Are younger priest really more orthodox???

I always hear talk on the internet about how our younger priest and nuns are alot more orthodox and faithful to the Church then the priest and nuns who came of age around Vatican II. This is music to my ears if it's true, but I have no way of knowing for sure because I've never met a younger nun and all the priest in my diocese that I know personally are in their 60's and 70's.

I was wondering if anyone would want to share their personal experiences (good or bad) in regards to younger priest and nuns.
If you are a seminarian or younger priest and happen to be reading this post, please feel free to share your thoughts!

This is a really tiny sample size, but the newest and youngest priest in our diocese (ordained last June) is very traditional and orthodox and faithful. Not only does he celebrate the OF reverently and traditionally (genuflections, chant, incense, Roman Canon, etc.), but he also fills in to celebrate the EF for the FSSP community. He also wears a biretta. Even the FSSP priest rarely does that.

I remember meeting my first young and more traditional priest… the only problem was that he was so young he talked like my anarchist cousin–the combination was kind of crazy :slight_smile:

However, I would say that the younger priests I have met tend to be more traditional than the older priests, and I think it might be because they cleaned up the seminaries a few years ago.

The two priests at my parish are middle age - 40 to 50 so in between. Both are very consevative, traditional and by the book priests. Interestingly, in the past couple years there has been one young man enter a religious order, another the seminary and a senior high school student who will begin seminary in the fall.

Younger priests generally seem very reverent, and they seem very orthodox when it comes to certain areas (moral theology is a common one for young priests to be strong in, as far as I’ve seen). Sometimes I think they’re a bit lacking in their knowledge of liturgy and of traditional Catholic spirituality though. Many seem to think the writings of Pope John Paul II, the documents of Vatican II, and the writings of a handful of other contemporary theologians and spiritual writers are all that is worth looking at. I think that’s a problem, because the Church didn’t just start at Vatican II.

I would say in general yes. The half dozen plus young priests i know personally are all orthodox and reverent, but they also are young and exciting! Orthodoxy never grows old or tiresome in my opinion. (Big time G K Chesterton fan)

As an applicant for the minor seminary, I would tend to agree with you. The young priests, seminarians and religious seem to be, in many cases, more orthodox than those who were ordained, consecrated or educated in the wake of Vatican II.

An interesting perspective on post-Vatican II liberality was introduced to me by my spiritual director. Many see Vatican II as the direct CAUSE of a liberal takeover within the Church. The main and simple reason for this temporary liberal swing is that many of the most orthodox priests, religious and clergy were the ones who thought Vatican II went too far too quickly, and left their vocations. So, who was left in charge?

I believe that this was the big issue, that many of the clergy and religious who accepted (and remained after) Vatican II were on the liberal side of the Church, and were left in charge of our parishes, seminaries, universities, etc.

I think in the recent years, many Catholics have really looked at the times and documents of Vatican II, and realized that many of these changes in the Church, particularly in the 60s and 70s, simply do not coincide with what really happened at the council. Many, both young and old, have come to embrace the true spirit of Vatican II, which I believe was mostly a reaffirmation of Church teaching and tradition in the face of a radically changing society.

I think (thank God) that more people, especially young, devout people, are realizing that changes such as mass in the vernacular and greater lay involvement in parish ministry and evangelization are wonderful changes. Clergy who doubt the Incarnation and Resurrection are unacceptable changes. There is a huge difference between needed reform and arbitrary rejection of doctrine. I think many people saw Vatican II as an excuse to throw out the baby with the bathwater, and recently many have come to a better understanding of how to apply these changes to the Church without losing what Christ’s Church is and will always be.

That being said, let me just add that the 2 most orthodox and holy priests I know are age 65 and 80. I also have a friend in Eastern Europe who is appalled with the condition of the Greek Catholic seminarians over in Romania. So, just keep in mind that there are MANY wonderful priests and religious from the Vatican II era, as well as many young men and women who are still not being properly formed. Keep praying for the conversion of the world!

Yes, we are seeing more orthodox and holy men and women responding to God’s call. Please, continue to pray for us! The trial of a liberal, post- Vatican II Church seems to be passing, but the trials are endless! May the protection of the Blessed Mother and all the angels and saints protect and guide the One, Holy Church through the challenges of an ever-changing and hostile secular world!

