As Fortnight for Freedom concludes, Cardinal Wuerl decries threats to Church's freedom, defends college chaplain [CWN]

Evoking the persecution of Catholics in colonial Maryland, Cardinal Donald Wuerl concluded the US bishops’ second Fortnight for Freedom by decrying threats to the Church’s liberty and …

More…

My family and I were at the first Fortnight for Freedom at the National Shrine basilica in Washington, D.C. The Pope’s nuncio (for B16 at the time) told us that the Pope was on our side. I like Cardinal Wuerl. I like how he expresses the gospel in a gentle and soft-spoken voice yet is firm and clear, articulating the message of God’s love and mercy without compromising the truth. My family and I almost had a chance to get a picture with him one of the times when we were at the National Shrine and he had been the celebrant. He was downstairs outside of the gift shop taking pictures with people, and we got downstairs where he was just before he was going to leave. We didn’t expect to see him, and I didn’t have my camera out and ready. It’s kind of funny how we orthodox Catholics have our own celebrities. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.