Are you worried about the economy?

The markets are insane!!!! Is anyone feeling nervous or worried?

America owes most of it's money to China...this is really really scary!!!! China is becoming a very powerful nation by lending money to many Western countries...it's reminiscent of how America became powerful during WWII.

I put my children's education fund in a equity fund where the principal is always guaranteed. I'm so glad I did this now!!! The fund expires in 4 years.

Do you think a global depression could be coming?

I think living in a panic is good for no one. Pray for our leaders to be given wisdom beyond reckoning, they need a lot because there seems to be a deficit in Washington DC.

We will soon have to make a choice as to what direction we all wish to go in. I do not know what form this will come in, but I liken the situation to a tsunami. The earthquake has already happened, but the wave hasn’t quite hit us yet, we are still playing on the beach. But the wave will come.

In the meantime, pray.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:2, topic:251479"]
I think living in a panic is good for no one. Pray for our leaders to be given wisdom beyond reckoning, they need a lot because there seems to be a deficit in Washington DC.

We will soon have to make a choice as to what direction we all wish to go in. I do not know what form this will come in, but I liken the situation to a tsunami. The earthquake has already happened, but the wave hasn't quite hit us yet, we are still playing on the beach. But the wave will come.

In the meantime, pray.

[/quote]

I've read a few articles that say this is the beginning of Revelations...I don't know what to think of it.

[quote="Serap, post:3, topic:251479"]
I've read a few articles that say this is the beginning of Revelations...I don't know what to think of it.

[/quote]

I don't buy into anyone that is constantly looking for signs of Revelations. That's buying into the panic that people like Glenn Beck likes to create.

Am I keeping a watch on the economy? Yes. Am I overly concerned about it? Not yet. But I am considering what's going to happen between now and 2012 and who gets my vote.

In case you wondered, we Catholics do not believe that the book of Revelation is predictive. It was written in code for what happened in Rome during Nero's reign, I believe, and the evangelical viewpoint that the events written of have not yet happened is very recent.

Just as we don't believe in "rapture."

[quote="PatriceA, post:4, topic:251479"]
I don't buy into anyone that is constantly looking for signs of Revelations. That's buying into the panic that people like Glenn Beck likes to create.

Am I keeping a watch on the economy? Yes. Am I overly concerned about it? Not yet. But I am considering what's going to happen between now and 2012 and who gets my vote.

[/quote]

Serap can't vote in our elections, so she must feel a little more helpless when it comes to our economic pickle!

:D

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:2, topic:251479"]
...I liken the situation to a tsunami. The earthquake has already happened, but the wave hasn't quite hit us yet, we are still playing on the beach. But the wave will come.

[/quote]

Oh, I like it. (Your analogy, not the economic situation.) If you don't mind, I'm going to use it myself. Everyone will think I've been struck with a flash of brilliance.

[quote="rick43235, post:7, topic:251479"]
Oh, I like it. (Your analogy, not the economic situation.) If you don't mind, I'm going to use it myself. Everyone will think I've been struck with a flash of brilliance.

[/quote]

Feel free. Any time I can contribute to the impression of someone else's brilliance, it gives me points in Heaven.

:D

:rotfl::rotfl:

[quote="Serap, post:1, topic:251479"]
The markets are insane!!!! Is anyone feeling nervous or worried?

America owes most of it's money to China...this is really really scary!!!! China is becoming a very powerful nation by lending money to many Western countries...it's reminiscent of how America became powerful during WWII.

I put my children's education fund in a equity fund where the principal is always guaranteed. I'm so glad I did this now!!! The fund expires in 4 years.

[/quote]

I am not worried about the economy.
I hope I am living to please God.
God can handle the unknown.
Why should I worry?

[quote="catharina, post:10, topic:251479"]
I am not worried about the economy.
I hope I am living to please God.
God can handle the unknown.
Why should I worry?

[/quote]

He tells us all through His book not to worry.

"Fear not, I am with you."

