Are You Saved?

“Have you accepted the Lord, Jesus Christ as your personal savior?” How do you respond to that, and why are Catholics almost ‘special’ targets of protestants queries?

Sometimes, I just want to give back a ‘snappy’ answer, but I’d rather give thoughtful answers. I know that I belong to the only Church established by Jesus Christ with all her fullness and tradition. I know that I have to work on my salvation everyday, but I have his precious body and blood coursing through my veins at this very moment. I’ve been baptized, to wash away original sin. When I fall, I have the Sacrament of Reconciliation to restore me. I’m married, and receive Graces there.

But how do you charitably reply to that question, particularly when you truly believe that it is their soul endangered by some wanna-be church?

Um…how does…

“Yes, yes i have” sound?

Believing Catholics technically have accepted Christ as personal saviour; granted, we believe that Christ acts through his Church. We still, however, believe that he is our saviour. So, in all technicalities, the best answer is…

“Yup.”

“God knows it.”

How about, I am redeemed and I am working out my salvation with fear and trembling?

[quote=cargopilot] I know that I belong to the only Church established by Jesus Christ with all her fullness and tradition. I know that I have to work on my salvation everyday, but I have his precious body and blood coursing through my veins at this very moment. I’ve been baptized, to wash away original sin. When I fall, I have the Sacrament of Reconciliation to restore me. I’m married, and receive Graces there.

[/quote]

That sounds like a very good answer to me.

Another thing that we can do is use that opportunity to turn things around.

Q "have you accepted the Lord Jesus as your personal savior?"
A "I’m not sure what mean by that - can you explain?"
Q To accept Christ is to be saved, as the Bible says.
A Well, did you know … (then be ready with some good scripture quotes to challenge the other person – in a friendly manner, of course).

[quote=cargopilot]“Have you accepted the Lord, Jesus Christ as your personal savior?” How do you respond to that
[/quote]

It depends on what I plan for the conversation. If I am busy, I can just say, “Yes. Amen, come Lord Jesus!”, and hope they go away.

But, if I have time and lots and lots of energy, I might try to find out if they are the OSAS type or not, and then try to talk about it with them. Be sure you can quote the bible on these topics. That will garner respect, so that your words can better be of help to them. I don’t mean manipulate and dazzle them! I simply mean what I said, that your chances of being of use to your brother increase with this ability.

Be sure you can quote the bible on these topics.

Why bother doing that when you can A) Quote Luke 10:16 and then B) slap em with a “Papa said so.”

I use to struggle with this too. Not because of my faith, but because of how it was worded, always seemed to be baiting. I now smile and say, “I personally except Jesus as my Lord and Savior everyday, and in the most personal way possible every time I go to Mass, I receive his very body and blood! How about you?” I don’t usually go into a salvation discussion because typically there isn’t enough time.:slight_smile:

[quote=Scholastic17]Why bother doing that when you can A) Quote Luke 10:16 and then B) slap em with a “Papa said so.”
[/quote]

Ah, you have sustained my real point: be able to quote the bible. Luke 10:16 would be such a quote. Of course, other bible quotes will be needed to talk about Peter, etc.

Of course, other bible quotes will be needed to talk about Peter, etc.

Not really. That isn’t even as concerning Peter individually. The thought process:

Christ said that he would vouchsafe whatever his disciples/apostles concurred on. (Luke 10:16)

The Catholic Church is the continuation of the apostolic offices. (The Pope and bishops in union with him)

Therefore, if the Magisterium and Papa say so, it must therefore be so.

Or simply put…

Papa said so. Nuff said. Subject closed. Boomshakalaka.

[quote=Scholastic17]Papa said so. Nuff said. Subject closed. Boomshakalaka.
[/quote]

I don’t think I could convincingly pull off the boomshakalaka portion of this argument.:tiphat:

[quote=cargopilot]“Have you accepted the Lord, Jesus Christ as your personal savior?” How do you respond to that, and why are Catholics almost ‘special’ targets of protestants queries?

Sometimes, I just want to give back a ‘snappy’ answer, but I’d rather give thoughtful answers. I know that I belong to the only Church established by Jesus Christ with all her fullness and tradition. I know that I have to work on my salvation everyday, but I have his precious body and blood coursing through my veins at this very moment. I’ve been baptized, to wash away original sin. When I fall, I have the Sacrament of Reconciliation to restore me. I’m married, and receive Graces there.

But how do you charitably reply to that question, particularly when you truly believe that it is their soul endangered by some wanna-be church?
[/quote]

I would respond by saying that I am working out my salvation with fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12) as Saint Paul said, or I would say “I am saved, being saved and hope to be saved.” Or I would respond with Mat. 7:21.

[quote=cargopilot]“Have you accepted the Lord, Jesus Christ as your personal savior?” How do you respond to that, and why are Catholics almost ‘special’ targets of protestants queries?

[/quote]

One such conversation that I had went like this.

Q: Do you go to Church?
A: Yes, I attend the Catholic Church.
Q: (acting excited) Do you know what you need to do to be saved?
A: Believe on the Lord and thou shalt be saved.
Q: (Shocked!) uh, well, uh.
A: You know, its in the Bible and it tells us to believ on Him
Q: Yes, yes I know. (thinking but I had no idea a Catholic did)
A; The bible also tells us that we need to continue to obey Him. (pull out a few more bible verses)

This talk went quite well. It was clearly NOT a OSAS person since we both were on the same page with the neccesity of “walking the walk”. But by opening the talk with the kind of “language” I knew they would understand, I actually got them to listen to me instead of just preach to me.

But it may also open the door for some seeds to be planted in the OSAS crowd. God’s word will not come back void.

Boy, my Evangelical roots are showing:)

God Bless,
Maria

Lol, i have one if you feel like being sarcastic:

“Accept him? I just ate him. Do i have any pieces of Jesus stuck between my teeth?” :smiley:

[quote=Scholastic17]Lol, i have one if you feel like being sarcastic:

“Accept him? I just ate him. Do i have any pieces of Jesus stuck between my teeth?” :smiley:
[/quote]

:rotfl: Okay, I wish they had a little laughing guy that did an evil laugh.

That was too funny. Shocking. Slightly evil. But funny:rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.