Are you glad you went to your high school class reunion?

My 20th is next month and I’m trying to decide whether to go.

My 20th is also coming up, and I’m on the planning committee so I’m going :smiley: I went to my 10th and had a great time. There were still some “kids” that never got over high school so they all sat together in their little clique; but for the most part, everyone just talked and caught up and had a grand old time. So go and enjoy.

I voted “other” because I didn’t go. The 10 year reunion was last summer and I was at a wedding that night but the reunion location was at a bar on the way home from the wedding reception to my house. I decided to drive by and possibly stop in. I saw the same group of smokers standing out front of the bar as there had been 10 years earlier standing smoking in front of the high school. I rolled my eyes at my husband and said “let’s keep moving and just go home” and I never stopped in. I doubt that group has changed much since high school. :rolleyes:

Anyone I wanted to keep in contact with from high school now, I was already in contact with. Everyone else didn’t really matter to me. My high school was so large, I hardly even knew anyone anyways. And the biggest thing? I think high school was a point in my life I would rather forget. University was so much better. :slight_smile:

I changed schools my senior year to do Running Start so I don’t have any reunions to go to.

I went to my 20th. I will not go to any others. It was a huge waste of time and money.

As we have lived about 1500 miles from “home” most of the time since we have been married (34 years), we have only managed to get back to one high school reunion - our 25th. Actually, we made it to dh’s and mine - by some miracle they were the same Thanksgiving weekend.

I had been quiet and definitely not in the “in crowd” (my other wouldn’t let me :slight_smile: ) in high school, though friendly with many people. It was fascinating to see classmates 25 years later; the cheerleaders had gotten fat, and the cool guys were balding and paunchy!!! What a change. Some of the same cliques were evident. but dh and I had a great time; we had been involved in ballroom dance lessons for a couple years and really cut a rug! Plus, my dh is handsome and I LOVED showing him off :slight_smile:

We’ve not been able to get back again, and I really am not in touch with old classmates. If it was convenient, we’d likely attend again for the heck of it, though.

I don’t attend reunions for the high school I actually graduated from…but with the class I attended 4th grade through my sophomore year, in a small rural town in Northern CA. My father was transferred to San Francisco at the beginning of my junior year and I really did not fit in at my new school. Although technically I am not a member of the graduating class my friends wouldn’t have a reunion without me. For my 30th a few years ago, I stayed at the home of my nephew about 30 miles away and boy was he shocked when I rolled in at 4:00am. You know the time just gets away when your catching up with your childhood friends. My older sister and I are two years apart and many of my friends are married to men from her class (she actually graduated with her class) so we stay connected that way plus most of my sister’s friends have sibs or cousins or both in my class.

My vote was for “other”. I did not go to my 10th year class reunion in 2005 because none of my close high school friends did either. We decided to do our own reunion. I then heard that nothing exciting happenend and that most of the ones that showed up were the “crazy ones” that have not changed a bit. LOL! :smiley:

I graduated from high school in 1965 from a small school in upstate New York. Our class was the first from our school to have more than one-hundred graduates. We have had a reunion every five years, and I have only missed one even though we have lived all over the world. As time has gone on, I have enjoyed seeing how most people actually do grow up, and have enjoyed talking to people who I was not friends with in high school. I also enjoy keeping up with my close friends. I give a lot of credit to those girls (and guys) who still live in our home town, and have put eight reunions together during the past 43 years.

I graduated from high school in 1965 from a small school in upstate New York. Our class was the first from our school to have more than one-hundred graduates. We have had a reunion every five years, and I have only missed one even though we have lived all over the world. As time has gone on, I have enjoyed seeing how most people actually do grow up, and have enjoyed talking to people who I was not friends with in high school. I also enjoy keeping up with my close friends. I give a lot of credit to those girls (and guys) who still live in our home town, and have put eight reunions together during the past 43 years.

My class was the first to graduate from the new regional high school, which had gathered students from 2 different high schools in town and 2 from neighbouring communities.

