are you angry at nonCatholic Christians?

-topic-

No!

Why should you be? If they follow and practice their faith devoutly, they will undoubtedly receive grace from God.

Pray for them, that they may return to the fullness of faith. Do not be angry at them, show them love and mercy as Christ would.

Zebedee

Nope. :smiley:

Why? Are you angry at Catholics?

:heart: Love is Patient

:smiley:

I get a feeling Catholics on this site are (I am glad two are not)

only when they are real mean :frowning:

On the contrary, I love all of our dear brothers and sisters who have not yet discovered the Truth of the Church that Jesus Christ founded and pray that the Lord will give them the great gift of that knowledge and Faith that He has given me.

If they don’t discover it here, they sure will when they get to the Other Side!:smiley:

Am I angry at individual Non-Catholic Christians? Depends on their actions. If they are willing to stay out of the way of the True Church and not cause problems for Catholics (including trying to pull them away from the Truth), then they are tolerable.

Am I am angered by the existence of Non-Catholic Christianity? The answer is yes. I see little good that comes out of Non-Catholic Christianity, only discord, confusion, a bastardization (in its true sense of the word) and watering down of the Truth. While one can admire perhaps the zealous nature of some Non-Catholic Christians, they still reject the wholeness of Truth found withing the Catholic Church in favor of some man-made hoke. While Non-Catholic Christianity can never pose a threat to the Catholic Church as an institution (the gates of Hell shall not prevail…), it can pose a threat to the souls of individual Catholics who get lured into heresy and schism by the easy believe-ism, prideful individualism (i.e. my beliefs based on my opinion and my interpretation of Scripture) and relativism/subjectivity of Protestantism.

No, certainly not angry. Annoyed at the more anti-Catholic/stupid ones. OTOH, I feel a strong bond with many Protestants (including some on this board) who are simply interested in living a Christian life.

I agree that non-catholics, particularly some of the many varieties of Protestants have helped to produce the general disbelief and Atheism in the world today.

This is because the centuries of conflict, aggressive denigration of traditional Catholic Christianity and accusations that the Church is evil, the pawn of Satan etc. etc. (as well as the counter retorts from Catholics) have led a lot of people to confusion and disbelief. If Christians can’t agree on the message, they think, perhaps the message is man-made or false.

When there is one truth people are more likely to be convinced. When there is a confusion of conflicting “truths”, many will give up in confusion, or say “a plague on all your houses.” Others will pick the version of truth that suits them.

The damage done to Christianity by the “reformation” has been huge.

Perhaps some are. :shrug: Such is the nature of online forums, particularly when something as important as faith is discussed.

My apologies on their behalf. Sometimes people get zealous for the truth and forget the truth about love.

:heart: Love is Patient

Your thesis is that the division in the Christian Church is what has led to an increased secularism in the world today. This is and interesting take. Mind if we explore it a little bit?

If the schism within Christianity has caused this increased Atheism then why has it not produced an increase in religions which are united like Islam, Judaism, and Buddhism? By your logic, the division should cause people to write of Christianity, but not necessarily religion in general. So, why haven’t they simply gone to a more unified religion?

If the schism within Christianity has caused this increased Atheism then why has it not produced an increase in religions which are united like Islam, Judaism, and Buddhism? By your logic, the division should cause people to write of Christianity, but not necessarily religion in general. So, why haven’t they simply gone to a more unified religion?

Remember, that in Europe (and, by extension, the so-called ‘New World’) has been predominantly Christian, so a major schism in Christianity would have a greater effect (since it affects more people and a greater percentage of the population). And it is not like one has merely a choice between Catholic and Protestant, it is between Catholic and a myriad of Protestant “denominations”, each with their own unique theologies, etc. This just creates confusion and discord.

Also, remember that modern Judaism (with Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, etc.), Islam (with Sunnis, Shi’ites, etc.) and Buddhism (with Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana, etc.) are not so united as one may think.

Still the point remains. You blame Protestants for the world becoming more atheistic. I don’t think that is very fair or right and I think it ignores a lot of history. Sure, today, the Catholic Church makes all nicey nice with scientific progress and says it’s okay to accept evolution. But, rewind the clocks to the early 20th century. One of the greatest evolutionary scientists alive at that time was Fr. Teilhard. He was consistently censured and denied permission to publish his findings by the Catholic Church and the Jesuits who say his science as a challenge to the orthodoxy of the church. His findings had to be published second hand by other scientists who learned about them through corresponding with Teilhard and then attributing him in their publications. You don’t think this hurt things? There are many other examples and I do not think that the Protestants are blameless in this. But, I also don’t think that finger pointing and blaming anyone, in particular, is fruitful or intellectually honest.

Besides that, doesn’t the Bible imply that the world will become more secular and atheistic as time goes on?

It was Axion, not I, who said that the Protestant “reformation” helped to produce disbelief/Atheism.

Also, my understanding Fr. Teilhard did not get in trouble for his scientific research and findings, but for certain theological ideas he tried to extrapolate from these scientific findings. Just like Galileo did not get in trouble for advocating a heliocentric universe, but for trying to interpret Scripture against the Church’s teachings (and for insulting the Pope in one of his writings).

Remember, in terms of science, the Church has given us some topnotch ones, including Gregor Mendel (the father of modern genetics, but also an Augustinian Father) and Georges Lemaitre (a Priest from Belgium and one of the progenitors of the Big Bang Theory).

I’ll never deny that there have been a ton of top notch Priest Scientists. What Teilhard put forth that led to his censure was that Genesis could be interpreted allegorically instead of literally and thus that evolution and Christianity were compatible. This is accepted today, but it is what the man was censured and kept away from his family for.

Those religions you mentioned are not really as unified as they may seem. Islam for instance has shiites, but there are other sects within Islam as well. Same for Jews there are liberal Jews and conservatives. No doubt Buddhism is the same if you look into it.

I guess that all those splits are the Protestants fault right?

it all depends since there are so many of them with the different beliefs.

some i suppose dont mess with us Catholics. but this new trend that is growing now and target Catholics wherever they are, yes, i dont like.

just yesterday in father Corapi program. i heard Alex Jones commenting how the Catholic Church is growing in Africa. then here comes evangelical pentecostal to Africa to target Catholics and to take them away from the Catholic Church. what do you call this? i say it is almost a demonic thing. the devil is the one who tries to steal from God. the wolves trying to steal from God’s Church, His people.

Peace.

Are you claiming that there were no Pentecostal’s in Africa prior to this trend?

Drawmack,
Perhaps there really isn’t a correlation between Protestantism and the increasing number of athiests. Of course, the fact that people openly question selected tenets of the faith make it easier to continue on down that path and question even the existence of God. And some people, rather than choose between views of Christianity, might opt out entirely. But, I think more fundamental than that are other considerations that are not part of the Protestant schism, at least not directly. For instance, some just can’t believe in anything that they can’t put their hands on. Others are so focused on the things of this life, that they give no thought to what comes next. Others need direct and immediate feedback that they might not get from God. This seems to me to be an artifact of our highly driven society more than anything.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.