Arguments to support Virgin birth

What are some good arguments to support the Virgin birth?

[quote=Riley259]What are some good arguments to support the Virgin birth?
[/quote]

None immediately spring to mind. It’s one of those faith things.

[/quote]

Luke 1:34
Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?

:slight_smile:

The Mass you attend on Sunday.

If you want scientific, you’re out of luck. The Virgin Birth was a miracle. Miracles are supernatural and therefore beyond the realm of science.

and on the … evidence side…

Mary was betroved to Joseph…
So, if she had understood the angel to mean she would
have a child by Joseph, then she wouldn’t have asked
how it could be… this is also evidence that she never
really expected to have sexual relations with Joseph…

and she knew what ‘normally’ led to child birth, because
she said, she ‘knew not a man’…

:slight_smile:

[/quote]

Virgin Birth, Immaculate Conception, or Perpetual Virginity?

Big words…

Do you mean something to support that she was always a virgin? Because scripture says that she was a virgin that was betrothed to Joseph when the angel Gabriel visited her.
Tamara

[quote=Kristina P.]None immediately spring to mind. It’s one of those faith things.
[/quote]

Do you mean the an argument to support that the Messiah will be born of a Virgin?

Genesis 3:15 the promise of Salvation that God made to Adam and Eve promised that the Woman who would bear the Word Incarnate would be without sin and Lk 1:34 says that Mary answered the Angel Gabriel with “How can this be as I do not know man?” indicating that she was a virgin when she conceived the Word Incarnate.

[quote=LSK]Do you mean the an argument to support that the Messiah will be born of a Virgin?

Genesis 3:15 the promise of Salvation that God made to Adam and Eve promised that the Woman who would bear the Word Incarnate would be without sin and Lk 1:34 says that Mary answered the Angel Gabriel with “How can this be as I do not know man?” indicating that she was a virgin when she conceived the Word Incarnate.
[/quote]

Since it’s pretty obvious in Scripture, I was assuming that the OP meant ‘scientific or historical evidence.’ Outside of Scripture and Catholic Tradition, which a non-Christian most likely wouldn’t accept as evidence, I really didn’t have anything to offer.

It happenned two thousand years ago…what evidence could you offer…a DNA data bank? Mary’s OB GYN records? :rotfl:

The arguments to support a Virgin birth are found in Holy Scripture, both Old and New Testament and Sacred Tradition. She has also appeared to people in modern times and not disabused them of this information, though she had ample opportunity to do so…she did not appear to St. Bernadette at Lourdes and say, “Oh, by the way, I had that one boyfriend before the Angel Gabriel found me…be sure and let the Pope know so that we can clear that little bit of doctrine up.”

No, the Virgin Birth is a fact. Our Lady has reaffirmed it when she has come to us to reassure us and to continually point the way to her Son, Our Lord, the Word Incarnate. We have the Holy Scripture, Sacred Tradition and the Holy Mother Church to assure us of this Truth.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.