Arlington ‘Flags In’ Tribute Begins Commemoration

Arlington ‘Flags In’ Tribute Begins Commemoration

http://www.defenselink.mil/dodcmsshare/newsstorythumb/2008-05/20080523-D-1052M-002-thumb-2.jpgMore than 3,000 soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines officially kicked off the Memorial Day commemoration as they placed 265,000 miniature flags at every grave at Arlington National Cemetery. Story

Commentary: Memorial Day vs. Veterans Day

A soldier serving his second tour in Iraq reflects on what Memorial Day means for today’s veterans. Story

Mullen to Troops: Remember Cost of Freedom

U.S. Navy Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, cited the importance of remembering the cost of freedom in a Memorial Day message to the armed forces. Story

Commission Urges Americans to Pause on Holiday

J.D. JOHANNES: Memorial Day in Iraq.

Blackfive: Memorial Day: Honoring The Fallen

Mudville Gazette: “I am going to die well”

Jules Crittenden has an update to the story below - On Dying And Continuing To Be Alive - that includes news of a forthcoming sequel to We Were Soldiers Once and Young.

I wrote this in tribute to a friend of mine. The name has been changed, for obvious reasons.

Fifteen Yards

The jungle’s green, the scars are healed
Where John O’Reilly lay
Alone upon a stricken field
We were sixteen miles away

For half an hour his line held firm
Then bowed and began to sway
But Alpha Company’s coming hard
Only seven miles away

To give them time to form again
He alone held all at bay
But he never reached the second line
We were just a mile away

Half unconscious, half awake
Between the lines he lay
We scrambled up the steep hillside
Just a quarter mile away

His hand opened, closed, relaxed again
As his spirit passed away
I saw him go from where I crouched
Just fifteen yards away

His son is grown, I met him once
But I could never say,
“I watched your father as he died
From fifteen yards away.”

The day will come when I will pay
The debt we all must pay
May John O’Reilly watch for me
From fifteen yards away.

Nicely said, Vern.

Ender

This picture was taken in 1918. It is a photo of 18,000 men preparing for war in a training camp at Camp Dodge in Iowa…
A gift from our grandfathers:
bp1.blogger.com/_L6pDyjqqsvY/SDrHpFhZOXI/AAAAAAAAN5Y/ItOiTuxKr24/s400/statue+of+liberty.jpg
Click to Enlarge

**Move America Forward **has launched an effort to ship the largest number of care packages to U.S. troops - in history. Between now and June 26th we’re asking Americans to sponsor personalized care packages that we will then ship over as part of a mass shipment to our troops - just in time for the 4th of July holiday!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.