Are younger evangelicals becoming more liberal (politically speaking) and less politically involved?

It seems as if a number of my college friends who were members of CRU or similar organizations seem very apolitical, or are liberal. Now by liberal, i don’t mean that they are liberal in their personal lives, but a friend of mine has told when I said that I am against abortion and gay marriage, and asked him why he doesn’t vote against them, he told me about how while the church (IDK what he means by church, since Christians go to a number of different churches) should oppose such things, the government has no right to. He said that doing so would bring back Christendom, when the church was the government, and that this was a bad thing because Christians should not concern themselves with earthly law and that while churches should stand against certain things, the government shouldn’t discriminate.

Is this view common amongst the younger evangelical set? Also, I’ve noticed a lot are apolitical. Sure you get those who are very active politically, but most seemed more concerned about God (not a bad thing) and being saved, but don’t really think it’s governments place to do it. Which is strange because I thought most evangelicals weren’t big fans of separation of church and state

Years ago, when I was an evangelical I heard a Catholic teacher on television make the statement that Protestantism, by it’s very nature, leads to theological and social liberalism. At the time I thought the statement offensive, but now on this side of the Tiber I can see his point.
Not to insult Protestants. But I believe, that, for many, thier concept of ‘scripture alone’, without a proper authority to analyze it, leads to confusion. Without anything to anchor to, they drift.
This can be seen very clearly by just observing the path various denominations have taken from thier roots. Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist, Episcopal, Lutheran. Many mainline denominations have abandoned thier roots and have gone liberal. There are sub-groups that have hung on to thier roots, which must be commended. But those sub-groups become smaller and smaller as the decades roll on.
So, yes, younger evangelicals are becoming more liberal, and it’s unfortunately no surprise.

“If you are young and not liberal, then you have no heart; but if you are old and not conservative, then you have no brain.”

Disraeli or Churchill. Or Bertrand Russell or Shaw. :rolleyes:

Well, it depends on where ones morals stand when it comes to abortions. I find that most Evangelicals are very conservative when it comes to abortion and are just as likely as Catholics to stand against it. I really don’t think abortion is a dividing issue in most of Christianity as we all believe that life is sacred.

As far as gay marriage goes, we believe it’s not right in God’s eyes but we also can’t stop it from happening apart from speaking out against it. Freedom is important in all Christian countries even if it goes against our Theological beliefs and if a gay couple wants to get married we can do just as much to stop them as we can do to stop someone from having premarital sex. It’s wrong, but it’s a free country.

Yeah, I’m gonna call shenanigans on your statement. Even with your so-called “proper authority” to interpret things, you know that there are many liberal Catholics. Liberalism is an unfortunate sign of our times.

But those liberal Catholics have no power to start thier own version of the Catholic Church.
On the opposite side, Trad Catholics have started their own chapels, but without Church authority. Once you leave the authority that God has placed, the only direction to go is the authority of myself. I’m sure you have seen the same thing in Lutheran parishes.
And when I’m left to my own devices…
You get the picture.

Liberal Catholics; that is, those who oppose our doctrine, aren’t in power in the church. That’s a good thing. Liberal Catholics are a plague against the Church.

Word is that Francis is a liberal. It remains to be seen. I have noticed many trad RCCs on this board bemoan “Poor Catechesis”. Instead of bemoaning such, why not take an active role and turn the boat around, before the liberals do take over.

RCC= Roman Catholic Christians.

I don’t think the view you’re describing is liberal but libertarian. Cf. former GOP presidential candidate Ron Paul, who is a theologically conservative Baptist, but a champion of libertarianism politically.

I was a conservative evangelical until 1 1/2 years ago when I moved to the liturgical mainline (Episcopalian and Lutheran), but I have always (all my adult life anyway) held libertarian political views.

His Holiness can be as liberal as he wants, he has no authority to change doctrines anyway.

Your point about chatechesis is spot on from my short experience.

I think it has much to do with the 40 year long alliance that the Christian Right had with the Republican Party. This was a match made in hell. When one goes down the other goes down with it. That’s why I think many young Christians are totally disillusioned with politics. Since the part that’s supposed to be pro family values, and pro life etc, actually turns out not to be very much better than the alternative, and in some instances much much worse.

And to be honest, it’s not like Catholics have much bragging rights on this issue. Almost all the liberals I know are Catholic. The Senate and House are filled with pro baby murder self styled Catholics.

I’d echo Izdaari’s comment that what you are describing is not political liberalism but libertarianism (which is quite popular among many college age Americans right now).

What’s going on is this:

Reaction to the Christian Right.

Young evangelicals are tired of having their religious beliefs subverted by politics. Their tired of their churches spending so much energy on agitating for the political enforcement of morality.

Judgment begins in the house of God. Both the American church and American society is under judgment. The remedy will not be found in legislating morality. It will be found only when the American church follows 2 Chronicles 7:14,

if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Why should the church be concerned that a secular society will act immorally? We should expect that. Christians need to worry about getting their own act together.

He means the Church, which includes all those who have been born again regardless of denomination or local congregation. There is only one.

You beat men to it!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.