[Article] Hollywood execs admit - 'Pushes a Liberal Agenda'

TV Executives Admit in Taped Interviews That Hollywood Pushes a Liberal Agenda
By Paul Bond, The Hollywood Reporter

tv.yahoo.com/blog/tv-executives-admit-in-taped-interviews-that-hollywood-pushes-a-liberal-agenda--3086

Some of TV's top executives from the past four decades may have gotten more than they bargained for when they agreed to be interviewed for a politically charged book that was released Tuesday, because video of their controversial remarks will soon be hitting the Internet.

The book makes the case that TV industry executives, writers and producers use their clout to advance a liberal political agenda. The author bases his thesis on, among other things, 39 taped interviews that he'll roll out piecemeal during the next three weeks.

The Hollywood Reporter obtained several of the not-yet-released clips. Each contains a snippet of an interview, usually some historical footage of the TV shows the interviewee was responsible for and, naturally, a plea to purchase the book, "Primetime Propaganda" by Ben Shapiro and published by Broad Side, an imprint of HarperCollins.
In one video, "Friends" co-creator Marta Kauffman says that when she cast Candace Gingrich-Jones, half-sister of Republican former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, as the minister of a lesbian wedding, "There was a bit of [a middle finger] in it to the right wing."

Kauffman also acknowledges she "put together a staff of mostly liberal people," which is another major point of Shapiro's book: that conservatives aren't welcome in Hollywood.

Maybe that's because they're "idiots" and have "medieval minds." At least that's what "Soap" and "Golden Girls" creator Susan Harris thinks of TV's conservative critics.

*....... article continued at *tv.yahoo.com/blog/tv-executives-admit-in-taped-interviews-that-hollywood-pushes-a-liberal-agenda--3086

Continuing article...

"Most nepotism in Hollywood isn't familial, it's ideological," Shapiro writes in the book. "Friends hire friends. And those friends just happen to share their politics."

Another video Shapiro will release shortly has producer-director Nicholas Meyer being asked point-blank whether conservatives are discriminated against in Hollywood. "Well, I hope so," he answers. Meyer also admits his political agenda for "The Day After," a TV movie he directed for ABC that was seen by 100 million people when it aired in 1983.

"My private, grandiose notion was that this movie would unseat Ronald Reagan when he ran for re-election," Meyer says.

Even seemingly harmless shows like "Happy Days" and "Sesame Street" have been used to advance a progressive agenda, according to Shapiro.

For example, William Bickley, a writer on "The Partridge Family" and a producer on "Happy Days," says he infused Vietnam War protest messages into the latter. "I was into all that," he says in a soon-to-be-released video.

"Television has been perhaps the most impressive weapon in the left's political arsenal," Shapiro argues in the book.

Other upcoming videos include: "Family Ties" creator Gary David Goldberg explaining how he tried to make Republican character Alex Keaton the bad guy but that actor Michael J. Fox was too darn lovable; and president of MTV Networks Entertainment Group Doug Herzog talking about his network having "superpowers" when it comes to its influence over young people.

The advancement of a gay and lesbian political agenda is mentioned by multiple executives, including Marcy Carsey, a producer of "Soap" and "Roseanne," and "Desperate Housewives" producer Marc Cherry, who is a rarity in Hollywood: a gay Republican.

In her video, Carsey also says she insisted on portraying characters smoking marijuana in "That '70s Show." "If this is a problem for you, we certainly understand, and we just won't do the show," she told executives at Fox.

Shapiro released two videos Tuesday, one featuring "COPS" creator John Langley saying he's partial to segments where white people are the criminals, and the other has Fred Silverman, the former head of ABC and later NBC, saying "there's only one perspective, and it's a very progressive perspective" in TV comedy today.

Shapiro said the executives felt comfortable talking about politics with him because they assumed, incorrectly, that he is on the left.

"Most of them didn't Google me. If they had, they would have realized where I am politically," he said. "I played on their stereotypes. When I showed up for the interviews, I wore my Harvard Law baseball cap — my name is Ben Shapiro and I attended Harvard, so there's a 98.7 percent chance I'm a liberal. Except I happen not to be."

Shapiro said he'll time the debut of certain videos for maximum effect. One that slams Sean Hannity, for example, is reserved for his scheduled appearance on Hannity's show on the Fox News Channel.

And conservative pundit Ann Coulter has a new book out June 7. "I have two people ripping her by name, so I'll release those the day Ann's book is released," Shapiro said.

One of those slamming Coulter is George Schlatter, who directed and produced "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In" in the 1970s, using the show to knock Republicans and the Vietnam War. "The fact we [ticked] the Pentagon off, that pleased me enormously," he says before calling Coulter a vulgar word.

In his video, Schlatter also goes off on right-wing radio hosts Rush Limbaugh and Laura Ingraham.

Shapiro says he didn't disclose that he'd be releasing the tapes, but that his subjects have no reason to complain.

"I asked them for permission to tape, and there's no reasonable expectation of privacy when you're being interviewed for a book," he said.

"If they're going to be shocked at something, it should be themselves, not me," Shapiro said. "They should be shocked that opinion is so one-sided in Hollywood that it's OK to say, 'I'm fine with discrimination.'"

