As a Catholic can i attend a Baptist church regularly?

My parents brought me up in a strong catholic faith. When I had my own kids, I also introduced them to all the catholic values and traditions. My teenage daughter never really was overly enthusiastic about going to church and questioned whether she even believed in God. Recently she was introduced to a baptist church that has a strong youth group leading it and now she is very keen about being a Christian. I am excited that she now believes in God and is keen to go to church and bible study every week. But my dad is making me feel guilty that she is choosing the baptist church over the catholic one. I am just excited that her faith in God has been re-established and now she actually wants to attend church on her own free will. Should I encourage and just give her some restrictions, like: on occasion we as a family will attend the catholic one because that is the one our family has a strong connection to; you shouldn’t receive the eurcarist at the Baptist church; you shouldn’t get baptized again at the Baptist church because she has already been baptized. Please let me know what your thoughts are. I don’t want to be disrespectful to my dad or my faith. Thank you

Catholics are obligated to attend Catholic Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation. Attending a Protestant worship service does not substitute for this obligation.

That being said, while the Church has no prohibition on Catholics occasionally attending other Christian worship (provided one’s Mass obligation is satisfied) for social or family reasons, it really is a contradiction to claim to believe what the Church teaches in regards to the Eucharist and the sacraments and then regularly attend another faith’s worship services.

As a teenager your daughter is gaining more and more independence and the older she gets she has the right to follow the dictates of her own conscience. I don’t know how old she is but you need to make the best parental decision that you believe won’t alienate her from her faith journey or her understanding of Catholicism. I don’t think you need to forbid her from ever attending another faith community’s worship but at the same time she shouldn’t be expecting the rest of the family to abandon their faith.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.