Army Leaker Chelsea Manning on Obama’s ‘Short List’ for Commutation

President Barack Obama has put Chelsea Manning, the former Army intelligence analyst serving a 35-year sentence for leaking classified material, on his short list for a possible commutation, a Justice Department source told NBC News.

nbcnews.com/news/us-news/army-leaker-chelsea-manning-obama-s-short-list-commutation-n705441

Ah, the traditional 11th hour commutations of the outgoing President. I wonder if he’ll do anything for Blagojevich. :stuck_out_tongue:

he still has 8 days…

Don’t they generally do it on the very last day in office? It always made me feel like they wait until everyone’s attention is on the new guy and then just start passing out the “get out of jail free” cards when the media and general public aren’t really paying attention.

Not that some aren’t deserving of commutations, of course. It’s just sort of interesting to me that they always save it for the last minute instead of doing it in the middle of their term.

I’ve also heard rumors (though none from what I’d call a reliable source) that Leonard Peltier and Mumia Abu Jamal are on the short list.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

I am sure he would love to commute the sentences of these 2!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.