Are you sending Christmas Cards this year?

This is the first year I am thinking of not sending cards out. The postage has increased and I could probably put the money to better use. I know many are sending e-mails out rather than cards but that seems too easy I guess.

What are some thoughts...

Actually, this is the first year that I am thinking sending out Christmas cards again after more than 10 years. Although not I will not be sending the cards to all my friends and relatives but the ones who are important and close to me will definitely get them.

The reason is we are in the age where everything is easy and instant. I got friends who are on their BlackBerry all day sending message and replying emails and constantly updating their status on Facebook.

It is nice to prepare something special for my close friends and relatives. I even planned to have my family photo at front of the card. Anything that is prepared personally could better touch people in a personally level. I prefer this rather than email, blogs, twitter or SMS that could be easily forwarded to hundreds of people.

God Bless

I am thinking that I probably won't be because of the expense. Besides, ALL of my family and nearly all of my friends are on Facebook now, and we stay up to date that way.

Yes, definitely sending out Christmas cards! :)

Funny thing ... the ones I'll be sending to family and friends will be the ones I stocked up on that were on sale at the store two years ago, as well as the religious cards that come from fundraising groups. I have quite a supply, as I love cards and am a sucker for buying them when they're on sale. :christmastree1:

Meanwhile, this year I've started making and selling my own Christmas cards at art shows and craft fairs since I've become something of an artist. :o

~~ the phoenix

I am surprised the card companies are not putting out more postcard type choices.
I will be sending cards but wish for a good religious postcard.

*Yeah, probably will, I try to do that every year… although, the list might only be to immediate family and really close friends this year. I used to sit there for hours sending cards to people we never really talk to anymore…but, it’s always nice to stay in touch.

I am going to make our Christmas cards this year…I am glad you posted this thread. I was wondering how to take a picture my dd ‘‘drew’’ (she drew it electronically on the computer) of a Christmas tree, and snowman (cartoonish) and put it on like glossy paper, and then computerize the signature? I don’t have a great printer, so I’m wondering where I could take to have this done FOR CHEAP. :confused:

Seatuck…I love the idea of a postcard Christmas card…I have never seen those?

I can’t even imagine not sending Christmas cards to family and close friends - stamps don’t cost that much. And an e-card and face book mention are both rude, in my estimation.

I get tons of mailings from religious organizations wherein I can opt to have a Mass said for my family and/or friend and also to send a donation to the organization. What better present to send.

:harp:

[quote="mullenpm, post:7, topic:176882"]
I can't even imagine not sending Christmas cards to family and close friends - stamps don't cost that much. And an e-card and face book mention are both rude, in my estimation.

I get tons of mailings from religious organizations wherein I can opt to have a Mass said for my family and/or friend and also to send a donation to the organization. What better present to send.

:harp:

[/quote]

I love getting the cards when a mass will be said for my family. This is a card with a gift attatched!:)
I need to send this kind more often myself.

vistaprint.com is pretty much the cheapest place around for stuff like that.

I cut back years ago and only send them to family and close friends. Gearoidin

International cards already mailed as usual on Nov 15 and the local ones will get mailed on Dec 1.
I know a lot of people look forward to the cards....so will not disappoint them.

I've been sending postcards for the past two years. I can have them done at VistaPrint for a lot less than the photo cards used to cost and the postage is about half. It's a good way to cut down on the cost of sending cards without cutting people off the recipient list.

Thanks 1ke…I’ll check that out. I’m not much of a crafty person, so I need a lot of help to do these. :blush:

I always send Christmas cards each year, although the number I send out is less than it was a few years ago. I like making my own cards and sending them to family and close friends, but for causal friendships, I send store bought cards. It just wouldn't be Christmas for me without sending and receiving cards.

*May I ask, how have you made your cards in the past? *

I use scrapbooking materials, although I don’t do scrabooking, I do enjoy making my own cards. I am not an artistic or crafty person at all. I use rubber stamps, embelllishments, stickers, just simple things. I find examples of designs on the web and just take that design and start my own design. I usually end up with a card that looks nothing like the example, but it is something of my own.

We always send out photo Christmas cards of the family every year... although I do like the option of looking into the postcard ones.... thanks! :thumbsup:

We always send out cards for Christmas. I have each of our children draw a nativity picture and then make the cards from those drawings. I search for religious Christmas poetry/songs to include inside and try to come up with some sort of greeting. I write a personal greeting in most of the cards, as well.

Of course, we also include the dreaded "Christmas letter" w/pictures of the kids and highlights from the last year--nothing braggy--just a few things the kids are doing or enjoy. We live far from family so, this is a way to connect--but I suppose the letter/no letter debate would be for another thread (I know it exists somewhere here ;) :p )

The price of stamps is certainly increasing, but I don't know that I could do much with what I would save on not sending cards. If you think about it, you stick a 44-cent stamp on an envelope and they will take it ANYWHERE in the US--it's still a bargain ;) (but don't tell the post office that, they'll raise rates again!) :D

An email or facebook is no exchange for a personalized card--at least for me. We love getting cards!

I've never been able to send any, I am hoping this year I can! :D But we'll see how things go!!! lol I think it's great when people get to send cards it's very sweet!

I LOVE Christmas cards, both sending and receiving! I have pared down my list though. This year I made our own photo cards using the Cricut and other scrapbooking supplies. I bought plain cards & envelopes, cut frames for a shot of the kids, and used my Cricut to cut out the Holy Family, stable, angel and star to decorate the frames. I am very excited about them! I love December- the only month I run to the mailbox, to find a happy greeting or two mixed in with my bills!:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.