Arguements for Catholic Faith and Education

I apoligize for the length of this message but needed to give a detailed background on the battle I am joined in.

My brother-in-law (non-Catholic but Christian) is married to my sister (Catholic). I have a running discussion with him and need some verifiable facts to help him understand the faith.

He argues that he will not let his wife allow my nephew to experience the richness of Catholic life or education because of all the bad press that has been circulated regarding priest sex scandels in the past. I explain that the Church and the current and previous Holy Father excommunicated priests that had been proved to commit these grievous acts against our innocent childern. I also explained that the Church (recently) has a policy of being open about these issues. Can someone please provide me information that I can share with him to address his fears about this horrible statistic? The arguement that this is not limited to our Church doesn’t convince him either. Maybe the cause I am fighting is one that he will never concede but I do not want to give up.

Your Brother Soldier of Peace in Christ and Mary,
Lee

He likely is ignorant of the fact that sexual abuse by priests is no more common than in any other area. In fact it is lower than the incidence of sexual abuse in education settings.

His ignorance is completely understandable given the inordinate amount of attention paid by the media to abuse by priests. Personally, I suspect this inordinate attention is at least in part due to an unspoken set of higher expectations for the Catholic Church. Makes one wonder if people don’t somehow know the Catholic Church is the true church, so unconsciously expect more from it.

Anyway, here’s an article from LifesiteNews that puts the issue in more realistic context than ABCNNBCBS does.

**Clergy Abuse in Context - Teachers Sexually Abuse Students Far More Often
**lifesitenews.com/ldn/2004/feb/04020602.html

The Catholic League report underscores the reality that the incidence of sexual abuse by clergy is, in comparison, far less than the incidence among other professionals. A survey by the Washington Post found that “Over the last four decades, less than 1.5 percent of the estimated 60,000 or more men who have served in the Catholic clergy have been accused of child sexual abuse.” And a similar survey by the New York Times found an incidence rate of “1.8 percent of all priests ordained from 1950 to 2001.”

The incidence of abuse by teachers is even more staggering, as a 1988 study reported in The Handbook on Sexual Abuse of Children reveals. It reported that “One in four girls, and one in six boys, is sexually abused [by a teacher] by age 18.” A 1991 study revealed that “17.7 percent of males who graduated from high school, and 82.2 percent of females, reported sexual harassment by faculty or staff during their years in school. Fully 13.5 percent said they had sexual intercourse with their teacher,” the report states.

[SNIP]

The Full report can be seen at catholicleague.org/research/abuse_in_social_context.htm

Also, you might give him a copy of the report **“Clergy Sexual Abuse: Facts, Myths and Questions” **from the-tidings.com/2007/abuse/abuse15.pdf

He could be using this issue as an excuse for other objections.

You could offer him John Martignoni’s explanation of the Catholic teachings on Original Sin & Infant Baptism, which is freely available from www.biblechristiansociety.com.

Were they married in the Catholic Church or his church?

IIRC, for a Catholic/non-Catholic marriage to be approved, both parties need to agree to raise any children they are blessed with in the Catholic Church.

God bless,

Chris

Thank you very much for your answer. This helps. I pray every day that my sis gains strength of faith and that I am an example of the true, original faith founded by our saviour Jesus Christ!

I believe it was St. Francis who said preach the gospel ALWAYS, use words only when necessary.

Your Brother Soldier of Peace in Christ and Mary,
Lee

Per capita, public school teachers commit sex crimes against children more often than priests do. So by your brother-in-law’s own reasoning, he can’t send your nephew to public school either. Does he plan to home school?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.