Are you kidding me? A remake of True Grit?

They’re remaking the Duke’s Oscar role? I’m sorry, y’all, but Jeff Bridges is a good actor, but he is not John Wayne.

I’ve seen some of the trailers on TV, and I hate it already :mad: :thumbsdown:

DaveBj

[quote="DaveBj, post:1, topic:221230"]
They're remaking the Duke's Oscar role? I'm sorry, y'all, but Jeff Bridges is a good actor, but he is not John Wayne.

I've seen some of the trailers on TV, and I hate it already :mad: :thumbsdown:

DaveBj

[/quote]

lol yeah when I saw the trailer for the first time I thought "You've got to be kidding me!!!":eek:
Only John Wayne can play Rooster Cogburn!!!

They're remaking the Duke's Oscar role? I'm sorry, y'all, but Jeff Bridges is a good actor, but he is not John Wayne.

DaveBj

[/quote]

Were you sitting in my living room last night? :eek: Because the title of your thread are the exact words I uttered when I saw the commercial for this! :p

What a waste of time it was to remake this film. :shrug:

Yep, same thoughts exactly. Some films should just never be remade, this is one of them.

Has any John Wayne film ever been remade? I can't think of a one, but then my memory is not trustworthy on topics like popular culture.

DaveBj

DaveBj

[/quote]

Not everyone likes John Wayne. There's a famous line from the 80's movie "Repo Man," later used in a punk band's song lyric that I won't repeat here. Which is to say, some of us Generation X'ers and Millenials, while we may be familiar with John Wayne and his movies, don't exactly think he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's refreshing to see people on screen who look like me (e.g., geeks like Michael Cera and Seth Rogen, and 'average'-looking guys like Jeff Bridges.) I don't know that many guys who can relate to John Wayne, nor do I know that many women who'd swoon over him. Life moves on.

Never saw the original...not really a John Wayne fan....not really a Jeff Bridges fan either.....the only John Wayne movies I enjoyed to any degree was "The Searchers" and "Angel and the Badman"....they did a remake of "AatB" with Lou Diamond Phillips...really bad....I'd expect "True Grit" to be just a aweful.

[quote="havana1, post:6, topic:221230"]
Not everyone likes John Wayne. There's a famous line from the 80's movie "Repo Man," later used in a punk band's song lyric that I won't repeat here. Which is to say, some of us Generation X'ers and Millenials, while we may be familiar with John Wayne and his movies, don't exactly think he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's refreshing to see people on screen who look like me (e.g., geeks like Michael Cera and Seth Rogen, and 'average'-looking guys like Jeff Bridges.) I don't know that many guys who can relate to John Wayne, nor do I know that many women who'd swoon over him. Life moves on.

[/quote]

John Wayne wasn't a average looking guy? Well he wasn't exactly a brad pitt either.
I don't mind remakes of films as a general rule. Sometimes you see a old movie with a good story that is done badly. Sometimes it's a old movie with bad special effect etc
But true grit is neither. It doesn't require any special effects. And the acting and story line was brilliant. I pity Jeff Bridges. He has a hard act to live up too.

I would have to agree that John Wayne was not necessarily the greatest actor in the world. In fact, he only ever had one character, and that was John Wayne. But he did that character like nobody else could.

DaveBj

The original True Grit was done in almost a comedic tone. This one looks to be a lot darker and more serious.

[quote="havana1, post:6, topic:221230"]

[/quote]

I don't think it has anything to do with liking or not liking John Wayne. I'm not a huge Marlon Brando fan, but I don't want to see any current version of his critically acclaimed movies either. For me, I'd rather see some more originality and creativity come out of Hollywood than they trying to rehash old movies.

I'm a Gen Xer, but even I can appreciate the great movies from the past as well as appreciate some great new talent out there as well.

A decline in the creativity of the movie industry is inversely proportional to the number of remakes and sequels produced.

