Aren't ALL attempts to find out what God's ultimate plan for time is, wrong by nature?

The issue of time in heaven. Some say it’s linear, some say it can’t be linear (that would be boring, instead it either doesn’t exist or all eternity exists at once…)

If God is omnipotent, none of this is an issue. HE has the answer and it is probably far better/ideal than any idea of time we can envisage.

Surely? But then, how come nobody really seems to think like that but instead favour descriptions?

Either God is omnipotent (and, hence, able to give us not only more than we desire but limitless amounts more…) or not. Why do we attempt to describe (with limited ideas of joy or goodness) time in a something that must be literally endlessly beyond our working out (if you accept His omnipotence)?

Because it is in the nature of our human minds to seek to know?

Because the nature of heavenly “time” is intrinsic to how and “when” our aliveness will be restored, after we have suffered the hideous trauma that is human death?

ICXC NIKA.

If you read the Jewish wisdom books of the Old Testament, you will see where studying wisdom and scripture and seeking ever-greater knowledge of God is a thing to be praised. One must have balance in life, of course, working and attending to duties and responsibilities and helping the poor, but the Sabbath itself is a testament to God’s desire for us to study His nature and try to learn more and more about Him over time.

Christian history is certainly linear, and so is Christian knowledge and theology. What we understand this century is more than what we understood before. Indeed, what do you suppose it is that people will be doing in heaven?

My own speculation on the matter is that we will simply be in a state of bliss because we will be forever learning new things about God (and also worshipping and sharing this knowledge with others–in a word, “communing” with each other). Learning implies spiritual growth, and I would argue that it also implies fun or enjoyment. Because God is infinite, we will never finish learning and get to “the end of the book of knowledge about God”, but I do believe we will keep progressing in a linear fashion. I could be wrong of course, but that’s my current view.

Thus, in no way do I think it’s wrong to make attempts to work out greater knowledge of God’s future plans for the human race. What is wrong is making presumptions that you already know more than what you really do.

That is true, we are by nature, a very curious species, however besides trying to find out about ‘time’ in the afterlife, which I do not believe exists in any form, only thing I do know, is it will be MUCH MUCH different than how we live our lives here on earth, there will literally be NO time in the afterlife, I dont think we can even comprehend what an existence in a place like this would be like.

Back to our curious nature, you are right, God created us this way, BUT at what point does this cross the line? Im referring to someone simply pondering about this or similar topic, but what if that someone is a very intelligent scientist and somehow comes up with a way to ‘open a door’ into the afterlife, allowing living people to take a peek and see what its like? Would this be wrong?

Another issue, scientists today are working on the theory of multiple dimensions, eventually, they will probably come up with a method to either travel to one, or ‘open a doorway’, what if one of these alternate dimensions turn out to be heaven/ hell, or even purgatory? Since God cannot interfere with mans free will, there is nothing he could do in this case (imo). I actually think something like this will happen in our lifetimes. Ive read some pretty indepth articles regarding sciences research into these other dimensions,(seems like they really know alot about this) but they have no idea what actual dimension they are dealing with, for all they know, it could be heaven or hell!!

Somehow I dont think God would like this.

Thomas, what you are describing is a symptom.

The contemporary Catholic Christian seems determined to understand and describe God rather than unite himself to the mystery of God. It’s primary expression is dogmatism and it has led many to confuse piety with holiness. The early Christians didn’t do this. They spent a lifetime trying to live the mystery rather than understand it.

All attempts to describe the indescribable can only lead to frustration, until one accepts the mystery for what it is, something beyond human comprehension, and enters into it. Only then does one begin to understand. Only then can God take over.

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.