As a Catholic, how do I justify voting for a Mormon?

A friend of mine posed this question to me. "If the most critical issue in life is my true response to the identity of Christ, then how can I vote for anyone who believes Jesus is the brother of Lucifer? If someone says they are “pro-life” and “pro-marriage” does it matter more than if he is anti-Christ?" I am confused and unsure on who to place in charge of the future of our country. Which is the lesser of the two evils?

Dear friend,

Mormons do not consider Jesus to be evil. They honor him, but do not believe that He is God.
Most of our presidents have had errors in their understanding of God and the things of God. The country is voting for a president; not a religious leader. When we vote for any one seeking political office, we need to judge the person on the values he holds as opposed to the values held by his opponent. Which person will best support our ability to live according to OUR values? Seldom are the choices perfect.

For a review of the values that are non-negotiable,see:

catholic.com/sites/default/files/voters_guide_for_serious_catholics.pdf

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.