Arguments to defend endless population growth

I’ve posted a thread about this around 2 years ago and I’d like to make another one to see if any fresh ideas come forth.

Should we even be defending the idea of continued population growth from generation to generation to generation? If so, what are the arguments that this isn’t hazardous to the world?

I don’t know much about this stuff. So don’t go after me with a knife and fork. All I’ve heard that might be used as an argument is that without increased population the economy sort of collapses. We’ve built our society on something of a pyramid so without an ever-increasing base we’ve got trouble.

I think the best solution is to send everyone into space. Lots of room there. :wink:

Peace.

-Trident

This is the only solution I can come up with in the long-term (as in, 500 or 1000 years from now), which I suppose isn’t such a far-out one.

Hi TK421.

Population Research Institute specializes in this (among others) issue (here).

See this.

Several free videos posted here and here.

God bless.

Cathoholic

FWIW, the Catholic Church has no position on continued population growth. Nothing in Catholic doctrine or discipline supports such an idea. In fact, the Catholic Church imposes a form of birth control on Catholics called Natural Family Planning (NFP). In addition to being the safest form of birth control, it is ALSO (by far) the most effective. And that’s not a claim that the Church makes, but a claim (supported by multiple scientific studies) from the World Health Organization and the US Center for Disease Control (CDC).

So, by imposing NFP upon the Faithful, the Catholic Church could be implicitly accused of suppressing population growth. The Church imposes the most effective means of avoiding conception known to modern science, short of surgical sterilization. The Church does not allow less effective artificial measures, such as birth control pills, condoms, or IUDs. So, yaaa for the Church!!!

But, for the sake of discussion, what are the arguments that population growth IS hazardous? Has God failed to provide the earth’s current population with enough food, water, and oxygen to survive? Are these finite resources, or have we continually found new ways to harvest them as the need arises?

Yes, there are places where survival is difficult. But that’s not God’s fault. God has provided an abundant earth. The Syrian refugees (to use a current event) are fleeing their own countrymen, their fellow Muslims, who have rendered their homes uninhabitable.

I grew up during the Carter-era “energy crisis.” Oil is a finite resource. Vehicles were queued up for blocks to get gasoline, and gas stations routinely ran dry. Today, gasoline is cheap. Natural gas is cheap. We discovered fracking technology, and oil is so abundant that many oil wells have closed because it is not cost effective to run them. And society is on the verge of oil independence. Petro-oil will someday (soon) become as uncommon as whale oil.

ECUADOR (could you find it on a map? without latitude lines?) has traditionally subsidized oil (mostly from Venezuela). They have announced a plan to cease subsidies by 2017 and become an electric society. Electric cars. Electric stoves and water heaters (bottled gas is common today in Ecuador). This is a developing economy that intends to stop importing oil in the foreseeable future.

For the sake of argument, I’ll side with Gene Roddenberry’s vision of the future (Star Trek). It’s all linked to energy and warp technology. Since we’re not anywhere near warp technology, we’ll have to focus on energy. No energy means less food production, food transportation, food storage (no refrigeration), and less available water (no pumping, power to run filtration, less chemicals to disinfect the water, etc.) We can already see what happens when the weather wipes out one region of the food produced there or when there’s a drought in an isolated region. This is all linked to energy or the lack of energy. :eek:

The cost of space transportation makes that a non-starter.

Also, there is nowhere we can get to where our earthly bodies can live, so the cost of artificial worlds in space will be even higher.

ICXC NIKA

The Catholic Church absolutely does not “impose” or require any Catholic to use natural family planning. NFP is simply knowledge about fertility that the couple is allowed to use to plan their families for serious reasons. The Church also loves and welcomes those parents who, taking into prayerful account of their situation and circumstances, decided to generously and freely open themselves to as many children as God sends.

Call me silly, but I don’t think we are likely to run out of room any time soon. There is a lot more open space than folks realize not to mention miles and miles of ocean that we don’t use. Also, we are really good at killing each other with the whole war thing, and various plagues or flus are always coming around. It’s not something I worry about.

“The answer to anyone who talks about the surplus population is to ask him whether he is the surplus population; or if he is not, how he knows he is not.”

• G.K. Chesterton

That quote doesn’t answer the question, but its logic is so irresistible that I had to share it :slight_smile:

Are you aware that there is NO population growth in the US, Canada, Europe? Quite the opposite, their populations would be collapsing if not for mass immigration.

Also many parts of Asia…

Right. The Catholic Church also does not list “overpopulation of world” as a reason to even practive NFP.

“God knows what He’s doing …”

Others may want His job but lack the qualifications

You will not hear from God:

[size=] "Did you abort

all those excess people I’ve been creating? I sure hope so. I was counting on you to do it because … uh … the PLANET would be better for it!"

OTOH … to “the goats” at the Pearly Gates:

:tsktsk: "Sorry. We’re overcrowded here in THIS universe. We ***have ***

room, but you don’t qualify. You spent so much of your time on earth keeping people from being born - that it would be an intolerable injustice to let you be “born AGAIN” !

(Sigh) :shrug: You’ll just have to spend your eternity elsewhere.

Watch out for the demons … and the other selfish, arrogant, inclined-toward-destruction folks out there … :sad_bye: .[/size]

I think that’s maybe because they’re not really trying. Not yet anyway. I mean if it was a real thing they could probably figure out a better way to shoot people off the planet. Maybe a giant slingshot or something.

-Trident

Doesn’t change the fact that an earthly body can live only on Earth.

Even going to Heaven will require a change of body.

ICXC NIKA!

I wouldn’t defend “endless population growth” as I don’t believe in it. We’ve grown up in a era of antibiotics and modern medicine, so we take it for granted that most people born will survive childhood and live long lives. I believe that is foolish.

History shows us germs sometimes wipe out huge percentages of a population. It has happened in the past, and it can happen again in the future. We trust our modern medicines to protect us from germs, but the effectiveness of many antibiotics is diminishing as germs develop resistance to them. Other modern inventions now mean that contagious illness can travel quickly. We’re not invincible to germs, and our resources to fight off illness have limitations.

Don’t take life and health for granted.

Largely as a result of:

A) Abortion, i.e. murder
B) Contraception
C) Extramarital relationships, which practice B, and if not B, then A.

I am not unhappy or ungrateful towards Church teaching. I think it is a recipe to true joy and protects against grave evil, but pointing to the regions with declining populations is simply pointing to areas where these particular evils are practiced. Population growth is still occurring in most of the world, and the world population is going up.

Oh that’s easy. We’ll just slingshot the oxygen bottles up there too. No big deal. And the space tents. Don’t forget the space tents!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.