Arizona governor to illegals: If your child is a U.S. citizen, take him back home with you

Video at link
hotair.com/archives/2010/06/11/arizona-governor-to-illegals-if-your-child-is-a-u-s-citizen-take-him-back-home-with-you/

Good for her, more power to Arizona!

She's making the only sensible position on the matter:

Illegals are ALL criminals, simply by virtue of unlawful entry into the US, which is a federal crime.

They are technically unfit parents by virtue of being criminals.

[quote="Aramis, post:3, topic:201675"]

Illegals are ALL criminals, simply by virtue of unlawful entry into the US, which is a federal crime.

[/quote]

And you seriously call yourself a Christian.

"Illegal" is a dehumanizing term. Please don't use the tactic of the pro-abortion lobby and use terms that define your target as oan object and not as a human.

Illegal Immigrant would be better.

The "unfit parents" comment was actually what made me angry. They are trying to come to the United States to make better lives for their children. Isn't Catholicism supposed to be all for saving the children? How does this poster know anything about the parenting methods of immigrants? His or her statement is one of the rudest, narrow-minded, and downright mean things that I have ever heard. If he or she is a parent, then I'll have to assume that he or she has never once made a mistake or perhaps I'll have to call child services to report some unfit parenting.

Isn't the idea of having border policies and immigration laws to ensure benefits for a nation's citizens? Now we are saying not all citizens are to be given this preference? Is this not, by definition, creating a group of second-class citizens? As a legal resident of Arizona and U.S. citizen, this almost makes me want to vote! :D

Does anyone know of other instances in the history of the U.S. where citizens were banished to another country, even after a criminal conviction?

Here's some of my favorite sayings that Jesus never says in the Gospels: "Love each other as I have loved you, as long as they are living in the country their parents were born in. Yeah, criminals are not worthy of My love or your respect, Peter."

Being a criminal is a judgement made by fallible, government law. All sorts of activities and even ideas can be criminalized. That doesn't automatically cause the doers of those activities and thinkers of those opinions unfit parents, or even necessarily sinners.

Would you support this kind of attitude in your immigrant-riddled home state of Alaska, Aramis? I bet the Russians sneaking across the Bearing Strait are stealing all your jobs.

[quote="Feanor2, post:5, topic:201675"]
"Illegal" is a dehumanizing term. Please don't use the tactic of the pro-abortion lobby and use terms that define your target as oan object and not as a human.

[/quote]

I get tired of typing illegal immigrant, so I often just say illegal.

[quote="Et_Cetera, post:6, topic:201675"]
The "unfit parents" comment was actually what made me angry. They are trying to come to the United States to make better lives for their children. Isn't Catholicism supposed to be all for saving the children? How does this poster know anything about the parenting methods of immigrants? His or her statement is one of the rudest, narrow-minded, and downright mean things that I have ever heard. If he or she is a parent, then I'll have to assume that he or she has never once made a mistake or perhaps I'll have to call child services to report some unfit parenting.

[/quote]

How do you know what they are trying to do? There are 100 million citizens in their home country, why is it fair just to let a few over? Don't many of them want a better life if it's so horrible in Mexico? I think a lot of Americans are being fooled, I've worked with a few Mexicans and not one of them planned on staying in the U.S. Why do we see so many of them waving Mexican flags if they are here to become Americans and make a better life for themselves, would you not hate the country you came from if it were so bad you had to trek across a desert to make things better for yourself?

[quote="seanflynn, post:8, topic:201675"]
Being a criminal is a judgement made by fallible, government law. All sorts of activities and even ideas can be criminalized. That doesn't automatically cause the doers of those activities and thinkers of those opinions unfit parents, or even necessarily sinners.

Would you support this kind of attitude in your immigrant-riddled home state of Alaska, Aramis? I bet the Russians sneaking across the Bearing Strait are stealing all your jobs.

[/quote]

I must ask, what the heck are you smoking? Your ignorance is showing.

The most common illegals in Alaska are Mexicans and Canadians, tho some are Samoans, and a number are Filipino. The Canadians illegals I've met are mostly drug dealers. The Mexicans run the gamut. Illegals are disproportionally likely as a group to engage in other crimes, and most have already committed a federal felony by crossing the border.

I've never met a Russian I have known to be here unlawfully; it'd be hard to tell if they were in certain towns, since there are towns that still use Russian as the native language... but to be honest, there aren't enough Russians in Siberia to matter, anyway, and the few attempting the crossing are likely to die in the attempt. (And no matter what Ms. Palin claims, you can't see Russia from Alaska except on one island in the middle of nowhere.)

All Felons are subject to loss of custody of their children upon apprehension; if convicted, it's automatic for the duration of sentence, even if not permanent.

