass is supposed to be done they may find themselves not Catholic at all. Learn the truth then decide if you want to be Roman Catholic. Dont try to change things accroding to what the world says it should be.

God nor the Roman Catholic church is a democracy.

[quote="Zosimus41, post:8, topic:283479"]
SO whats the point of being Roman Catholic? Why do most people including bishops and preist ignore the rules or simply stay in ignorance.

I am Roman Catholic because I believe in the teachings of the church 100% or I wouldnt be Catholic.

I believe if each parish abided by the rules of the Roman Catholic Church it would make a lot of people upset.

Those who push their own agenda women preist,Eucharistic Ministers people that celebrate mass in a non Catholic manor, people using the orans posture as if they were more muslim than Catholic etc...

I think if "those people" would actually study on their own how mass is supposed to be done they may find themselves not Catholic at all. Learn the truth then decide if you want to be Roman Catholic. Dont try to change things accroding to what the world says it should be.

[/quote]

This response makes absolutely no sense.

[/quote]

Wow, left field.

Let me rephrase. In 1972, **the Pope **suppressed all minor orders. Therefore we no longer have Lectors.

[/quote]

Left field.

[/quote]

So, I take it you believe you are more Catholic than the Pope?

[quote="1ke, post:10, topic:283479"]
Wow, left field.

Let me rephrase. In 1972, **the Pope **suppressed all minor orders. Therefore we no longer have Lectors.

[/quote]

Actually, we still have the instuted ministry of lector, the equivalent of a minor order. Strictly speaking, you're correct that we have no minor orders, but there still is the instuted minsistry of lector, which is still for men only.

[quote="superamazingman, post:11, topic:283479"]
Actually, we still have the instuted ministry of lector, the equivalent of a minor order. Strictly speaking, you're correct that we have no minor orders, but there still is the instuted minsistry of lector, which is still for men only.

[/quote]

In our diocese we do not have instituted Lectors. I don't believe many dioceses or parishes do have them.

My point being a diocese or parish that does not institute Lectors and instead has readers, male or female, is doing nothing wrong and is not being* less than *Catholic.

Hey, I've been curious about this for a long time.

What is the CHURCH teaching on having women readers? (lectures?) What about female extraordinary Eucharistic ministers?

I understand what the Bible says about it; however, obviously that's open to Vatican interpretation and every church I have gone to in California allows female readers and extraordinary Eucharistic ministers. That's even in the more "orthodox" conservative churches! So obviously the Bishops and priests don't see it as a problem...

So like I said, what is the CHURCH teaching on the topic? What has the Vatican officially said? Any Canon Law or anything in the Missal?

[quote="1ke, post:12, topic:283479"]
In our diocese we do not have instituted Lectors. I don't believe many dioceses or parishes do have them.

My point being a diocese or parish that does not institute Lectors and instead has readers, male or female, is doing nothing wrong and is not being* less than *Catholic.

[/quote]

Every bishop institutes his seminarians as lectors at some point in formation. This is just part of the program. Strictly speaking, it is not a minor order, but that is just semantics, as the duties are exactly the same. So every diocese at some point or another does have instituted lectors.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.