closet!! To feel the Love of Christ when pray-
ing for another Brother or Sister in Christ is
to Love as Jesus did!! See 1 Jn. 4:17
“Love has been perfected AMONG US so
that we can have confidence before God
on the day of Visitation, since just as Christ
Loves, so WE have loved in this world.”

Hear this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwXd3WzjKy8

I just know - there are people out there - who are performing, through God, miracles -
We don’t know who they are…and it’s not that important.
Something about ‘fame’ - that ruins a good thing…
I bet there’s people who are in touch with Angels…the entire thing.
Again, they keep quiet about it - pondering these things in their hearts.

And Jesus does tell us to pray in our closet - NOT OPENLY !

@Seagull I think it is “pride” that makes ppl want to be
noticed as “living saints”.

It is likely that most Catholic Saints were not recognised as such while they were alive. Seeking out applause, acclaim or adulation would indicate, at least for me, that the person was not saintly. Like Our Lady, the person should always seek to point to God as the source of any good they may do, not themselves.

I know for example that any good thing that I do comes from God and only Him. Without God in my life I am sure I would be a monster possibly. I am so unsure of my own goodness that I don’t trust myself and have to rely and learn totally on the Lord to avoid sin and to do any good at all.

I think it is more of a spectrum than a binary situation. Some people are at the extreme poles and most of us are on a journey.

Here are some ideas to live a saintly life.

Do all you can to avoid sin.
Recive the sacerments if you cannot due to illness or persuction you may have the desire of baptism.

Pray the rosary
Pray for the souls in purgatory
Pray any devotions you have.

If you are receiving odd dreams or odd experiences don’t be prideful andtell every one talk to a priest.

Try to read and watch holy things.

Be humble know the world hates you because they hated Christ first.

Leave behind something like tapes or videos or writings if you can you dont have to but alot of people after your bodily death can take your example as I learned from especially St Faustina Jacinta Bernadette Therese Teresa many more.

St Therese said she would spend her heaven doing good on earth think about what you will do in heaven with God. Know your main vocation and that is to be a saint and Love like St Therese did. Discern your earthly.vocation do all you can do God will.

I heard a song it goes it one point

We love, we live
We give what we can give
And take what little we deserve

Once upon another time Love never dies

• Andrew lolyd Webber.

Very well put, and you say that you are just
CONVERTING to Catholicism, you are well
on the Way. :wink::wink:

This has been my experience. I’m not saying it is universally so, just that this has been my experience in life

Those that appear to be holy - the most pious and devout - often aren’t closet saints, but they are trying very hard.

It is the ones that you least expect - the most ordinary and unassuming - that often are the holiest.

I’m no closet saint, but I hope to die trying and never give up.

Does it mean that a family shouldn’t say grace at a dinner table?

I am not saying you should HIDE your piety,
but in MY experience, I have a LOT of trouble
struggling w/ addictions, including smoking.
But I also fast and pray twice weekly AND
pray in public, but ppl can LAUGH at my show
of piety w/o realizing my inner spirituality!!

Most people who say grace don’t do a good job at it…
just saying.

I was meaning that no one was praying privately; would that mean that a family prayer at dinner be “unsaintly”?

Yes, good question, there is a PLACE for grace
at meals, and there is also a Place for private
devotions.

Anyone here old enough to remember when Catholic families prayed Grace after meals ?

We give Thee thanks, Almighty God, for all thy benefits,
Who livest and reignest, world without end.
Amen.

Vouchsafe, O Lord, to reward with eternal life,
all those who do us good for Thy name’s sake.
Amen.

V. Let us bless the Lord.
R. Thanks be to God.

May the souls of the faithful departed,
through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
Amen.

Heavens no. I am by no means a saint even as I pray for others.

I am a sinner. I am persevering in the faith and facing my shortcomings head on. I pray often for God’s grace to wash over my life and remove that which is not of him. It’s a process and a journey. I imagine I will die trying to be ever more like Christ. Though I stumble, I pray that on the day of judge God will say well done.

I am the worst of the sinners!

Nobody can be a saint while alive. Only after death. Christ Himself crossed death and no living soul is above him so whoever is praying or doing other struggles here on Earth for others can only be named a “man/woman who tries to live a holy life”.

Beware of false humility.

We are all sinners in need of mercy. Self-love dies only after we do, said St. Francis deSales.

I love the Song that says:
“Happy day, happy day,
when Jesus washed my sins away!
He taught me how to WATCH and PRAY
and live REJOICING Everyday!
Happy day, happy day,
when Jesus washed my sins away!”

I learned HOW to pray BY PRAYING,
praise be to the Almighty Living God!!

I’m a sinner. After every Communion and at every Adoration, I say the Jesus Prayer acknowledging my sinfulness. If I grow enough in grace, I may even be able to embrace those weird prayers of Thomas a Kempis and St. Paschal Baylon that basically say, “I’m filthy with sin, disgusting and lower than dirt.”

I’d like to go to heaven and be a saint and pray for that frequently like in the Anima Christi and Adoro Te Devote and St. Faustina’s prayer, but no matter how "good " I am, it will not be enough and Jesus will need to get me there in His mercy. I focus on trying to fix my faults and pray/ help others. It is not productive to think of myself as a saint, closet or otherwise.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.