Artwork From Abortions: OUTRAGE

Yale Art Student Claims She Used Blood Samples, Video of Self-Induced Abortions for Senior Project
Thursday , April 17, 2008
By Catherine Donaldson-Evans

A Yale student who claims she artificially inseminated herself “as often as possible” and then took drugs to induce miscarriages for her senior art project says she will showcase the stomach-turning display next week — complete with her own blood samples and videos from the terminated possible pregnancies.

foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,351608,00.html

============================
Interestingly enough, here’s one of those few instances where James White and we agree:
aomin.org/aoblog/index.php?itemid=2634

Anyway, I’m just sick…anyone else?:(:frowning:

She can call it art if she wants to…I’ll call it what it is… sick, demented, disgusting, evil and wicked.

This outrageoius and disgusting topic of murdering children and calling it “art” is being discussed on another thread.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=233970

the proper response to this would be a scandalous one in itself- I don’t think I should put it here.

I am not outraged about it. People do these things to shock and scandalize people, and abortion is a hot topic right now, so naturally, someone is going to do something like this to get a reaction. This is Sodom and Gomorrah revisited.

Thankfully, this is turning out be a hoax.

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351608,00.html

A hoax of the sickest sort, I will add.

I like the quotation

“She is an artist and has the right to express herself through performance art,” Klasky wrote.

Should I read that to say: *lying is a proper art form at Yale University? *Worth keeping in mind when evaluating statements from that source.

Sic transit Lux et Veritas. :frowning:

I had the same reaction. Yale seems to think that deception is fine, but actually doing the act wouldn’t be okay.

[quote=Yale Office of Public Affairs]The entire project is an art piece, a creative fiction designed to draw attention to the ambiguity surrounding form and function of a woman’s body.

She is an artist and has the right to express herself through performance art.

Had these acts been real, they would have violated basic ethical standards and raised serious mental and physical health concerns.
[/quote]

yale.edu/opa/

Praise God.

Lock the thread???

Now the student is disputing what the Yale Administrations said yesterday evening and is insisting that she really did murder her own children for the sake of “art”.

Story on Fox News.

Story on the Yale Daily News.

Regardless of your position on abortion, this is some sick, twisted stuff.

Isn’t there any faculty oversight/advice on such projects? How come this is the first the University heard of it?

The original Yale Daily News article mentions that School of Art lecturer Pia Lindman is Schvarts’ senior-project advisor. I guess Ms. Lindman didn’t think it merited discussing with the administration.

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351730,00.html

What next? How far has our culture descended now? More and more reasons to pray!

You know, I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t understand the meanings behind much modern art (and am most times, unwilling to believe that there IS meaning), but this one takes the cake. I don’t understand this woman’s babble about the female’s “form and function” in society. Murdered babies illuminate this how?

I’m pretty sure if it leaked out that a Yale science student was impregnating herself, then inducing miscarriages to use the fetal mater in scientific experiments there would be a pretty swift and decisive ruling. So why all the ambiguity around the art student?

And when did art cease at least STRIVING to contain Beauty?

I, too, am unsure of her point. Perhaps once she gets graded and graduates she will explain things more thoroughly.

I’m pretty sure if it leaked out that a Yale science student was impregnating herself, then inducing miscarriages to use the fetal mater in scientific experiments there would be a pretty swift and decisive ruling. So why all the ambiguity around the art student?

Well, Yale did say that if she had really done what she claimed, then they would have shut down her project for being physically and mentally damaging. But now that she seems intent on pushing ahead with her “performance art”, Yale seems to be taking a harder line:

[quote=Yale Office of Public Affairs]Today the Yale student newspaper published an op-ed by Ms. Shvarts in which she contradicted what she said yesterday to the Deans and Master. However, in conversations today with university officials, she reiterated what she had told the administrators yesterday.”

Statement by Dean of the Yale School of Art Robert Storr:

The Dean of the Yale School of Art Robert Storr stated, “ If I had known about this, I would not have permitted it to go forward. This is not an acceptable project in a community where the consequences go beyond the individual who initiates the project and may even endanger that individual. Yale has a profound commitment to freedom of expression, and I personally am committed to a women’s right to choose. That said, Yale does not encourage or condone projects that would involve unknown health risks to the student. Nor does it believe that open discourse and inquiry can exist in an educational and creative community when an individual exercises these rights but evades full intellectual accountability for the strong response he or she may provoke.”

Statement by Dean of Yale College Peter Salovey:

The Dean of Yale College Peter Salovey stated, “I am appalled. This piece of performance art as reported in the press bears no relation to what I consider appropriate for an undergraduate senior project. The Dean of the School of Art and I are reassessing what constitutes an appropriate senior art project and the manner in which those projects are mentored.”

[/quote]

yale.edu/opa/newsr/08-04-18-05.all.html

And when did art cease at least STRIVING to contain Beauty?

erm… I dunno. Perhaps the cubism movement of the early 20th century?

Even more astonishing is the Dean of the Art School publicly recommitting to a “woman’s right to choose”. If what this student says is true, and she deliberately impregnated herself to deliberately give herself “something” to abort and use in her art, then the Dean has aligned himself with her “right” to do so.

How can they proclaim their “pro choice” stance in one breath, then condemn what she’s doing in the next?

If you’re pro-choice, then it seems to me that you have no other recourse than to support even this woman’s “choice”.

The Yale Daily News reports:
The University will not allow Aliza Shvarts ’08 to display her controversial senior art project at its scheduled opening Tuesday unless she confesses in writing that the exhibition is a work of fiction, Yale officials said Sunday.

The University, meanwhile, acknowledged that it has disciplined two faculty members for their role in allowing Shvarts to proceed with a project that she claimed included nine months of repeated artificial inseminations followed by self-induced miscarriages.

As news of Shvarts’ project swept across the Web last week and attracted the ire of students and private citizens alike, Shvarts and the University engaged in a match of he-said/she-said: Shvarts stood by her project as she described it earlier last week in a news release, while the University – claiming Shvarts had privately denied actually committing the acts in question – dismissed it as a hoax that amounted to nothing more than “performance art.” …

Years ago my little sister, very ill, was sent home to await a miscarriage. She baptized everything that came out, crying all the night long. She passed away at age 25. To have this woman make a mockery of abortion is sickening. Very sad.

Yale University followed through on its warning Tuesday and banned a student’s “abortion art” project from the opening of a campus exhibit after she continued to deny that she fabricated shocking stories of multiple inseminations and self-induced miscarriages.

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352137,00.html

That’s not art - it’s a biohazard.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.