Article about Pope Francis

spiegel.de/international/world/how-pope-francis-became-a-rebel-in-the-vatican-a-1035629.html#ref=rss

Not done reading this yet. But this line really touched me:

Whenever Francis goes off-script, the Vatican’s press department prepares for the worst. This pope keeps everyone on their toes, says one high-ranking member of the Curia: “With him, you can even imagine him selling Michelangelo’s Pietà and giving the money to the poor.”

I can imagine that, too.

Pope Francis really is shedding the light and glory of Christ before the eyes of the world in a very real and very noticeable way.

:thumbsup:

Interesting to read that he was a chemical engineer. Didn’t know that.

I love this from the article:

‘Amidst all of this pomp and patina, Bergoglio, an Argentinian, still seems strangely alien to this day – like a big, exotic bird beating its wings in a golden cage.’

In all honesty, I just ignore anything anyone says about Pope Francis anymore. Leftists and secularists think he is too conservative and doctrinaire, while ultra-traditionalists denounce him as a Modernist and a progressive.

It would be so incredible if he actually did something like this.
This is how everyone should be thinking.

What poor? Those only in Rome would be fed for how long? Where would be the Pieta? Not where it is now for millions of people to see it but in some private collection.

The view of this writer is his own. Pope Francis will always champion Christ because that is more important than the poor. Yes helping the poor is honourable but not at the expense of worship due to Jesus and remembering all that he did for us which includes his Mother’s role in Salvation History. The Pieta is kept in a place where all can see it and marvel in God’s work.

Perhaps the writer forgot about : Matthew 26

While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of Simon the Leper, 7 a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table.

8 When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. “Why this waste?” they asked. 9 “This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor.”
10 Aware of this, Jesus said to them, “Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. 11 The poor you will always have with you,[a] but you will not always have me. 12 When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial. 13 Truly I tell you, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.”

Nothing should supercede the Gospel. God must be worshipped first and foremost and not at the expense of some personal opinion. Let’s not lose focus of the big picture. The Gospel must be preached, the poor served with Love and people strengthened by the Sacraments.

So the poor cannot supercede Christ.

Yes the poor will always be important to the Church but Jesus’ commandments should be first and foremost.

MJ

Well said, MJ. Beautiful. :thumbsup:

That aside, the present Holy Father seems to be genuinely popular with non-Catholics. Not long after he was elected, news about him and his quotations were circulated by non-Catholic friends and many of that found their ways into my e-mail, which they did not do before. Praise God for that nevertheless. However, some of that can be quite frivolous like comparison between him and Pope Emeritus B XVI over the color and the fabric of their vestments.

Hopefully it was not just a period of honeymoon with him until he would make a stand on some serious issues, like the Armenians genocide lately. Hopefully their love for him would not change.

God bless.

Reuben.

Not seeing this as good arguments.

Peace!!!

…And the Smithsonian should sell all it’s art and artifacts as well, correct? Every museum in the world should be stripped of all art and antiquities and the money given to the poor, right? So, this art, even art made specifically by the artist to glorify God publicly, should be sold off to hang in some rich man’s private estate, right? This priceless art that belongs to the ages; not the Vatican, should be sold? Really?

But wait, art bequeathed to both the Vatican and the Smithsonian, for the sole purpose of displaying for the enjoyment of the public, can’t legally be sold. The Pope could not sell off Vatican treasures, even if he wanted to. So, there goes that theory.

The article was being facetious, not literal.

Pope Francis is an incredible representative of our Church. I love reading about the ways he shows God’s mercy and love. I love his humility. We need him very much right now and I think the Holy Spirit definitely moved those that elected him to represent us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.