Ark of the Covenant to be unveiled?

israelnationalnews.com/News/Flash.aspx/167053

Apparently, the Patriarch of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church has decided to unveil the Holy Ark to the world. This isn’t Eastern Catholic, but, I guess it’s at least Eastern Christian…

The Ark was revealed by Jesus Christ as His Mother:

agapebiblestudy.com/charts/Mary%20the%20Ark%20of%20the%20New%20Covenant.htm

Book of Revelation chap. 11-12
And the temple of God was opened in heaven: and the ark of his testament was seen in his temple, and there were lightnings, and voices, and an earthquake, and great hail And a great sign appeared in heaven: A woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars: And being with child, she cried travailing in birth, and was in pain to be delivered.

1. Leaving aside charity towards God, who can contemplate the Immaculate Virgin without feeling moved to fulfill that precept which Christ called peculiarly His own, namely that of loving one another as He loved us? “A great sign,” thus the Apostle St. John describes a vision divinely sent him, appears in the heavens: “A woman clothed with the sun, and with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars upon her head” (Apoc. xii., 1). Everyone knows that this woman signified the Virgin Mary, the stainless one who brought forth our Head. The Apostle continues: “And, being with child, she cried travailing in birth, and was in pain to be delivered” (Apoc. xii., 2). John therefore saw the Most Holy Mother of God already in eternal happiness, yet travailing in a mysterious childbirth. What birth was it? Surely it was the birth of us who, still in exile, are yet to be generated to the perfect charity of God, and to eternal happiness. And the birth pains show the love and desire with which the Virgin from heaven above watches over us, and strives with unwearying prayer to bring about the fulfillment of the number of the elect.

ENCYCLICAL OF POPE PIUS X ON THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION
FEBRUARY 2, 1904
papalencyclicals.net/Pius10/p10imcon.htm

If they post any pictures of the historical ark, post them here!

Where does it say that the woman is the ark of his testament?

The "the ark of his testament was seen **in his temple**",

but the woman “appeared in heaven”.

:confused:

Please read the first link…if you were a Christian of Jewish background and in passing St. John mentions he saw the ark in Heaven, you would hit the roof and ask what happened to it, what it looks like, etc.

He is not just mentioning the Ark and not coming back to it…He is describing it:

A woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars: And being with child, she cried travailing in birth, and was in pain to be delivered.

I think you may have missed this link which is neccessary background to see what I am saying:

agapebiblestudy.com/charts/Mary%20the%20Ark%20of%20the%20New%20Covenant.htm

…am I the only one who sees massive significance in this? Lol.

You’re not the only one…this raises alot of theological issues.

I thought the Mother of God was the fulfillment of the ark? Furthermore, now that the Church has become the “New Israel.”

I remember before I became Catholic, I read about the Ark in Revalations and thought the Ark was in Heaven (completely seperate from Mary - after all, it was in a different chapter…). But, I do see it better now.

I’m very interrested in this. There was an Ark of the Covenant in the old testament so why the arguement about our Lady being the Ark? She was also an Ark. Two types of Arks both choosen by God to house Him. Am I wrong?

Note that the division of the Books of the Bible into chapters and verses was done for convenience long after they were written. It is not a part of Scriptural Teachings. As in this case, it is not always the proper division of the subject at hand.

JL: It is exciting I can’t wait for the unveiling of it and to see if it can be verified as the actual Ark of the Old Covenant. Also I would like to know why now is the time, I find that an interesting statement. Over the years many have went to Ethiopia to investigate but were never permitted to view the ark. Also I find it exciting Rome will be where it is announced.

The Church teaches Mary was ASSUMED into heaven by our Lord. She did not ASCEND as some mistakenly think. Only Christ could ascend of his own power into heaven, no one else. Mary being assumed, body and soul, by our Lord, into heaven is not unique Enoch and Elijah were taken into heaven also. The assumption is not explicit, but is implicit in scripture, just as the Trinity is implicit. Apostolic Tradition and Scripture go hand and hand as the authority in the Church’s discernment of the assumption. The Church as well as both Apostolic Tradition and Scripture have the Holy Spirit as it’s source 2Thes2:14 Whereunto he called you by OUR GOSPEL, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and HOLD THE TRADITIONS which YE HAVE BEEN TAUGHT, whether BY WORD, OR our EPISTLE.

