As long As I`m right with god?

I’m sure we have all heard people say this as long as I`m right with god and I don’t kill steal etc I’ll go to heaven. Can anyone point me to some resources that refute this new age deception?

If anyone makes such a claim it is up to them to support such a claim by providing resources which we can then discuss. It is not up to us to refute baseless claims.

I guess in the strictest sense, that could be true, if by “right with God” they mean “in a state of grace.” One is “right with God” after they have received baptism or the sacrament of reconciliation and if a person dies in that state, they would indeed go to heaven. It is only when we commit mortal sin that we separate ourselves from God and risk eternal damnation.

Each person is judged by their own conscience. A good conscience, and repentance from any sins one has committed, is how a person becomes right with God.

Cardinal Ratzinger: “Conscience is not an independent and infallible faculty. It is an act of moral judgment regarding a responsible choice. A right conscience is one duly illumined by faith and by the objective moral law and it presupposes, as well, the uprightness of the will in the pursuit of the true good.” [CDF, Instruction on the Ecclesial Vocation of the Theologian, n. 38.]

Pope John Paul II: “First of all, an indispensable condition is the rectitude and clarity of the penitent’s conscience. People cannot come to true and genuine repentance until they realize that sin is contrary to the ethical norm written in their innermost being; until they admit that they have had a personal and responsible experience of this contrast; until they say not only that ‘sin exists’ but also ‘I have sinned’; until they admit that sin has introduced a division into their consciences which then pervades their whole being and separates them from God and from their brothers and sisters. The sacramental sign of this clarity of conscience is the act traditionally called the examination of conscience, an act that must never be one of anxious psychological introspection, but a sincere and calm comparison with the interior moral law, with the evangelical norms proposed by the Church, with Jesus Christ himself, who is our teacher and model of life, and with the heavenly Father, who calls us to goodness and perfection.” [Reconciliation and Penance, n. 31, III.]

Second Vatican Council: "In the depths of his conscience, man detects a law which he does not impose upon himself, but which holds him to obedience. Always summoning him to love good and avoid evil, the voice of conscience when necessary speaks to his heart: do this, shun that. For man has in his heart a law written by God; to obey it is the very dignity of man; according to it he will be judged…

“Conscience frequently errs from invincible ignorance without losing its dignity. The same cannot be said for a man who cares but little for truth and goodness, or for a conscience which by degrees grows practically sightless as a result of habitual sin.” [Gaudium et Spes, n. 16.]

Jesus is the ONLY way to God the Father, He
said: “No one comes to the Father EXCEPT
thru Me” John 14:6 and St. Paul says in
Ephesians 2:8-9 “It is by Grace that we have
been saved thru Faith, AND THIS IS NOT
from yourselves, it is a gift from God, NOT
BY WORKS, lest anyone should boast”
So we see that Salvation is a GIFT from
God, just as Life is a gift, based on the
efficacious offering of Christ on the Cross
for our sins, it cannot be earned by living
“right with God”!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Second Vatican Council: “Those also can attain to salvation who through no fault of their own do not know the Gospel of Christ or His Church, yet sincerely seek God and moved by grace strive by their deeds to do His will as it is known to them through the dictates of conscience. Nor does Divine Providence deny the helps necessary for salvation to those who, without blame on their part, have not yet arrived at an explicit knowledge of God and with His grace strive to live a good life.” [Lumen Gentium, n. 16.]

Pope Saint John Paul II: “The universality of salvation means that it is granted not only to those who explicitly believe in Christ and have entered the Church. Since salvation is offered to all, it must be made concretely available to all.” [Redemptoris Missio, n. 10.]

Pope Pius IX: “There are, of course, those who are struggling with invincible ignorance about our most holy religion. Sincerely observing the natural law and its precepts inscribed by God on all hearts and ready to obey God, they live honest lives and are able to attain eternal life by the efficacious virtue of divine light and grace. Because God knows, searches and clearly understands the minds, hearts, thoughts, and nature of all, his supreme kindness and clemency do not permit anyone at all who is not guilty of deliberate sin to suffer eternal punishments.” [Quanto Conficiamur Moerore, n. 7]

Well, the Gospel of Matthew comes to mind.

Essentially what they are saying is that “as long as I’m a good person I’ll go to heaven.” The problem with this statement is that it’s entirely subjective. First, they have made the rules regarding what it means to be a good person and of course only included things that they personally don’t do. But really what they have defined is only a good person in relation to other people and by their own standards regarding certain things, but not necessarily in relationship to God.

The problem is we are not our own judge. God is our judge and he will judge by the ten commandments and the corporeal works of mercy and our hearts. He judges by His standards, not by the ones we pick and choose.

Ask that person that thinks they are good if they actually worship God, don’t take his name in vain, and keep holy the Lord’s day? Do they feed the hungry, clothe the naked, etc…They usually don’t mention those things when determining that they are a “good” person in their own eyes. The question is are they a “good” person in the eyes of God?

Glad to help Cali,

The confusion comes because we must consider “right” according to whose standard? If we look at our self according to man, then we might look pretty good. Why wouldn’t God accept me? But we never judge our self according to God’s standard of right. God is way different than us. His standard is Jesus. It cannot be less, because of His holyness. So even the best of us falls far short. SO HERE WE HAVE A HUGE PROBLEM, that we can’t solve. But God has the answer. Jesus is the answer. To the one who admits his lost state and accepts the sacrifice and work of Jesus and puts all his trust in Jesus and not in his own righteousness, then God gives to him the FREE GIFT of perfect righteousness.

This is the best deal going in the universe. Have a great day!:slight_smile:

Seem’s that so many people think that as long as they have never killed anyone they are “right” with God. I hear that a lot “No, I do not go to Church (and they engage in pre maritial relations and drunkenness and who knows what else) but I am a good person. I think I am going to heaven. I have never killed anyone”

The concept of being “right with God” isn’t New Age by any stretch. As a Protestant preachers daughter, I heard the phrase from my crib, which was a verrrrry long time ago, lol. The concept, by definition, is pretty basic and just means that the person has repented of their sins and is doing the best they can to follow God’s will. In that very basic sense, a Catholic who has been to confession would be “right with God.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.