As Supporters Jump Ship, Heartland Institute Stands By Its Widely Condemned Anti-Science Hate Speech

thinkprogress.org/climate/2012/05/06/478862/as-supporters-jump-ship-heartland-institute-stands-by-its-widely-condemned-anti-science-hate-speech/

Links to Guardian : guardian.co.uk/business/2012/may/06/diageo-end-funding-heartland-institute?CMP=twt_gu

The right-wing Heartland Institute launched an “experiment” Friday, comparing believers in climate change to infamous figures such as Ted Kaczynski (the Unabomber), Charles Manson, and Osama bin Laden. After 24 hours, the group pulled down its Chicago billboard but made no attempt to apologize for or retract its stunt.

Even worse, the image of the billboard is still on their website along with some of the most extremist hate-speech ever seen from a global warming denial group — including this absurd assertion, “the most prominent advocates of global warming aren’t scientists. They are murderers, tyrants, and madmen.”

Now, Heartland is seeing the fall-out: After the latest outcry, the leading drink company Diageo, which owns brands like Smirnoff, Guinness, and Johnnie Walker, told The Guardian it will end its ties to Heartland:

DIAGEO SPOKESPERSON: “Diageo vigorously opposes climate scepticism and our actions are proof of this. Diageo’s only association with the Heartland Institute was limited to a small contribution made two years ago specifically related to an excise tax issue. Diageo has no plans to work with the Heartland Institute in the future.“

A few months ago, ThinkProgress reported on Heartland’s corporate-funded plan to teach climate denialism in schools. At the time, Diageo said it “vigorously” opposed climate skepticism and it would “be reviewing any further association with this organization.” Diageo contributed $10,000 to Heartland in 2010. Diageo joins corporations including General Motors and AT&T that have recently ended its funding to Heartland’s radical agenda.

UPDATE: ClimateWire (subs. req’d) reports this morning:

The Heartland Institute’s failed billboard campaign attacking the existence of climate change is driving a surge of corporate donors to abandon the group and prompting a mutiny among its Washington-based staff, which is decamping for less volatile surroundings, according to sources.
At the center of the retreat is a contingent of insurance companies and trade groups that donated more than $1 million over the last two years to the libertarian group’s Center on Finance, Insurance and Real Estate in Washington, D.C., for programs related to federal insurance reform….
“It was disgusting. It was revolting,” Brad Kading, president of the Association of Bermuda Insurers and Reinsurers, said of the ad in an interview over the weekend. “It was a terrible mistake.”

So is Heartland Institute a “right wing group” or a “libertarian” group. I guess the author lumps all those “not like us” groups together.

Don"t you just love the headlines from Thinkprogress? “Widely condemned anti-science hate speech”?:rotfl::rotfl:

What’s surprising is that a corporate-funded disinformation organization like Heartland would make such a bonehead mistake. Think of all those ExxonMobil dollars wasted on backfiring propaganda. Think of the climate-change deniers going to bed without a new SUV. It’s enough to make you get all choked up (from emotion I mean, not pollution).

Show the documentation that ExxonMobil funds the Heartland Institute. Show it.

:mad:

You are so bogus.

Why should I? You’ve already made up your mind that I’m “bogus”. Will it change your mind when I prove it? Or will you just move on and continue believing Heartland/Big Oil pro-pollution propaganda?

Translation: I cant

keep dreaming

Sure, prove it. I want to see actual documentation, though. Not junk from Huffpo and other left-wing propaganda mills.

Hmmmm. Can’t view the billboard anymore.

Can’t determine whether it was “anti-science” or “hate speech”, either one.

But I sure do see hate in calling people who don’t buy into MMGW “deniers”, and talking about opposing views as “denialism”. Clever of the haters who want so badly for MMGW to be a reality that they can’t even discuss opposing views without comparing the unconvinced with “holocaust deniers”, and their views as if it was a cult.

But that’s the hard left. If they didn’t have hate, they would be emotionless entirely.

It’s a matter of public record. Also I already posted this on the climate change denial (wind farm) thread, post #74

The Atlas Foundation, created by the late Sir Anthony Fisher (founder of the Institute of Economic Affairs), received more than $100,000 in 2008 from ExxonMobil, according to the oil company’s reports.

Atlas has supported more than 30 other foreign think-tanks that espouse climate change scepticism, and co-sponsored a meeting of the world’s leading climate sceptics in New York last March. Called “Global Warming: Was It Ever Really a Crisis?”, it was organised by the Heartland Institute – a group that described the event as “the world’s largest-ever gathering of global warming sceptics”. The organisation is another right-wing think-tank to have benefited from funding given by ExxonMobil in recent years.

By the way, Heartland admits on its own website it got money from Exxon up to 2006. After this, it looks like they started getting money from Atlas, which gets its money from Exxon, as you can see in the article.

So, now what, RJ? Still bogus?

I, for one, would form an unbiased opinion based on whatever information you could produce.

Your sources is The Independent? That’s it? No, I won’t accept anything that uses the term “climate deniers.” Again, who denies the climate? It exists. What a stupid term that is.

Try again.

p.s. The guy in that photo reminds me of the Jethro Tull song, “Aqualung.” LOL

I think that one could safely conclude that you were correct in your assertion that Heartland did accept money from ExxonMobile. However, I think your tone may prevent people from actually agreeing with you more than any prejudice. Please consider using a gentler, less sarcastic one in the future. I also am inclined to believe that news source named The Independent may be biased in the matter. If possible, could you provide an article showing the other side’s point of view as well? Thank you.

LOL back atcha. Some people simply will not believe objective facts that contradict what they want to believe. Hello? Heartland admits that they got money directly from Exxon up to 2006. After that they stopped listing their donors, and then they started getting the Atlas group money, which is the middleman for the Big Oil money. Heartland had an ExxonMobil public relation guy on their board! www.heartland.org/reply-to-critics

Walter Buchholtz was a public relations advisor for ExxonMobil during his service on The Heartland Institute’s Board of Directors, and like Marden, he helped persuade his company to contribute to Heartland.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.