REV 11:19 And THE TEMPLE OF GOD WAS OPENED IN HEAVEN and THERE WAS SEEN in his temple THE ARK of his testament and there were lightnings and voices and thunderings and an earthquake and great hail REV 12:1 And THERE APPEARED A GREAT WONDER in heaven A WOMAN CLOTHED WITH THE SUN and the MOON UNDER HER FEET and UPON HER HEAD A CROWN OF TWELVE STARS 2 And she being with child cried travailing in birth and pained to be delivered]

[Mary’s physical body is the Ark of the New Covenant as her body contained the living presents of God. We see the Ark is in heaven, she is clothed with the sun, the moon under her feet and she has a crown on her head. Her glorified physical body is described, from head to toe. The Temple of God is the Church in heaven which is opened and John saw the Ark of the New Covenant and after the lightnings etc. John saw a great wonder a woman, Mary.

We are told in the book of Hebrews what the ark of the old covenant contained, [Hb9:4 … the ark of the covenant overlaid round about with gold, WHEREIN WAS the golden pot that had MANNA, and AARON’S ROD that budded, and the TABLES OF THE CONVENANT;]

[Ex25:8 And let them MAKE ME A SANCTUARY; THAT I MAY DWELL AMONG THEM. 9 ACCORDING TO ALL that I SHEW THEE, after the pattern of the tabernacle, and the pattern of all the instruments thereof, even so shall ye make it. 10 Have them MAKE A CHEST OF ACACIA WOOD—two and a half cubits long, a cubit and a half wide, and a cubit and a half high. 11 OVERLAY IT WITH PURE GOLD, BOTH INSIDE AND OUT, and make a gold molding around it. Ex25:40 See that you make them according to the pattern shown you on the mountain.]

If the Lord wanted the ark of the old covenant, made by hands, made to exact pattern and specific detail, from acacia wood and covered inside and out with PURE GOLD, that he may dwell among us. How much more would he cover the flesh, body and soul, of the living ark of the new covenant, not made by hands, with the purity of the Holy Spirit inside and out, THAT HE MAY DWELL AMONG US.

Mary the ark of the new covenant, wherein was; the MANNA=CHRIST, TRUE BREAD OF LIFE, AARON’S ROD=CHRIST, TRUE HIGH PRIEST, TEN COMMANDMENTS=CHRIST, TRUE WORD OF GOD. Mary the Ark of the New Covenant contained the realities, not just symbols as the ark made by hands contained. Mary is the reality and fulfillment of the type and symbol, which the OT Ark represented.

LK 1:45 And BLESSED IS SHE THAT BELIEVED for there shall be a performance of those things which were told her from the Lord LK 1:48 For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden for behold FROM HENCEFORTH ALL GENERATIONS SAHLL CALL ME BLESSED LK 1:30 And the angel said unto her Fear not MARY for THOU HAST FOUND FAVOUR WITH GOD

1Kgs8:20 And THE LORD HATH PERFORMED HIS WORD that he spake, and I AM RISEN UP in the room of David my father, AND SIT ON THE THRONE OF ISRAEL, AS THE LORD PROMISED, AND have BUILT AN HOUSE FOR the name of THE LORD GOD OF ISRAEL. 21 And I HAVE SET THERE A PLACE FOR THE ARK, wherein is the covenant of the LORD, which he made with our fathers, when he brought them out of the land of Egypt.

Christ is the Son of David who has risen up and sits on the throne of Israel, as the Lord promised. Christ is the Son of David who is building a house for the name of the Lord God new spiritual Israel, the new TEMPLE THE CHURCH, which was opened in heaven.

Nb 10:35 And it came to pass when the ark set forward that Moses said Rise up LORD and let thine enemies be scattered and let them that hate thee flee before thee 36 And when it rested he said Return O LORD unto the many thousands of Israel

Hb9:4 which had the golden altar of incense and the gold-covered ark of the covenant. This ARK CONTAINED the gold jar of MANNA, AARON’S STAFF that had budded, and the stone TABLETS OF THE COVENANT.

Mary the living ark would contain, in her womb, the real living Word of God, CHRIST, the real living Bread of Life, CHRIST, and the real living High Priest, CHRIST. Not just symbols as the ark made by hands contained, but the actual realities. As our Lord says in Ex25:22 THERE, ABOVE THE COVER BETWEEN THE TWO CHERUBIM THAT ARE OVER THE ARK OF THE TESTIMONY, I WILL MEET WITH YOU AND GIVE YOU ALL MY COMMANDS FOR THE ISRAELITES.

