Article: The fall of Satan and the demons at the beginning of time

The fsll of satan is told in the Bible:
“And there was a great battle in heaven, Michael and his angels fought with the dragon, and the dragon fought and his angels:
And they prevailed not, neither was their place found any more in heaven.
And that great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, who seduceth the whole world”…
(Rev 12:7-9)

Would this be a good place to ask my burning question? You CAF folks were so helpful when I asked about Mary being full of Grace…

Are the angels full of grace? They see the face of God every day and do his bidding… And if they are full of grace then how could Satan fall from grace?

Yes, the angels are full of grace and are vastly more powerful beings than us mere humans. They have the power to make up their minds unchangeably forever; unlike us.

Now, Satan and the rebel angels fell from grace.

Satan fell into pride, refusing to bow down to Adam; and decided he would attempt to overthrow and become God. He convinced two thirds of the angels to join him in his rebellion.

As angels; they made their choice and it’s irrevocable. Unlike humans; angels don’t have a shot at redemption like we do. Satan and the rebel angels are damned to Hell forever and seek to lead us into hell with them. Because they hate us that much.

1 Like

It would seem that the angel had no need of grace in order to turn to God. For, we have no need of grace for what we can accomplish naturally. But the angel naturally turns to God because he loves God naturally as is clear from what has been said in the Bible. Therefore an angel did not need grace in order to turn to God.
As for the fall of Satan, it would seem that angels were given free will only once upon creation, and Satan, out of pride, chose to reign in Hell rather than to serve in Heaven.

1 Like

So grace is just for the human race… I was just wondering…

Yes it is a gift freely given if you sincerely seek it.

Question asked here–if the angels see God’s face, how can they fall?

Saint Thomas Aquinas said the angels fell moment they were created. That is, they didn’t see God’s face then, before the fell.

That is my understanding as well. The angels were given a choice at the moment they were created, to serve or not to serve. They did not know God at the instant they made their choice.

The ones that made the correct choice were rewarded with the beatific vision and never looked back, so happy were they. The ones that rebelled continued on, without God, forever and ever, and thus we say they entered into hell and eternal damnation.

I think Archangel Michael must have reacted against Lucifer as his second action after making his first instantaneous correct choice to serve God, at which point God gave him the power and might to eject Lucifer from heaven.

Things happened swiftly in heaven, far too quickly for us beings in time to have even reacted had we been present.

With regard to our speed, we are not even the swiftest creatures on earth, and so we have to give up our ‘seat of the pants’ intuition regarding how swiftly things happened among the angelic host. The speed of our thought does not even remotely approach that of angels; when contemplating the creation of the angels, I have come to the conclusion that we cannot think otherwise. We are very very different from the angels in some respects and any attempt on our part to really see things from their point of view is probably doomed to failure.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.