Are you tempted to publish your book on Facebook?

Facebook has bumped its character limit so now an author could “publish” a book in about ten updates. Does that interest you?

No. :slight_smile:

60,000+ character limit!?!? I’m trying to think of what possible need a person would have for that besides posting a novel.

Sometimes I like to give a blow by blow account of my year in facebook updates. :shrug:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

At least we can now carry on normal conversations. 60,000 chars seems a bit much, but, why not? :shrug:

But you know it's going to happen, right? Twitter novel, texting novel, IM novel, Facebook novel. The film adaptation would be a little... choppy.

It’s already been done - years ago.

Not under any of those names, of course - but someone in Germany kept an on-line diary of his relationship with his girlfriend that proved to be so popular that he simply published the text as is, with each day being a chapter division, and published it as a book. I remember it was a best-seller, and I bought it for a friend, and I’m trying to think which Christmas that was - it might have been 2002? And of course I can’t remember the name of the book at all. The girl’s name was Grethel, I remember that. But yeah - people have published their on-line ramblings before, already. :slight_smile: (What Grethel thought of the whole thing, I have no idea - but if he used the proceeds to buy her a house, I’m sure she didn’t mind too much.)

I’m Facebook free!

:smiley:

[quote="Bill_Dodds, post:1, topic:264806"]
Facebook has bumped its character limit so now an author could "publish" a book in about ten updates. Does that interest you?

[/quote]

No thanks.

Even POD publishing (which eliminates the need for editing or even spell-checking) offers the possibility of getting paid for writing a novel (good or bad, writing is hard work!)

I have a friend who writes fanfiction online, and who has published a novel, and as much as she hopes that her readers who LOVE to read her free fanfic will rush over to amazon.com to buy her novel, it hasn't happened yet. She HAS, however, gotten requests for her to publish her novel online in a blog. For free, of course.

I'll gladly use facebook as a means to advertise my work, but not to publish it.

[quote="Bill_Dodds, post:1, topic:264806"]
Facebook has bumped its character limit so now an author could "publish" a book in about ten updates. Does that interest you?

[/quote]

No. :) Not that I would publish any other way, either, but still NO. It's kind of off putting too, you know. Scary thought.

What use have you to publish on Facebook? I don’t get it though.
Of course it would be helpful for me; from time to time I like to post scraps of writing, poetry or commentary or anything else that I may be inspired to.

But to actually “publish” on Facebook doesn’t seem quite feasible to me.

Much more interested in YouTube's new 2 hour limit, with it's 3D options.

Now that Nintendo has unlocked 10minute 3D video recording on the 3DS perhaps my 3D home movies may go on the tube in an extended format.

finance.yahoo.com/news/how-i-became-a-best-selling-author-.html

$0.99 a "copy" is better than nothing... :D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.