Did any of you bother to check the facts.

This is an adaption of the novel by Charles Portis, not a remake of the JW film. I will definitely be seeing this

[quote="KevinAK, post:13, topic:221230"]
Did any of you bother to check the facts.

This is an adaption of the novel by Charles Portis, not a remake of the JW film. I will definitely be seeing this

[/quote]

Both films are based on the same novel. Same characters, same story. The Coen Brothers just wrote their own screenplay adaption.

By your reasoning, it would be ok for someone to redo Gone With the Wind if they wrote their own adaption of the book.

I’m really looking forward to the remake. The original was only so so I thought. Too silly and comical. I like that this one looks darker. And I think Jeff Bridges will do a wonderful job. He was incredible in Crazy Heart.
I’m not a big John Wayne fan. I liked ‘The Quiet Man’ and ‘North to Alaska’, but other wise I usually change the channel when his movies come on. As far as western movies go, give me Clint anyday.

I don’t see why people always throw a tizzy when a movie is remade. Take ‘Gone with the Wind’. I don’t see a problem with them remaking it. I love the original movie, but they did leave out some stuff that was in the book. That being said, I don’t think that movie could be remade simply because you could not find actors to portray those charactors. That is literally one if not the greatest movie ever made. The original True Grit is not the greatest movie by a long shot.

[quote="child_of_God85, post:15, topic:221230"]
I'm really looking forward to the remake. The original was only so so I thought. Too silly and comical. I like that this one looks darker. And I think Jeff Bridges will do a wonderful job. He was incredible in Crazy Heart.
I'm not a big John Wayne fan. I liked 'The Quiet Man' and 'North to Alaska', but other wise I usually change the channel when his movies come on. As far as western movies go, give me Clint anyday.

I don't see why people always throw a tizzy when a movie is remade. Take 'Gone with the Wind'. I don't see a problem with them remaking it. I love the original movie, but they did leave out some stuff that was in the book. That being said, I don't think that movie could be remade simply because you could not find actors to portray those charactors. That is literally one if not the greatest movie ever made. The original True Grit is not the greatest movie by a long shot.

[/quote]

I would agree that TG was not the greatest movie ever made. In fact, I would agree that it is not even a great movie. But it is an iconic movie, which a whole 'nother category.

With regard to remaking GWTW, rather than hijack my own thread, I am going to start another thread about that, but tonight, not now. I have to go to work.

DaveBj

[quote="DaveBj, post:5, topic:221230"]
Has any John Wayne film ever been remade? I can't think of a one, but then my memory is not trustworthy on topics like popular culture.

DaveBj

[/quote]

I think there was a remake of "Stagecoach" back in the 60's.

The actors you mentioned typically play the “everyman” archetype, in contrast to the “hero” archetype. This archetype is in some cases also called the “unlikely hero”. The everyman archetype is by no means new to Generation X (e.g., Jimmy Stewart, Jack Lemmon, Dustin Hoffman.) In fact, the just the term “everyman” predates film and television by hundreds of years, the underlying concept is much, much older.

If you prefer the everyman, that’s fine, but Rooster Cogburn is far from the everyman in the original True Grit, and I highly doubt he will be in the new one either. If anything, the character is an anti-hero.

I prefer my anti-hero to be of the Sam Spade (Humphrey Bogart) variety, in particular “The Maltese Falcon.” I don’t think many people realize what a sleazy, womanizing creep that character is - rare for a movie of that era.

The only John Wayne movie that I could see fitting the ‘anti-hero’ mold you describe would be “The Searchers” - and certainly not “Rio Bravo,” for example, or “The High And The Mighty,” as he was very ‘heroic’ in that. He even a played a Catholic high school coach in “Trouble Along The Way” with Donna Reed. What’s so “anti-hero” about that? **In short, I never thought I’d ever see “anti-hero” and “John Wayne” mentioned in the same sentence. ** :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.