Arizona Shooting. 6 Dead, 13 Injuried

online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444246904577574930592229206.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Jared Lee Loughner pleaded guilty Tuesday to going on a shooting rampage at a political gathering, killing 6 people and wounding 13 others, including his intended target, then-Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords.

Loughner’s plea spares him death penalty and came soon after a federal judge found that months of forcibly medicating him to treat his schizophrenia had made the 23-year-old college dropout competent.

Opinions anyone?

If anyone is wondering… Giffords, the intended target, is actually doing better now that she is getting intense care.

Well, if he met the requirements for criminal insanity, which is different from the clinical descriptors and diagnostic criterion for mental illness, then he should be given treatment and isolated from society until such time as he can be trusted to be in the public sphere again.

Clearly, he needs to be put away for a very long time.

I am glad to see that justice is being served. That said, I had not heard about Loughner’s mental state until now and it really doesn’t surprise me that he is schizophrenic. I am also glad to see that he did not get the death penalty. I do not believe that someone who commits a crime out of mental illness should get the death penalty. I really don’t believe in the death penalty at all.

He actually admitted to the crime to avoid the death penalty.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.