This is an issue that has troubled me greatly at times in years past and has recently re-surfaced within the past few days: Whether or not we will enjoy all of the things that were good in this life (including marriage) in heaven/the new earth as well. I have personally found the possibility of there being no marital relationships, beautiful architecture, music, art, etc. to be very distressing and unfathomable. And having read a number of threads here I know there are many others who feel the same way.
In light of all of this I have come across (and re-examined) some rather interesting points that could argue in favor of all of these earthly (and good or morally neutral) things being renewed in heaven/the new earth (whichever comes first I suppose!)
I realize that this is a subject that has been discussed over and over again, however I thought that by sharing my own specific personal insights here perhaps others who have not found the precise answer they’ve been looking for will take comfort in the fact that someone else feels exactly the same way and is also seeking an answer too. If my consistent bolding and all capital letters comes across as intimidating I apologize in advance; I use it consistently only to help re-enforce the points being made:
1) Marriage/male + female companionship existed BEFORE the Fall. Furthermore it continued AFTER the fall.
As they say, “It’s in the Bible”
2) Marriage/male + female companionship was created by God who said it was GOOD.
Speaks for itself, wouldn’t you say
3) It was God who said that it is NOT GOOD for man to be alone. This was also before the Fall.
He even asked adam which of the animals would make a suitable partner. Adam said none of them were and God responded to his DESIRE for companionship. Even in the SINLESS and PERFECT nature of the Garden Of Eden.
**4) It was God who said that whatever was considered GOOD will be renewed in the new world. **
Refer to the prior 3 points.
5) When Jesus said “They will neither marry nor given in marriage” he was -and at times still is- misunderstood.
This is perhaps the point that needs most clarification. Many have obviously interpreted this as there being no marital relationship in heaven. But what many seem to overlook is that there were a number of ways one could be “married or given in marriage” e.g. a father giving away his daughter, a transaction (sale, trade, etc.), arranged marriage. None of these involving God and his own view on who he felt was truly meant to be matched. Not that they were all bad marriages, etc. just the likelihood that there was perhaps not even any consent among the two parties being matched by “traditional means”.
6) Adam and Eve were not “married” in the traditional way someone is “married or given in marriage”. God personally matched them together (or created Eve from the ground, etc. however one puts it :p) and -again- said it was GOOD.
7) In heaven all of our needs will be fulfilled by God. But that doesn’t necessarily mean we won’t have DESIRES or WANTS and that we won’t desire or want them with absolute joy.
Why else would the new earth be a physical place with resurrected, glorified, immaculate (and eternally youthful and attractive :p) physical bodies. Youthful appearance is something we all want and desire so much on this earth that we seem to be willing to do whatever we can to prolong it as much as we can. So who’s to say other desires we hold so dearly won’t be realized like food, music, and yes even man + woman companionship; even for those were spent their whole earthly lives single?
8) God desires for us to be happy in his kingdom for all eternity. Why shouldn’t we have reason to believe that he might very well bless us with all the gifts, talents, hobbies, relationships (marital included) etc. that we enjoyed so much on this earth (morally responsibly, of course) in the new earth?
9) In heaven and the new earth there will be NO CONFLICT amongst our relationships with others (even amongst multiple ex-spouses). So why shouldn’t we believe that God will renew marital relationships in a world where there will be absolutely ZERO risk for them conflicting/interfering with relationships with parents, children, friends, family, and God. Everything will be perfect. Even our favorite hobbies, etc. (should they indeed exist there) couldn’t possibly conflict with each other or anything/anyone else.
**10) Shouldn’t we have reason to believe that God -who created marriage in the beginning, said it was GOOD, and did not abolish it after the Fall- will not nullify it in heaven and the new earth, but rather transform/renew it? Even as a basic man and woman companionship? ** Again, who’s to say that God would only want something so sacred and loving to only exist on earth and not in his heavenly kingdom?
11) Last, but not least God knows our deepest desires. He knew us before we were born and knows more than what we ourselves think we know what we desire.
Why shouldn’t we think that God has taken those factors into account in planning and preparation for the new world and that a renewed type of marital relationship where man and woman live together as one in perfect harmony with everyone and everything else?
I hope anyone feeling troubled by what they have believed heaven and eternity will take comfort these points made. Until our time has come when (hopefully, of course) God calls us to eternal life with him we will of course know not even a tiny fraction of what heaven will truly be like. But if we are called to trust in God that he has prepared/is preparing something very special for us in the next life let us not presume that he won’t take into account all that is GOOD in his grand design