As a Catholic, I envy Mormons this

Every now and then, I stalk Mormon mom blogs, including www.nieniedialogues.com, the blog of Stephanie Nielson. Not long ago, she shared the following:

Last week our prophet (RMN), President Nelson spoke to the youth (parents and leaders too) of the Church and invited them to do five things that will help know who they are and what their plan and role is on this earth:

*Hold a seven-day fast from social media.
*Make a weekly sacrifice of time to the Lord for three weeks.
*Keep on the covenant path. If you are off, repent and get back on the path.
*Pray daily that all of God’s children might receive the blessings of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
*Stand out. Be different. Be a light. Give to a friend one copy of the booklet For the Strength of Youth.

Whenever this sort of thing pops up, I feel a bit envious that LDS leadership is providing specific suggested steps for its followers. I pray for the Holy Father’s intentions each month and I listen to my bishop when he asks for prayers on specific topics, too. But I don’t ever remember receiving this kind of directive from Church leadership. Does anyone else notice or experience this?

Sometimes I envy Muslims Because of the modest dress of the women.

So, the Mormon leadership do some cool, topical, timely stuff.

we have Jesus present in the Eucharist

IMO, that blows the LDS out of the water

Of course. I don’t have any desire to become LDS. I just like this aspect of their church’s leadership and wish I could have some of it from my own.

Not directly in homily-form, but there are plenty of Catholic advice books and blogs out there.

I like the idea of media fast. I do that sometimes, when my anxiety is creeping upward.

But I have been inspired by devout non-Catholics. I mean, good spiritual advice is good spiritual advice!

Our family is adopting this for the next week. Tonight is my last night on CAF for a week. My oldest said, “Whoa. You’re on there a lot more than I’m on my computer.” Proof that I’m doing the right thing! :slight_smile:

I live in an area with a growing Muslim population, and I find myself intrigued by the idea of not being judged by my appearance.
Sometimes I’d like to dispense with the styling products, mascara and foundation and just throw a veil over it all LOL

Yeah, but that’s like castrating yourself to avoid impurity.

Holiness is in the struggle, not the lack of one

Maybe so, but not sure what their intentions are.

Wearing a veil is not like castrating yourself. It is like avoiding the near occasion of sin, and helping others avoid it too, thus reducing the need for struggle. If struggle was holier than no struggle, avoiding the near occasion of sin would make no sense. But in truth, holiness is in the struggle only insofar as struggle is necessary. If it can be avoided altogether (and sin with) it, then that is holier.

Scripture strongly confirms this. In Jesus’ own very strong words:

And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell. (Matthew 5:30)

The corollary would be for the man who is feeling tempted to have to cover his eyes. The woman isn’t the problem here—the man is.

yes, every religious Church has a set of rules. some Churches strictly enforce them because, for them, they believe it is a path to heaven and they all want to go.

They haven’t found out that eternal life is a free Gift to us who have accepted the sacrificial death, burial and resurrection of our Lord and Savior. So many fight against this wonderful gift. They want to roll up their sleeves to help God seal the deal, as if they really could. I know Catholics, Protestants, Mormons, and Jehovah’s witnesses who all share this attempt.

Great response, made me lol with it’s simple powerfulness.

I like coffee too much to become a Mormon.

Do they not drink coffee???!!!

Nope. No caffeine.

Again, I have no desire to become a Mormon. I just like this one aspect of their Church’s leadership.

Mormonism places great emphasis on family life. This is probably their greatest strength.

Family Home Evening is genius as a concept that reinforces the primacy of family.

From how they organize and manage their ‘wards’ they show a lot to be desired. Maybe some people feel pressured into their volunteer role, but they do get the work done. I find Catholics more supportive of non-members but I also think their unity among members is something worth emulating. Though a bit clonish, they have clear standards of behavior and conduct that members follow.

Or they don’t follow, and leave their church and wonderful community behind – because former members are absolutely not wanted.

Or they can’t stand the choice of leaving their community OR staying and following rules they don’t believe in – and they go mad or kill themselves. Seen it. :cry:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.