Area Lutherans Stand Behind Catholics Against Contraception Mandate

fortwaynehomepage.net/fulltext/?nxd_id=59732

About 250 people gathered downtown Fort Wayne today. They were members of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. They rallied around Bishop Kevin Rhoades in opposition to a department of health and human services mandate that they say violates their teachings.

The Lutheran Church-Missouri synod says they view this particular mandate as an assault on religious freedom. The mandate is requiring religious institutions to cover certain contraceptive services that they say are against their beliefs.

About 250 Lutheran Church members and leaders departed from St. Paul's Lutheran Church to march over to the Roman Catholic cathedral in downtown Fort Wayne.

They say they are marching to show solidarity with Catholics. St. Paul's pastor says all persons of faith should be concerned.

"We wanted to show that even though we're not Roman Catholic, as fellow Christians and American citizens concerned about any kind of erosion of our religious liberty."

St. Paul's encouraged area congregations to write letters of support to the catholic bishop, Kevin Rhoades. Some letters came from congregations as far away as Iowa. Rhoades was presented with the letters at today's event. "When each of the pastors and representatives came up with the letters of support I was really overwhelmed," he says.

Lutherans and Catholics have their differences when it comes to contraception. Catholic doctrine says contraceptives are unacceptable. The Lutheran Church-Missouri synod teaches that human life begins at conception but they're not necessarily against birth control. Both groups are anti-abortion. Both groups agree that they're against the morning-after pill.

"This act of coercion by the department of health and human services is an actual violation of our religious freedom and very dangerous for the future of our society."

Bishop Rhoades says he wants people of all faiths to follow the lead of the Lutheran Church and join the fight against this mandate.

[quote="IggyAntiochus, post:1, topic:281237"]

[/quote]

Martin would be proud.

from Martin Luther's Lectures on Genesis, on Genesis 38:

Onan must have been a malicious and incorrigible scoundrel. This is a most disgraceful sin. It is far more atrocious than incest and adultery. We call it unchastity, yes, a Sodomitic sin. For Onan goes in to her; that is, he lies with her and copulates, and when it comes to the point of insemination, spills the semen, lest the woman conceive. Surely at such a time the order of nature established by God in procreation should be followed. Accordingly, it was a most disgraceful crime to produce semen and excite the woman, and to frustrate her at that very moment.... He preferred polluting himself with a most disgraceful sin to raising up offspring for his brother.

Awesome sauce.

I would not be suprised to hear more from the synod concerning birth control as we go forward. While browsing some links on the LCMS site I came across an opinion piece that linked birth control to declining church membership. The writer seemed bemused that so few trusted God to determine their family size. As demonstrated with American Catholics, even when the Church denounces artificial birth control, people do what the local culture allows and encourages.

Eventually it shows up as empty pews.

lest the woman conceive. Surely at such a time the order of nature established by God in procreation should be followed. http://www.interbankforex.info/g.gif

I am Methodist.I agree with the Catholic Church’s view on abortion; i disagree with its view on contraception. However, I support 100% the Catholic Church’s right to practice its belief on contraception and disagree 100% with the federal government’s assault on religious freedom

The federal government (and almost all “leading” societal institutions) hate Christians (all Christians and not just Catholics) and wants to destroy religious freedom, despite the First Amendment.

A poor quote from memory: “Do not be surprised if the world hates you; it hated me first.”

[quote="billt9, post:6, topic:281237"]
I am Methodist.I agree with the Catholic Church's view on abortion; i disagree with its view on contraception. However, I support 100% the Catholic Church's right to practice its belief on contraception and disagree 100% with the federal government's assault on religious freedom

The federal government (and almost all "leading" societal institutions) hate Christians (all Christians and not just Catholics) and wants to destroy religious freedom, despite the First Amendment.

A poor quote from memory: "Do not be surprised if the world hates you; it hated me first."

[/quote]

Greetings my brother in Christ? If it is not to much to ask,where do you disagree with the CC view on contraception?

Peace

[quote="IggyAntiochus, post:1, topic:281237"]

[/quote]

:thumbsup: It is a start...it is a start to unite as ONE over those who have no faith or God in their lives.

Its nice to know that our fellow christian protestants stand along side us Catholics in the frontlines of the secular attacks.

[quote="1van28146, post:9, topic:281237"]
Its nice to know that our fellow christian protestants stand along side us Catholics in the frontlines of the secular attacks.

[/quote]

Amen to that brother!

[quote="Nicea325, post:7, topic:281237"]
Greetings my brother in Christ? If it is not to much to ask,where do you disagree with the CC view on contraception?

Peace

[/quote]

There are certain situations where contraception could be called for, but other than those...hmm, yes, I'm inclined to agree that it is intrinsically evil. Though I understand the reasons for not dogmatically forbidding it.

[quote="IggyAntiochus, post:11, topic:281237"]
There are certain situations where contraception could be called for, but other than those...hmm, yes, I'm inclined to agree that it is intrinsically evil. Though I understand the reasons for not dogmatically forbidding it.

[/quote]

If I am correct, I do believe Benedict XVI has allowed it for those who have HIV & AIDS and other severe illnesses. I could be wrong, so you may want to double check my comment.

Thanks for the article…Iggy…but did you march too? Anyway, just ribbing you…:smiley:

pittsburghlive.com/x/dailynewsmckeesport/s_791661.html

Also scheduled to attend are representatives of the Anglican, Episcopal, Evangelical Lutheran, American Carpatho-Russian and Ukrainian Orthodox churches, the Orthodox Church in America and Christian Associates of Southwest Pennsylvania.

Read more: International guests slated for Byzantine archbishop’s installation - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review pittsburghlive.com/x/dailynewsmckeesport/s_791661.html#ixzz1sVUf7xQf

We got your backs. :thumbsup:

Jon

[quote="pablope, post:13, topic:281237"]
Thanks for the article...Iggy...but did you march too? Anyway, just ribbing you....:D

[/quote]

I would have, if I was anywhere remotely near Ft. Wayne!

[quote="JonNC, post:14, topic:281237"]
We got your backs. :thumbsup:

Jon

[/quote]

Solid, yo'. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.