Are worry & anxiety mortal sins?

I’m nearing the end of RCIA, and getting ready for my First Confession. I have struggled with worry and anxiety for years, and wondering if these are Mortal Sins I need to confess?

The first thing anyone here would suggest is to talk with your priest. The second thing that I suggest is that you talk with a doctor about your anxiety. You may have an anxiety disorder for which there is help. I have anxiety disorder, and while I still get that feeling every now and then, it’s not near as bad as it used to be. I wish you the best, and I’ll be praying for you. :thumbsup:

Gee, I hope not!

As far as my understanding goes, they are not. However, I do believe that we must work to increase our faith so that worry is replaced by confidence in our good God.

Matthew 6: 25-34 NABR

Dependence on God

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat [or drink], or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds in the sky; they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are not you more important than they? Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span? Why are you anxious about clothes? Learn from the way the wild flowers grow. They do not work or spin. But I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was clothed like one of them. If God so clothes the grass of the field, which grows today and is thrown into the oven tomorrow, will he not much more provide for you, O you of little faith? So do not worry and say, ‘What are we to eat?’ or ‘What are we to drink?’ or ‘What are we to wear? All these things the pagans seek. Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom (of God) and his righteousness,* and all these things will be given you besides. Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself. Sufficient for a day is its own evil.

Worry & anxiety are not spiritually edifying. You should always be praying for peace in your life. Worry is the opposite of peace, which is a fruit of the Spirit.

Feelings of worry don’t require Reconciliation, but I cannot conceive of any reason why you wouldn’t confess this if it is a barrier in your life and you feel this has inhibited you from behaving as you should have, especially in your first confession.

Worry and anxiety are both a waste of time, and bad for your health.

Sometimes we are faced with situations that are very, very difficult. It is only natural to feel threatened or anxious. When my husband died, I was able to take Xanax during the time of the funeral. Otherwise, I would have been devastated and emotional.

It’s funny, but many people seem to think it’s a virtue not to “feel bad”. One friend criticized a person who wept at her loved one’s funeral. She said “What a lack of poise!” Then she went on to compare that person with Jackie Kennedy, who was stoic during the President’s funeral.

If people criticize this when one is emotional and make them feel that they have sinned, that is wrong. Sometimes things are supposed to hurt. They are naturally geared to cause anxiety, worry, etc. They are what is known as “crosses”. Just because someone feels bad doesn’t mean they are.

Pax Christi!

Worry is useless. (St. Pio)

Both worry and anxiety are bad habits and hinder spiritual growth and good works. Good habits drive out bad habits. Prayer is such a good habit! The Holy Rosary can conquer any bad habit.

Pray all you can.

God bless.

How could this be a sin ?     just be yourself,and be accepting of yourself...

Those would not be mortal sins unless you use them as an excuse to commit some other sin. I have had an anxiety disorder for many years. I have learned most of my triggers over the years, but there are still days when it is out of my control. There is nothing I can do but pray. God sometimes removes the anxiety but most of the time He does not. I think everyone has some periods of anxiety they can’t control, even people without a disorder. You can’t have committed a mortal sin without full consent.

Have you tried learning Christian meditation in the tradition of the Desert Priests, and the Catholic mystics of old? Part of anxiety disorder is a loop where anxiety causes racing negative fearful thoughts. These thoughts in turn stimulate adrenal response that causes a greater sensation of anxiety, which causes more negative racing thoughts. But you are not you thoughts, and you are not your anxiety. You are an adopted child of God!

I don’t think they are mortal sins. I myself have confessed my struggle with worry and anxiety to a priest. He pointed me to a picture of the Divine Mercy and told me to say “Jesus, I trust in you.”

St. Faustina mentioned in her diary that Jesus knew and understood that our thoughts and emotions are not always under our full control, but all merit lies in the will.

Whenever you feel worry and anxiety, offer your worries to Jesus. Make the conscious decision to hand over these burdens to Jesus and know that you are not alone and He is there for you. Trust in His goodness.

Thanks everyone! I did talk to my priest last night and he said they are not mortal sins, especially if they can’t be controlled.

I will definitely take the above advice. Thank you!

:extrahappy:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.