Are you being called?

Is God calling you to the preisthood or religious life? If so, are you willing?

[quote=Paris Blues]Is God calling you to the preisthood or religious life? If so, are you willing?
[/quote]

I was willing, but after much prayer I realized it was not my calling.:slight_smile:

[font=Comic Sans MS]I am FINALLY accepting the CC! I’m also realizing that I am a “closet Catholic”!

:rotfl: [/font]

I thought you came out of the closet:p

[quote=Genesis315]I was willing, but after much prayer I realized it was not my calling.:slight_smile:

I thought you came out of the closet:p
[/quote]

Oops! I need to change my signature! I meant, I realized I WAS a closet Catholic all along most of the time and didn’t realize it until I understood what the CC was teaching and talking about!

But anyway, I do feel like I’m called but I’m not quite sure…

Right now, I’m still trying to figure it out. I’m willing to go where God leads me as long as I am sure that He is really leading me. I want to make sure I’m not making the mistake of misinterpreting His call to me to be holy as a call to enter the religious life.

There is nothing I want more than to answer Christ’s call to the religious life, I just need to excersize patience and wait a little while longer before I can appy to the Sisters of the Congregation of Our Lady of Mercy.:smiley:

Yes, I can sense that I’m being called too but how do you REALLY know if it’s a Call or just a desire within ourselves?

I recommend the book Discerning Vocations to Marriage, Celibacy, and Singlehood by Marie Theresa Coombs and Francis Kelly Nemeck.

Carefully read and honestly reflect on what’s being said. It should help tremendously. Another good suggestion is making an Ignatian Spiritual Retreat. The longer, the better.

David

I don’t know. I pray about it from time to time. I’m 25 and am engaged. Sometimes I think that I could be a deacon when I’m in my 30s.

Yes I am being called to the priesthood and yes I’m willing to answer that call. And even if I’m wrong they say ex-seminarians make good husbands.

[quote=Paris Blues]Yes, I can sense that I’m being called too but how do you REALLY know if it’s a Call or just a desire within ourselves?
[/quote]

Hi Paris!

For me personally, I absolutly KNOW without a doubt that I am being called to the religious life. Not only is there a very deep certainty in the deepest part of me, but I have had it confirmend by people, first and formost by my priest. It’s rather hard to explain, but it is so simple for me. People are always surprised at the simpleness of my calling. I tell them that when God speaks, He is always very simple.
I suggest you talk to your preist about it if you haven’t done so already, or your spiritual director, if you have one. And before you do so, pray (you may want to make a small novena- maybe not 9 days, but however long you feel moved to) that God grants your priest/ spiritual director light and knowlege regarding this issue and then voice your feelings to him. Trust that God will use him to guide you.
It doesn’t hurt to ask God Himself for a sign. Some may think that it is a way of ‘testing God’ but in my case, it wasn’t that at all. It was a pure desire of wanting to do God’s Will for me, and if He wanted me to be a Nun, then I’d throw miyself in it heart and soul, but I needed confirmation that this was indeed a ‘true calling’. For me, I asked that if this is what He wants me to do, then if he could make it VERY obvious. And of course He answered my prayer.
I hope this helps.
Know that I will pray for you and your priest!

Jade

I know an ex-seminarian, he is a very good husband and is a very devout Catholic. They decided after he felt he was called that it wasn’t for him, and I believe they were right.
I went to seminary with him for 2 weeks, and it was beautiful. I went just as a vacation to check it out when I was about 17 years old and you can visit seminaries without making a commitment, just for info, discernment.
I was pretty weak in my faith and only went because I thought it was a vacation, I didn’t even know why I really was Catholic. I have since wandered away and came back to the Church, but those 2 weeks are a peaceful memory that remains with me, which I wish I could return to sometimes.
I know my vocation now is to be a husband, and it is good, but sometimes I do have pull to the other life. Maybe I will find that come full circle later on in life, in maybe as a deacon. If it is God’s will.

When I was young, around 12, I remember wanting to become a nun and i actually told everyone at the dinner table that I wanted to be one.

How do you know if you are being called?

Sometimes I think He is calling for me but sometimes I think it’s me saying that in my head. I would love to devote ALL my time to God and I try as best as I can, but I want to marry and have children and serve God that way…but how do I know for sure if that is what He wants of me? I ask Him to give me a sign but what if I miss it?

What should I do?

~Kerry

This might help a little: [/font]

[quote=Paris Blues]Is God calling you to the preisthood or religious life? If so, are you willing?
[/quote]

Yes and yes. I praise God every day for bringing me to the Catholic faith and showing me this calling.

For those interested in religious life, here are some great sites to check out:

religiouslife.com/
cmswr.org
cloisters.tripod.com

God bless,
Lily628

To be totally honest, I have thought about it before, ever since I was a freshman in high school and met some Jesuits. I very seriously considered it (I have always wanted to do something science oriented, but for some reason thought about being a priest for a while, then decided that my heart did not lie in the priesthood). However, I realized that the priesthood is not my calling. I will do better to serve God as a faithful parishoner. I feel I am being called to the medical profession as well as to become a father after school. So, there you have it. Priest = not my thing. Doctor + father + husband = my thing.

Eamon

[/quote]

Yes, I still feel that call even now that I’m married. And yes, I am willing, if it is His will.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.