Arkansas 10-Year-Old Won’t Pledge Allegiance Until Gays Gain Equality

"Arkansas 10-Year-Old Won’t Pledge Allegiance Until Gays Gain Equality

A 10-year-old Arkansas boy name Will Phillips has decided that he cannot in good conscience pledge allegiance to the flag as long as the country for which it stands refuses legal equality to its GLBT citizens."…

Entire article here: edgesanfrancisco.com/index.php?ch=news&sc=&sc2=&sc3=&id=98884

:thumbsup: Awesome.

Poor kid. I remember being ten, and the propaganda I was raised with. I used to talk about class consciousness and the ruling class and the workers as if I knew what I was talking about, just becasue I’d been drilled in it. It’s absurd to credit an idea with validity just because adults have managed to train a child to repeat it. It would make as much sense as believing anything just because a parrot said it.
Of course whoever drilled this child in “gays and legal equality” left out the fact that they already have full legal equality. They can do anything 'straight" Americans can do. The issue now is whether thye have the entitlement to cultural and legal ascendancy, begining with the imposition of laws designed to criminalize the ability to distinguish between different behaviors, but a child can’t understand things like that.

Exactly the poor kid is being coached about things that most 10 year olds have no idea about…pathetic:( to use a child like this

I don’t agree with the kid in the slightest, but he has the right to do what he feels to make his statement.

I have my right, too. I haven’t displayed the national flag ever since Obama was elected, and I won’t until he is out of office. Instead, I fly my Gadsden:

http://www.eagleflag.com/hist/gadsden.jpg

You go with your bad self little boy! :thumbsup:

Apparently children aren’t obligated to say the pledge anyway, so what’s the problem? They should just let the little brat continue being a drama queen and go on with their lives as normal.

OK, so what? Brad Pitt won’t marry the mother of his children until Gays can marry… :rolleyes: Big deal.

That is a good idea. If the attention-seeking behavior gets no attention, then there is no issue. The left-leaning media is happy to give the kid and his “plight” attention, but if the school just says “okay” when he refuses to say the Pledge of Allegiance, then there is no story for them to cover. :thumbsup:

Brat? Drama queen? Agree or disagree with him, he’s taking a stand on a political issue at an age when most kids are more interested in the score of the Giants game. Is it really fair to direct that sort of vitriol at a ten year old you’ve never met?

Which gays? Some states allow gay marriage, so is he holding out for all states? Sounds like it is an easy out for him to avoid marriage to me because most Americans do not accept gay “marriage” and have said no to it every time it has been put to a vote. If that is Pitt’s excuse not to marry, then I’d say it is a pretty good one. .:shrug:

\They can do anything 'straight" Americans can do.\

**Except have a lifetime commitment made to the person they love to be recognized, supported, and protected at civil law–especially on the federal level.

However, I would remind this boy and all who refuse to say the Pledge of Allegiance that, among other things, it serves as a reminder of our ideal and what we struggle to accomplish–justice for all.

Sometimes we fail. In period of our history, we have failed even more miserably than we fail today.

But we try our best to make our vision of justice for all a reality.

The Pledge challenges us to reach that goal. **

In some states, deplorably enough, a same-sex partner does not have the legal right to make funeral arrangements for their deceased partner. I’d be interested to see the justification for that, but that is certainly not legal equality.

The fact that his cause is rubbish isn’t even the issue. For a moment, let’s just say for the sake of argument that he was taking a stand for something worthwhile instead… it would make more sense to actually take part in something constructive like disseminating information, organizing support and starting up some local organization, raising money for your cause, etc… you know, something that yielded actual RESULTS?

Although any of that stuff would actually take some effort. What’s he doing now… “I’m going to make a scene (and maybe get some attention) until I get my way!” Yeah how selfless of him. :rolleyes: And it really accomplishes nothing except preaching to the choir. All the people who already endorsed mock marriages before this will reflexively fawn over him and say “ooh how courageous!”, while those who were already opposed are not going to suddenly change their convictions as a result of a stunt from some attention-seeking little kid, and all the people who don’t care either way will just gloss over this like everything else. So at the end of the day, yes, all the little guy has managed to do is make himself a minor distraction by acting like a drama queen.

A courageous act of conscience that deserves to be acknowledged. Kudos to you kid! :wink:

He does not acknowledge the flag. I have had too many relatives serve in this country’s armed forces, which I am extremely proud of, to listen to anything he has to say- ten years old or not.

Deplorable only becuase they were too lazy to draw a durable power of attorney giving their “partner” this right. As I tell married clients all the time depending on marital status to cover issues like this is foolish to the extreme.

That has got to be one of the meanest and most judgemental posts I’ve ever read. Why should anyone have to go through the hell of hiring an attorney and going through court to be able to lay the one they love to rest?

So they can make sure their wishes are carried out after they die or if they are incacitated-the same reason EVEYBODY should do this.

But it isn’t a mistake that deserve that result. It isn’t a just outcome regardless of a workaround, and it isn’t an obvious problem, especially if the parties involved are younger.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.