2 MCABS 2:5 And when Jeremy came thither he found an hollow cave wherein he laid the tabernacle and the ark and the altar of incense and so stopped the door 6 And some of those that followed him came to mark the way but they could not find it 7 Which when Jeremy perceived he blamed them saying As for THAT PLACE IT SHALL BE UNKNOWN UNTILL THE TIME THAT GOD GATHER HIS PEOPLE again TOGETHER AND RECEIVE THEM UNTO MERCY. 8 THEN SHALL THE LORD SHEW THEM THESE THINGS AND THE GLORY OF THE LORD SHALL APPEAR AND THE CLOUD ALSO as it was shewed under Moses and as when Solomon desired that the place might be honourably sanctified

EX 40:34 Then** a cloud covered the tent of the congregation and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle** 35 And Moses was not able to enter into the tent of the congregation because the cloud abode thereon and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle

LK 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her** The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee** therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God

2 SAM 6:2 And David arose and went with all the people that were with him from Baale of Judah to bring up from thence the ark of God whose name is called by the name of the LORD of hosts that dwelleth between the cherubims

LK 1:39 **And Mary arose **in those days **and went **into the hill country with haste **into a city of Juda **

2 SAM 6:9 **And David was afraid **of the LORD that day and said How shall the ark of the LORD come to me?

LK 1:30 And the angel said unto her **Fear not Mary **for thou hast found favour with God

2 SAM 6:9 And David was afraid of the LORD that day and said How shall the ark of the LORD come to me?

LK 1:43 And whence is this to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

2 SAM 6:16 And as the ark of the LORD came into the city of David Michal Saul’s daughter looked through a window and saw king David leaping and dancing before the LORD and she despised him in her heart

LK 1:44 For lo as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears** the babe leaped in my womb for joy **

2 SAM 6:18 And as soon as David had made an end of offering burnt offerings and peace offerings** he blessed the people in the name of the LORD** of hosts

LK 1:45 And** blessed is she that believed **for there shall be a performance of those things which were told her from the Lord

2 SAM 6:11 And the ark of the LORD continued in the house of Obededom the Gittite three months: and the LORD blessed Obededom and all his household

LK 1:56 **And Mary abode with her about three months **and returned to her own house

No, I do.

All this comparison of Mary with the Ark is pure poetic license. It makes for very pleasant reading.

I am seriously interested in the real Ark of the Covenant, in a way I hope it is true but it will take more than a picture to convince me, the one in Axum deserves serious study.

However, I would not be the first one to touch it. :slight_smile:

[ATTACH]6066[/ATTACH]

Isn’t the revelation of the Ark of the Covenant supposed to be a big sign of the “last days” as well? I wonder how “End Times” enthusiasts are taking this news?

Peace and God bless!

I find this very exciting. I hope it is the real thing.

The Fathers have always seen the Ark of the Covenant to be a figure of the Theotokos. Orthodox iconography of the Ark usually shows her face on it.

However, it would not surprise me that the historical Ark of the Covenant is in Ethiopia. After all, it was the only other royal house that worshipped the God of Israel since the time of Solomon and Queen Mendaka, so it makes sense that the Ark might have been sent there for safe keeping when the Temple was in danger.

http://media.filmschoolrejects.com/images/raiders_face.jpg

Pure poetic license? What does that mean exactly?

It means that he either is not familiar with or does not place any value in typology, the foreshadowing of the New Testament in the Old…

Hello,

You don’t know me.

I understand with typology well enough, I may have forgotten already more than you are still trying to learn. :stuck_out_tongue:

In fact most typology can be understood as poetic license, that’s not a bad thing. The early Christians resorted to this a great deal, both the orthodox and the heretics.

Sometimes it is overdone by the overenthusiastic.

I happen to like the comparison of the Theotokos to the Ark of the Covenant, but it does not constitute doctrine. It is just a nice unprovable comparison, like an allegory, which can be used as an effective teaching tool.

You have to stay after class…

Hi Ghosty,

Good point, I hadn’t thought of that. :eek:

I think the church could use a good dose of apocolypticism these days.

Michael

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.