I went to my 10th & my 25th and had a great time both times. The people I was friends with are scattered across Canada and we don’t keep in touch. The last time I saw some of them was at Midnight Mass 2003 when we happened to all be visiting our parents for Christmas. It’s always nice to get together over dinner and drinks and catch up on each other’s lives.

What I didn’t like was the way that even after 25 years some people wouldn’t let your past go: One charismatic guy, who had taken drugs in HS (most of my friends did acid & mescaline back then) and had been an alcoholic by the time he went to university, had pulled himself up by his bootstraps, gotten a few degrees and was now a hospital administrator. Someone felt the need to wonder out loud if it was so he’d have easier access to drugs.

I went to my 10-year reunion, and after everyone had a couple of drinks, they reverted back to the same old cliques they had in high school. What a waste of time, money, and a nice dress. I skipped the reunions ever since, although I did plan to go to my 30-year. It was going to be a casual cook-out kind of thing and sounded like fun. But on the way there, the alternator went out on my car. I guess God had other plans for me that night… :shrug:

We haven’t had one yet lol.
I’m not really too interested in going though, I see some of the girls from my class at the bar back home sometimes when we would be on holiday breaks and some of them have acted weird towards me and my friends.

I went to my 5, 10, and 15.

For some reason no one organized a 20, and now next year is my 25 and who knows if anyone will put that together-- probably not.

I have about 5 friends that I keep up with from HS, and we email, write, visit and they all came to my wedding 3 years ago.

I guess my nostalgia gene has been purged b/c I have no desire to go back now for any sort of reunion. At the 15 year mark, I had a good time, but overall the same cliques sat together, the catty girls were still catty girls, the class drunk hit on me (!) even though he’s married, and it was just not all that great.

I graduated with in a small town with 21 in my graduating class. At the time of my tenth reunion, I failed to receive any information regarding my reunion. :crying: I would have love to go, but without knowing the weekend, location, or who was in charge, I couldn’t. I still have family living there, so I guess I could have called. I only lived 30 miles away at the time. Hopefully, I will get to go to my 20th.

Our 25th was great since it was over an entire weekend and included something for the kids too. We had a wine & cheese the first night, various activities on Saturday, with a banquet & dance that night and then the family BBQ on Sunday.

I recall my daughter counting ‘12, 13, 14…’ as various classmates exclaimed “Oh, my God, do you ever look like your mother!” That was the summer when relatives coming into the house and seeing us from the back called us by each other’s names – not flattering to a teen ager 25 years younger than her mom.:smiley: Made me feel great, though!

My 10th was in 2005 and we went. It was fun, not too many of us showed up, but it was interesting to see everyone again. If we’re in the area when my 20th rolls around, I’ll go to that.

My class had 10, 20, 25, and 32 (50th birthday party) reunions, then switched to a group reunion (1960-1970) format. I went to the 10th and birthday party had had fun. The group reunion was the best, however, because we got to see old friends that were not in the class.

I went to mine. I’m glad I went. I wouldn’t say I had a “great time” but it was really interesting to see what had become of people, based on the decisions they made in high school. The kids who dropped out and did vocational were actually doing better than most - they all owned their own businesses and were in control of their lives - they had the freedom that they’d been seeking all that time.

The straight A kids were rich, of course, but just as much slaves to their money as they were to their grades in high school. They had what they wanted, but they didn’t have the freedom that they were expecting, I don’t think. Most of them were nine-to-fivers, working for large corporations with their time being structured for them. Retirement will probably kill those people; they won’t know what to do with themselves.

The girly-girls were all divorced and back living with their parents. I felt vindicated. :smiley:

The two that got married at age 16 were celebrating their 25th anniversary and bragging about their house full of kids. :slight_smile:

Like I say, it was interesting. Not “fun” as such, although everyone was very civilized and pleasant.

haha these stories are great! I think with facebook being around, a lot of people have “high school groups” so you can just go in there and see who else is online and what they are up to. That was satisfying enough for me.

Jmcrae, it’s sooo true that people who went and did vocational school or starting working earlier than those who went to college are doing so well eh?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.