In Christ and Our Blessed Mother,
Frank

I’m discerning the priesthood at the moment and I went to a Come and See retreat at a seminary and the amount of reverance and love of God these seminarians have was inspiring. I loved it so much at the seminary hanging out with them that I didn’t want to leave. I believe that not younger priests but priests that are coming right out of seminary in the past 10 years have been more orthodox then in the past.

God bless

In my experience, this isn’t true for all seminarians, especially in religious orders. However, on the whole, I’d say this seems to be the trend.

yes it is getting more orthodox. Its about time because im tired of hearing priest say that condoms are ok or that abortion is justified for the right reasons.

I am extreamly orthodox (watch out liberals and heretics) and i hope to help my Church one day.

I have a question that may have something to do with this as well. Do the upcoming changes to the way Mass will be conducted(bringing the Mass more in line with the Mass in latin…consubstantiate in the creed and removal of Christ has died…) bridge the gap between Orthodox and the more modern church? Is it a middle of the road compromise to bring traditionalist Catholics back to the fold? Not sure if I am asking the right questions. I only came into the Catholic Church in 2009.

I’m asking this because I was a Muslim at one tme and one thing that was talked about was Umma or community, though there were many factions within Islam.

Welcome home brother!!!

Hi,
I'm a seminarian and I would say priests in general are getting much more orthodox as well. My rector is very young, and he's extremely traditional. We're trying to bring the cassock back :D

[quote="cu016584, post:13, topic:191506"]
Hi,
I'm a seminarian and I would say priests in general are getting much more orthodox as well. My rector is very young, and he's extremely traditional. We're trying to bring the cassock back :D

[/quote]

Haha yeah man, If God will give me the grace to become a priest, I will wear that cassock and the black zucchetto proudly.:D

We have three priests at our church and the youngest is the more traditonal one. He is about 26.

There are 3 priests assigned to my parish, 1 in residence, and one visiting from India. Age range from mid-30s to 60+. They are all reverent, orthodox priests. They all preach on sin--including sexual sin--in their homilies. They all spend time in our adoration chapel, venerate Mary, all those things.

The youngest priest is a better liturgist and more likely to use incense, chant, etc. The priest in his 50s doesn't always wear clericals and doesn't like to train the altar boys to do anything but the bare minimum. The oldest priest has a strong devotion to Mary, but also thinks it's great to clap after the children's choir sings. Those differences are so minor though. They are all holy men who love the Lord and his church.

Overall, my experience is that younger priests are more likely to do outward things (clothes and the like). I don't think at all that they are showing off, but I do think the newness of their priesthood is part of it. We all tend to be more fired up and zealous at the beginning of something than we are as time goes by. Older priests can still be just as orthodox and devout without wearing a biretta or wanting to use incense at every opportunity.

I see you made it! Congradulations. I remember your thread you started when you were discerning. Good luck!

Pax†

I pray that your discerment goes much better than mine!! I totally agree with you. I think that younger or should I say newly ordained priests whether called at high school or a delayed vocation, Yes I beleive that the seminaries are much more traditional and the church has weeded out the liberal bishops and teachers in the seminaries. I also think the Holy Ghost is cleaning house.

I think it is a beautiful blessing to have had John Paul the Great as our Pope when we were young and now following him, Benedict. And I agree that the Holy Spirit is cleaning house in a very beautiful way, but a reminder to some of you who posted earlier that the important parts of our faith are not necessarily the details (wearing or not wearing a cassock or biretta). The important things are being concerned with God’s will in our lives, the Holy Eucharist, our intercessors (the Saints), etc. The attire and the traditions are good, but without the Traditions all we do is create more contempt by those who are put off the details. I understand we are not here to please people, and totally agree that we never will please everyone (especially as Catholics in line with Rome), but let us remember that our differences with our progressive brothers and sisters are doctrinal, theological, catechetical, and moral. The differences we have with them are not and should not be based on minute details, but rather with their immersion in liberation theology, their own will, and a humanist version of Christianity.
For all of you, may God bless you and continue to lead you down the path He hopes for you.
B

Maybe . . . but we have faithful priests of all ages in my area. (perhaps there are less faithful priests of all ages as well, but we're lucky to have so many good ones!!)

A few weeks ago, an older (70's?), visiting priest spoke forcefully about things immoral - he included abortion, in vitro, contraception . . . he was awesome. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.