"My whole book is a plea for openness in the industry," he added. "Hire people from the other side of the aisle once in a while, or at least stop mocking them."

I don't think the above article will be a surprise to anyone here.

Although this article is about liberals, it also, more or less, confirms something that I have noticed, which is that there are a lot of Jewish actors. Now my comment should not be interpreted in any way shape or form, as anything but a long standing observation. What it confirmed for me is that the guys in charge are hiring (I say with all due respect) 'there own kind.'

Editing my own comment... I originally wrote that given the above, I don't think Catholicism has a snowballs chance in hell to survive in Hollywood. The edit is because I have found that Blue Bloods does treat our religion with respect.

I also made a comment that this bias is why I was SHOCKED to see Jim Caviezel having a part in a new series. With Caviezel, I found it interesting that a handsome, intelligent, talented actor was not more in demand given the success of the Passion movie. But I always believe that Hollywood was deliberately shunning him.

Hugh Laurie, the star of "House", it is my understanding, is a atheist, as is his character.

Was there ever any doubt?

[quote="Erich, post:4, topic:242478"]
Was there ever any doubt?

[/quote]

No surprise here, but it makes me sad.

We all knew it but how many of us got rid of our cable and stopped going to the movies?

I always thought liberalism was something that just went along with acting.

and, in other news, the sky is blue.

[quote="Brendan_McCabe, post:6, topic:242478"]
We all knew it but how many of us got rid of our cable and stopped going to the movies?

[/quote]

I got rid of my cable a year ago, and I only go to the movies kicking and screaming. The last movie I saw was iron man 2 (may 2010) because everyone at my friends bachelor party was going. Before that it was the simpsons movie (summer 2007), and before that it was Robots (early summer 2005).

Ideological nepotism is a great word for it.

Informal poll: how many of you, in the course of a political or moral debate, have heard South Park or family guy mentioned?

I don’t find this at all surprising, although I have a feeling the depth of the discrimination will end up being a bit shocking, depending on what all the author was able to dig up for the book.

I can’t speak too much about the entertainment industry, but I know this is also pretty widespread in the education field. I have tons of friends & family in education and there’s not a single one who’s even just slightly left-leaning. One curious thing about them is that they can’t even comprehend that anyone they know isn’t also an extreme liberal, so they have no problems discussing these things openly. My cousin’s wife is in administration and does the hiring for an entire school district. She told me that one of the first thing she does when she gets a resume is to check the person’s Facebook page. If they list themself as a Republican or conservative, or if they’ve liked any conservative causes, groups, talk show hosts, etc., they’re immediately disqualified. I asked if that also included religious groups, and she said “that depends on the religion.” She wouldn’t say anything else on those lines but did say that if the person has links to pro-life/anti-abortion groups, she throws the resume away.

[quote="GIR, post:8, topic:242478"]
Informal poll: how many of you, in the course of a political or moral debate, have heard South Park or family guy mentioned?

[/quote]

:rotfl:

I was afraid that was just me. Some of the primary sources of "facts" when I'm debating with my liberal friends are Family Guy, Howard Stern, Jon Stewart and Keith Olberman.

Hollywood is one BIG cesspool. I haven't watched a movie made since 1963.:slapfight:

[quote="garyo49, post:11, topic:242478"]
Hollywood is one BIG cesspool. I haven't watched a movie made since 1963.:slapfight:

[/quote]

:eek: Mary Poppins '64, Sound of Music '65?!?!

Yea no surprise there, I don't have cable though I do go to the movies every so often when my wife really wants to see something...

It’s awfully hard to eliminate Hollywood from one’s life entirely without becoming a cultural hermit. But limiting your contributions to $9.99 a month through Netflix or similar is a potential way of staying culturally literate while minimizing the funding of these creeps.

Anyone ever watch "Chuck"? It has a conservative pro-gun man on the show

I love how the author went after MacGyver. Seriously? That show had guns on it

Anyway, if Hollywood is liberal, who cares?

I haven't been this surprised by a news item since I saw the press release that the Pope is, indeed, Catholic. :p

[quote="Gift_from_God, post:15, topic:242478"]
Anyone ever watch "Chuck"? It has a conservative pro-gun man on the show.

[/quote]

One of my favorite moments of the season was when the one guy who had just come out of his stupor after 30 years saw the picture of Ronald Reagan in Casey's apartment and asked "Is he still President" to which Casey replied "If only!" :D

As everybody else has posted here, nothing new. Guess what, folk the sky is blue.:rolleyes:

OTOH, thos does not mean that what we as a society should push for is ALL CONSERVATIVE television. either. What we need is a variety of viewpoints and non-imposition of a particular ideology or viewpoint. Also, more Catholic/Christian-centered programming.

TV Executives Admit in Taped Interviews That Hollywood Pushes a Liberal Agenda (Exclusive Video)

hollywoodreporter.com/news/tv-executives-admit-taped-interviews-193116

Warning: one swear word.

Wow. Really intersting article. I wish there were any hope that my mother would read it, because she says I'm making it up that TV shows have a strong bias to the left.

Thanks for posting the link!

--Jen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.