He is in charge. If we would but trust Him more, we wouldn't be in the situations we're in in the first place. It's hard to trust Him with our very lives but He loves us enough to take care of us.

Worry is pointless, it just deprives you of sleep. Concerned, yes. For good reasons:

1. This government is systematically unable to control spending. Even when they talk about "spending cuts" they aren't. The best they've ever been able to do in my lifetime is reduce the rate spending grows at (then they lie and call that 'cutting the deficit'). They WILL bankrupt this country. And it's our fault for electing them and quibbling over details while debt devours our nation. Add up all the taxes you pay. I'd be shocked if it is under 50% of your total income. I know mine are (don't forget sales taxes, property taxes, etc). They can't take much more without us rebelling.

2. This economy isn't real anymore. Real economies take low value things, add skilled labor and knowledge and produce high value things. We've created a fantasy we call "service economy" that is an utter lie. Passing the same dollar back and forth isn't creating wealth. Only making things creates wealth. The USA does less of that all the time and more of the fundamentally worthless things. The financial manipulators have so messed up the indicators that it is no longer possible to tell if our trade deficit (the difference between what we buy from other countries and what they buy from us) has exceeded our own internal growth rate from value-added activity. Once we're past that point, we're screwed (and my gut is that we are, or the parasites wouldn't be obfuscating the data so badly).

3. We have too few children to support our safety net systems (Social Security, Medicare, etc). This will accelerate the collapse by bankrupting the safety net system even before the overall government is insolvent.

4. We've accepted a global military role that we cannot afford. One nation of 400 million cannot indefinately spend more on military than the other 3.6 billion on the planet combined and expect to sustain that. It's stupid. WWII is over, time to ramp down.

But the sky isn't falling. We just would be wise to relearn the many and varied skills it takes to survive without a nanny government to watch over us and provide for us. Learn to garden. Learn how to provide your family with clean water and sanitation if the system breaks down. Learn to fix broken things. Avoid excessive skill specialization at the expense of what would have been considered ordinary skills of life 60 years ago. Take your family camping. Develop a mindset and skill set that will allow you to adapt and survive no matter what comes. Doing so doesn't have to be an excercise in Doomsday preparation, just have fun being human like humans have been for the vast majority of history. I'm thinking of getting chickens! Enjoy the conveniences of modern life, but avoid dependency on them. Interesting times lie ahead for us.

[quote="Serap, post:1, topic:251479"]

[/quote]

even if I did think so how would my worry and anxiety help the situation? am I following the events in the news media, yes. Am I worried and anxious, no. Those are useless and destructive emotions and even if I were in a position somehow--congressman, banker whatever--to make some kind of meaningful contribution to remedy the situation, I would simply take the proper action, not waste time and energy in anxiety and worry.

we have had 3 hits to our retirement portfolio since our official retirement (there is a joke for you) so are inured to this.

please tell me how your emotions are helping you personally weather the crisis.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:11, topic:251479"]
He tells us all through His book not to worry.

"Fear not, I am with you."

He is in charge. If we would but trust Him more, we wouldn't be in the situations we're in in the first place. It's hard to trust Him with our very lives but He loves us enough to take care of us.

[/quote]

Most specifically:

Matthew 6:

26 Look at the birds in the sky; they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are not you more important than they?
27 Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span?*
28 Why are you anxious about clothes? Learn from the way the wild flowers grow. They do not work or spin.
29 But I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was clothed like one of them.
30 If God so clothes the grass of the field, which grows today and is thrown into the oven tomorrow, will he not much more provide for you, O you of little faith?
31 So do not worry and say, ‘What are we to eat?’ or ‘What are we to drink?’ or ‘What are we to wear?’
32 All these things the pagans seek. Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.
33 But seek first the kingdom (of God) and his righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides.
34 *Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself. Sufficient for a day is its own evil. *

