Armageddon: Is 2007 the Year?

Of course, we really have no way of knowing. As Jesus said, “No man knows the day or hour.”

But that hasn’t stopped many of our Protestant brethren (specifically, those of the Dispensationalist, or “Left Behind” variety) from attempting to prognosticate about this in the past.

If you were alive or sentient back then, you may remember the big hullabaloo surrounding the year 1988. According to the reckoning of many, that was the year, a generation (i.e. 40 years) after the founding of Israel when the End Times were about to commence. I even had one co-worker (whose “house church” seemed to do little else besides study Daniel and Revelation) actually holed up in their leader’s basement on Yom Kippur of that year for three days expecting to be raptured away.

Of course, it never happened as they thought. However, the thought around Dispensationalist circles after that was that, instead of 1988, the End would instead come in 2007, 40 years after Israel retook Jerusalem (which happened in 1967).

My question is: have any of you heard any buzz from Dispensationalist groups that they are gearing up for next year for a repeat of 1988? Is this something we need to prepare a ready apologetic for now, since we and our fellow Catholics are sure to be bombarded with this type of talk during the next several months?

In this time of the liturgical year (Advent) when Catholics traditionally start thinking about the Last Things and many of the readings are taken from the Book of Revelation, would this be a good time to start preparing – apologetics-wise, that is?

Any thoughts on this would be welcome. :tiphat: (although I don’t want to discuss the merits of Dispensationalism itself. Please start another thread if you are so inclined)

Oh heavens - I seem to remember 1997 (based on Nostradamus I think, as well as the fact that Christ apparently lived for 1,997 weeks).

Just ignore these people as they so richly deserve.

aw darn, I missed it, I hate when that happens

Sorry, no can do.

Even though you and I can laugh them off, untold numbers of uncatechized Catholics have been sucked out of the Church and into fundamentalist groups by this “Left Behind” nonsense. Call it the apologist’s burden.:slight_smile:

I guess I’m lucky we Australians tend to be fairly cynical in matters religious - most of us don’t go for the end-times nonsense.

In all seriousness, I’d print up a bunch of business cards with the following verses (KJV of course, since some don’t like anything else):

“But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only” Matt 24:36

“But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.” Mark 13:32

“And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation” Luke 17:20

Ask them how they or the propagators of this crud can dare to claim greater knowledge than the angels *and Christ himself *(which is what they’re doing if they claim to know when the world will end). And how they can ignore these plainest warnings against trying to predict the end?

If they won’t listen, unfortunately you may have to wash your hands of them, but at least leave the card with them, it may give them pause to think.

they did get raptured. we are all left behind!:eek:

I haven’t heard any buzz about 2007, but Jack Van Impe has been saying for years that it would be no later than 2012. A lot is being made of that year for a number of other reasons - the Mayan calendar went no further than that, for example.

Also, I think that there has been a shift away from specifying a date due, I think, to the Scriptures cited above and the many prior “failed” dates. What seems to be the rage now is to point to an apparently ever increasing level of intensity related to natural phenomena and political unrest, both in quantity and severity. Tsunamis, hurricanes, earthquakes, wars, rumors of wars, and on and on… This year’s mild hurricane season and the lack of many catastrophic natural phenomena threw a wrench into those works, though.

In short, I haven’t heard anything regarding 2007, but according to many of those who like to dabble in prophecy, we’re supposed to be real close.

My biggest concern is that if we get raptured and leave our clothes behind, won’t it be a bit awkward for a while until we get our glorified bodies? :smiley:

Same here. I hope to lose some weight before then, myself.:smiley:

End of the world? Bring it on. No more housework, laundry, scrubbing toilets, morgage payments, student loans, car payments, credit card bills, etc. Just let me know a date and I’ll be ready.:smiley:

Didn’t Jesus leave his shroud and other graveclothes behind? And his other clothes were given to the soldiers. So he may have been resurrected only in his loincloth or less! :bigyikes:

Oh ! damn, I forgot to set my alarm clock last time, is this Heaven, where am I ? :getholy:

if I get raptured without my glasses, will the rest of you guys tell me what is going on?

Why not 2007?

It was supposed to be 2006; 2005; 2003; 2002; 2001’ 1999; 1998; 1997; 1996; 1995; 1994…why should 2007 be any different :wink:

Ok you add the 2 and the 7 and get 9, brill, and 9 is the number for a novena, there you go, code broke, be prepared.

Sounds logical ? :irish2: all the others where just practice runs,** next year is it.**

No, it’s 2012 because that’s when the present Mayan calendar comes to an end. The New Ager’s are agreeing with VanIme:eek:

Just remember that 1000 years ago, there was also a hype on the Parousia. Many people also thought that Jesus would come on that date but nothing happened. Only God knows that; how dare they claim to be God.

…As an aside,
I guess souls in Heaven do not have any clothes on. Did you not see Michelangelo’s Last Judgment and Jack T. Chick’s art? Did you not see those traditional paintings of the Resurrection (Jesus is only covered with His loincloth and/or a cloak) ?:smiley:

I guess my pencils and books got Raptured; many of them are gone for some time now…So, technically, the Rapture happened an hour ago.

**So remember, Brethren, If some of your family/stuff/pets suddenly disappeared, You should PRAISE GOD!! **

Be comforted that they are now caught up with the Lord in the air, as it is said in the Epistle of the Apostle Paul to the Thessalonians 4:16–17.

**They shall reign with the Lord for a thousand years, The Second death shall never harm them, and they shall be priests of our God and of our Lord Jesus Christ! **

May Glory and Honor be to our Lord Forever and Ever!! AMEN!!

…The above was brought to you by Pastor Jesse James of the Wrap-ture Ministries of Pilotry Island, West Antartamerasia, Pacific Ocean. :smiley:

:smiley:

But what I don’t understand is why individual socks have to be Raptured instead of pairs. And why it always has to be my favourites :frowning:

But did not Our Lord Jesus say, ‘One will be taken and the other Left Behind’? :smiley:

IM WITH YOU MOMMY!!!:smiley: :smiley: Be ready everyday:thumbsup: As a fundie(so to speak) I have not heard this at all. Of course my church would think this is HOGWash so wouldnt talk about it anyway.

At exactly midnight on the last day, what day is it one minute later? The same day or the day after? :eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.