Are you saved?

“Are you saved?”

My dad asked me this today, I have been avoiding it for a while, but I felt we needed to talk it over.

I answered:

“I am part of the Body of Christ. If I am in the state of grace, I hope God keeps me there; if I am not, then I hope God puts me there” - this is what Joan of Arc said during her trial.

When someone tells me they are “saved”, they tell me that right now, if they die, they will go to heaven, because they accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

I agree that Jesus is our Lord and our Savior, but I do not feel that we can be assured of our salvation.

Nor do I think it is our place to claim we possess the knowledge of our salvation. God does the saving, He is the savior. Why can’t we accept this and hope in our salvation, but not be assured of it? Does it grant us more grace or a closer relationship with God to know that we are saved instead of hoping in our salvation?

Note: My dad does believe that, because of free will, we can lose our state of grace, so we are not always “saved” once saved (OSAS). However, he does insist that because he believes Jesus is his Savior, he can be assured of his salvation.

My question:

Is there any sense in which a Christian can state he is “saved”? Or can we just answer that no one is truly saved until they are dead and see the face of God in Heaven?

Have a blessed Easter everyone!

Murph

“Are you saved?” asks your father.

The good Catholic responce should be:

"As the Bible says, I am already saved (Rom. 8:24, Eph. 2:5–8), but I’m also being saved (1 Cor. 1:8, 2 Cor. 2:15, Phil. 2:12), and I have the hope that I *will be *saved (Rom. 5:9–10, 1 Cor. 3:12–15). Like the apostle Paul I am working out my salvation in fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12), with hopeful confidence in the promises of Christ (Rom. 5:2, 2 Tim. 2:11–13)."

Once saved always saved

As the Scriptures shown show, there are different contexts for the term. In the common use, no one on earth can tell you that they “are saved” because…well…they are still on earth. :rolleyes:

From What? Sharks? Elephants? Bears? Always ask what they mean by “saved” too, because most people think its their get out of hell free ticket.

Bingo. Exactly.
:thumbsup:

Its one of those questions that begs another. I remember once back in Pittsburgh, a zealous group of evangelicals spray-painted graffiti on the sidewalks downtown with the message: Jesus is the answer.
I thought, “but what was the question?”

If asked this by a protestant I’ll give an unequivocal “Yes!”. IMHO this is the time to come to them using their own language and praise the Lord for what he has done for me, He died for my sins and forgave them ALL and has led me onto the road towards personal Holiness. He’s my shepherd and is leading me to heaven. Sure, it might not be 100% accurate, there are some if’s and’s and but’s, but this is not the time for them. YES Jesus saved me, lets not let a few theological details get in the way of that great truth :slight_smile: Of course if there is more time to discuss you can give more details, but I think the simple plain answer is YES :smiley:

The termed “saved” in this context refers to the questions, “are you justified by faith?” and “are you certain of your eternal salvation?”. The Protestants and we Catholics have a different outlook upon the matter. I believe the question also stems from the “Once Saved Always Saved” mentality of some Protestant denominations. A proper response to you father might be an explanation that you have a different view on justification and salvation than he does. You can explain that making a verbal profession of faith does not insure your salvation. Or you could get a bit smart with him, and say that you are uncertain that your profession of faith is genuine enough for Once Saved Always Saved. They say you are OSAS only if the profession of faith is genuine enough, and of course that is a bit hard to objectively decide for yourself. If anything you should ask him if he is saved. Ask him if his profession was genuine enough. Judas was obviously not OSAS. Then you can always throw Matthew 7 21-23 at him.

Being Roman Catholic is a blessing. We are the ONLY faithful who TRULY KNOW we are saved! As long as we are faithful to Christ’s Teachings{ His Catholic Church},and repent our sinfulness, we KNOW we are saved.

Dr. Hahn, if you’re going to post to this thread, please use your real name.

I usually reply “I have been justified; my salvation is being worked out.”

JSA+

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.