As A Modern Society, Have We Ever Considered Slowing Down Alittle and Being More Patient

Trying to get things done quickly is not original to Amazon but they are the race horse leading the pack and driving everybody else to scramble to keep up. Will there ever be a point where we say, “this is as fast as we can go”. What is this fascination with doing things the fastest. People have become spoiled with having things done for them instantaneously. Whatever happened to patience? Whatever happened to a thorough and quality job well done?

What I take from this article are companies (working indirectly for Amazon) are trying to keep up with delivering Amazon packages on time and they are cutting corners to do so namely by rushing and not driving carefully. Does someone have to die because Uncle Joe wants his state of the art convection oven delivered and received NOW along with the 20,000 other customers who ordered the same oven on Prime Day? Such a sad state our society has become.

On the bright side, it takes longer to order a gourmet burger at McDonalds because they make the whole thing fresh off the cooker (that’s if you like McDonalds). Finally, someone saying lets slow it down a bit. We need way more companies doing that.

Maybe it is just the environment I was raised in, but many of the things people attribute to Amazon - bad work/life balance, excessive emphasis on timely service - seem endemic to American culture. Amazon is just applying that culture to the Internet and shopping. I actually found it rather remarkable when, at both Microsoft and Google, we were encouraged to have a good work/life balance.

Time is money, and we love money.

Ultimately, we’re going to need a bit of a paradigm shift in the U.S. Some places (e.g. Silicon Valley) require it more than others (e.g. southern Florida), but our culture is and has been very work-focused and convenience-focused. And some of that is good (e.g. I don’t need full service at every meal), but it can go too far.

Here’s a non-commerce example.

When was the last time you heard of anybody convalescing from an illness? To be fair, with better medications and surgical techniques we legitimately have shorter recovery times than previously, but we also tend to push ourselves too soon and wonder why we’re run down.

And the concept of mourning is straight out the window. They’ll give you until Monday after the funeral and then you can be off your game a little on that day, but by Tuesday you better be back to normal.

1 Like

As Jesus says in the Bible, “You can’t serve both G-d and manna”. Have you ever thought that because of this fascination for quick satisfaction, we are creating more social problems than solving them? The only reason we want this done so quickly is because you can make more money. If I can wash 20 cars per hour with the same amount of hired people vs 10 cars per hour, boy, think of the amount of cash I be making. To get those 20 cars done, you have to speed up your workers or cut corners. So as a boss, you wear down your workers to make more money for yourself. Yes, its healthy to work a good days work but its unhealthy to be overworked like some pack mule so the boss can have more money. Please don’t think I’m saying this to you to challenge what your saying about money. I’m just trying to help people understand that there are a lot of people being used like pack mule and its not right.

1 Like

Exactly, you hit the nail on the head. We need to connect with one another as people and know that we are humans and not beasts of burden. Each of us has hopes and feelings for family and friends and for our society. Thank you for being an understanding person. God bless.

1 Like

Just to clarify, I’m not defending Amazon. I just find them a symptom of our culture, not the drivers of it. It’s that culture that both informs Amazon’s ideology but also drives the consumers that enable them. They’re just among the largest, most profitable examples, so they both offer more stuff to write about but also are a more enticing target.

Edit: And to further clarify, I think Amazon has a place. There are many benefits to having online shopping. We just give them a larger place than they probably should have.

I think your right, Amazon is just filling in the hole that society is demanding be filled. In filling that hole though, we need guidelines on how far these companies, corporations, organizations can go in pushing their workers to get them more income coming in. Most companies hire part timers so they can avoid giving out benefits or they hire the least amount of people to get the job done and then overburden their workers to accomplish work orders. Again, I see where society may be the problem again. Some workers (not by far all though) just want to make lots of money. They ask for more and more work so they can make more money but a lot of times (again) these people skirt corners to get things done quicker. In turn, you have management looking down on people who might be more cautious in their work approach and trying to do a more quality job instead of more quantity. Hence, causing those people who are trying to do a quality job to try to speed up so they can look more like the quicker people. In the process quality goes down for more quantity because they are not use to working at that pace. In the instance of Amazon drivers, poorer driving habits just to get their job done and get paid. (Sorry my thoughts are a little choppy, sometimes I forget the way I want my point to come across; I hope you can follow.)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.