Why should this one felony be any different?

[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. Illegal is and adjective, not a noun. It's use as a noun is a type of propaganda aimed at letting us think of these people as objects so we can take convenient positions. If typing out "illegal immigrants" or "illegal aliens" is too hard and time-consuming, then offer the extra work up to God as a sacrificial prayer that this issue may find a solution that is both compassionate **and **just.

[quote="Aramis, post:11, topic:201675"]

All Felons are subject to loss of custody of their children upon apprehension; if convicted, it's automatic for the duration of sentence, even if not permanent.

Why should this one felony be any different?

[/quote]

What felony? Is illegally entering the country a felony?

Custody laws vary from state to state. Here we have no loss of custody for all felons. Does your state? I did not know that trying to break up the family unit was what Christianity is all about.

[/quote]

Sorry, but there are some of us who are NOT into political correctness. I read that illegal alien is the correct term because "immigrant" denotes someone here legally.

When I use the term illegal, it is not meant to be dehumanizing, but rather states the reality of the situation.

[quote="Tigg, post:14, topic:201675"]

When I use the term illegal, it is not meant to be dehumanizing, but rather states the reality of the situation.

[/quote]

Then use reality. The word is* not*, in reality, a noun.
mw2.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/illegal

When slang is used as a label, it is dehumanizing, whether it is meant that way or not.

Sorry, but there are some of us who are NOT into political correctness.

I'm not into laziness and sloth. I can understand posting shortcuts, even when I do not like them or think they reflect an unchristian character. I do not understand news articles that take such liberties, nor do I believe that such titles are given for any reason other than emotionally loading an article. Surely we understand the media enough to recognize this ploy.

[quote="Aramis, post:3, topic:201675"]

[/quote]

Unfit parents....WOW - I'd say that's quite a reach. We cannot know their hearts or judge, and after all, this immigration fiasco is a political one caused entirely by our government's enticement of them here and their failure to secure the border.

I agree that her position is the correct one; the parents made the choice and must be responsible for the consequences of their actions. The argument that "it will tear the family apart" is a weak and disingenuous one, meant of course, to make us feel guilty for our stance.

I don't think any kind of universal case can be made for or against bad parenting because we are dealing with a wide range of people. Their abilities as parents have nothing to do with the fact that they break the law by entering another country illegally. No one seems to want to address the problem of why don't they simply do it legally?

I find it most amusing that many people who would turn a blind eye to people crossing the nation's border illegally would be the first to pitch a fit if someone cut in front of them in line in a ticket queue for a movie or a concert.

If a nation has laws in effect that say if you cross illegally you will be fined or jailed and sent back to your nation of origin regardless of the citizen status of your immediate family, then who is really the one "splitting up" the family here... the government enforcing their laws, or the people trying to ignore those laws and pretend they don't exist? The above law is Mexican law, btw. I don't hear anyone decrying the injustice of their laws, only the USA's, which are nowhere near as restrictive.

[quote="pnewton, post:15, topic:201675"]
Then use reality. The word is* not*, in reality, a noun.
mw2.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/illegal

When slang is used as a label, it is dehumanizing, whether it is meant that way or not.
I'm not into laziness and sloth. I can understand posting shortcuts, even when I do not like them or think they reflect an unchristian character. I do not understand news articles that take such liberties, nor do I believe that such titles are given for any reason other than emotionally loading an article. Surely we understand the media enough to recognize this ploy.

[/quote]

You' re right.....the correct term should be illegal alien. I will try to type it all out the next time I post. But the media, in cooperation with the politics of the day, will never call a spade a spade. "Immigrant" sounds so much more accepting than illegal alien. AND we are being psychologically primed to accept the invaders into this country by use of the words "comprehensive immigration reform" (watch the video as the commentator uses that term) instead of amnesty, which we all know, is coming. Such deception!

[quote="Tigg, post:18, topic:201675"]
Such deception!

[/quote]

On the other side of the statement, the one that is aimed at emotional control is "undocumented (person, immigrant or worker)". LOL. The average person who is here illegally has adequate documentation to show that they are here illegally. I try to be equal opportunistic in my persnickitiness.

[quote="Et_Cetera, post:4, topic:201675"]
And you seriously call yourself a Christian.

[/quote]

This is a very interesting concept and it "got me to thinking". Is there actually a relationship between what we call ourselves and what we are? Who gets to define the criteria? I think I'm a Christian but there are those who would probably apply their "grid" and declare me "out". In the end, what we call ourselves and what we are, probably do not necessarily correlate. The woods are full of interesting combinations like "pro-choice Catholic", etc. You make a very interesting point. Makes me want to read more Wittgenstein. ;)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.