Concerned? Sure. But as others have said, my trust is in God. I have worried in the past, but God has provided. This time is a test of faith, and a challenge of priorities, not just on the government level but in each individual's personal life. It is tempting to be jealous of another's savings, I must admit (we have maybe $300 total in savings), but I am working hard with God's Grace to make sure that that jealousy doesn't cross the line into envy. With God's Grace, I am looking at what I am blessed with (and that is A LOT). I am blessed with a lot of family to love, my five senses, indoor plumbing, clean water, a roof over my head, food in my stomach, a car, a job, on and on. Just because I worry if I will be able to pay all my bills each month does not mean I am not blessed. I created my debt mess, but I know if things got worse, I'd still be abundantly blessed than a majority in this world. And to top it off, I live in a country where I don't have to fear my life and liberty to worship God openly.

[quote="gmarie21, post:15, topic:251479"]
Concerned? Sure. But as others have said, my trust is in God. I have worried in the past, but God has provided. This time is a test of faith, and a challenge of priorities, not just on the government level but in each individual's personal life. It is tempting to be jealous of another's savings, I must admit (we have maybe $300 total in savings), but I am working hard with God's Grace to make sure that that jealousy doesn't cross the line into envy. With God's Grace, I am looking at what I am blessed with (and that is A LOT). I am blessed with a lot of family to love, my five senses, indoor plumbing, clean water, a roof over my head, food in my stomach, a car, a job, on and on. Just because I worry if I will be able to pay all my bills each month does not mean I am not blessed. I created my debt mess, but I know if things got worse, I'd still be abundantly blessed than a majority in this world. And to top it off, I live in a country where I don't have to fear my life and liberty to worship God openly.

[/quote]

I happened to turn on EWTN the other day, I think it was Saturday, and there was a show on Catholic Tibetans. These faithful Catholics wait an entire YEAR for a visit from a priest!!!! On Assumption Sunday, they MIGHT get a visiting priest who celebrates Mass in Chinese, which almost none of them can understand (but one villager could understand it and translate for them). They are so happy to have a Mass and here I am taking it for granted - I can go to daily Mass/Adoration if I want to. I can walk around carrying my Bible and I can wear a cross or even a crucifix openly and not fear for my life. My goodness how I am blessed!!!

[quote="gmarie21, post:15, topic:251479"]

[/quote]

YES!

First we have the priceless gift of Faith.
Remarkably, we live in a nation where we are free to live our Faith.

Wow.

I don’t worry in general over things I can’t control except my own finances or problems. In some cases we just have to ride things out. I think the main problem is all the good jobs have been shipped over seas and only low paying service jobs seem to be left. How they expect people to make a decent living and still have funds to buy things is beyond my understanding. :eek::mad:

[quote="manualman, post:12, topic:251479"]
Worry is pointless, it just deprives you of sleep. Concerned, yes. For good reasons:

But the sky isn't falling. We just would be wise to relearn the many and varied skills it takes to survive without a nanny government to watch over us and provide for us. Learn to garden. Learn how to provide your family with clean water and sanitation if the system breaks down. Learn to fix broken things. Avoid excessive skill specialization at the expense of what would have been considered ordinary skills of life 60 years ago. Take your family camping. Develop a mindset and skill set that will allow you to adapt and survive no matter what comes. Doing so doesn't have to be an excercise in Doomsday preparation, just have fun being human like humans have been for the vast majority of history. I'm thinking of getting chickens! Enjoy the conveniences of modern life, but avoid dependency on them. Interesting times lie ahead for us.

[/quote]

Brilliant!!
So hard though, since we've lived with the idea that this kind of work is for machines. I don't know anything about anything lol

[quote="Luvz2travel, post:18, topic:251479"]
I don't worry in general over things I can't control except my own finances or problems. In some cases we just have to ride things out. I think the main problem is all the good jobs have been shipped over seas and only low paying service jobs seem to be left. How they expect people to make a decent living and still have funds to buy things is beyond my understanding. :eek::mad:

[/quote]

You are right about not worrying when there is nothing you can do. But one must think about why jobs are going overseas. They have gone there because the business climate in this country is down the tubes. Same reason people move from high tax states to lower taxed ones.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.