Ascension Sunday and Mother's Day Music

Question for musicians and Music Directors: On Ascencion Sunday because it is also Mother's Day this year, do any of you substitute one of the liturgical hymns for one of the Marian hymns? If so, what or where in the liturgy do you do that?

Holy days and Sundays always have priority in the planning of liturgical music. That being said, we music ministers still have an area of leeway. We are planning an acapela Marians hymn for an after Communion reflection (Salve Regina.)
Also, we have revived the custom of May crowning of the BVM. This will occur outside in the Marian Garden after Mass. Then we can sing "On This day, O Beautiful Mother", while all the children bring flowers to Our Blessed Mother, thereby honoring all mothers.:harp::flowers::harp:

[quote="OneHolyCathAp, post:2, topic:326189"]
Holy days and Sundays always have priority in the planning of liturgical music. That being said, we music ministers still have an area of leeway. We are planning an acapela Marians hymn for an after Communion reflection (Salve Regina.)
Also, we have revived the custom of May crowning of the BVM. This will occur outside in the Marian Garden after Mass. Then we can sing "On This day, O Beautiful Mother", while all the children bring flowers to Our Blessed Mother, thereby honoring all mothers.:harp::flowers::harp:

[/quote]

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL YOU MOMS OUT THERE!:wave::extrahappy: Also today is "Happy Twilight Zone Day"http://msnvideo.msn.com/?channelindex=8&from=en-us_msnhpvidmod#/video/f1118a88-2bb3-4ba5-901e-8a2975678f42

cough*AscensionwasThursday*cough

Sorry, can't resist. :-)

FWIW, I have planned a Marian hymn at the offertory for the choir I direct.

My parish celebrated Ascension ON Ascension; thus I do not know the answer to this question regardless of the fact that I am in the choir.

In the dioceses of the US northeast, the solemnity of the Ascension was celebrated on last Thursday and was a holy day of obligation.

[quote="aemcpa, post:4, topic:326189"]
cough*AscensionwasThursday*cough

Sorry, can't resist. :-)

FWIW, I have planned a Marian hymn at the offertory for the choir I direct.

[/quote]

am glad you did because I was looking and looking at the date and confused enough because mothers day was back in march for us which fell on st patricks day this year and Ascension isn't today anyway but 7th Sunday after Easter in the Anglican world and Ascension was on Thursday even for us so was getting very confused so am glad you wasn't able to resist :D

[quote="englishredrose, post:7, topic:326189"]
am glad you did because I was looking and looking at the date and confused enough because mothers day was back in march for us which fell on st patricks day this year and Ascension isn't today anyway but 7th Sunday after Easter in the Anglican world and Ascension was on Thursday even for us so was getting very confused so am glad you wasn't able to resist :D

[/quote]

I think it is up to the Bishop of the particular diocese when the Ascension is observed. I know that in some dioceses Ascension was observed on Thursday and some observe it today.

[quote="LegoGE1947, post:8, topic:326189"]
I think it is up to the Bishop of the particular diocese when the Ascension is observed. I know that in some dioceses Ascension was observed on Thursday and some observe it today.

[/quote]

It is decided collectively by the bishops in each ecclesiastical province (grouping of bishops under one archbishop).

[quote="aemcpa, post:9, topic:326189"]
It is decided collectively by the bishops in each ecclesiastical province (grouping of bishops under one archbishop).

[/quote]

Okay, so since I live in Illinois and our archbishop is Cardinal George, the archbishop of Chicago, it would be the decision of Cardinal George and the bishops of the other 6 dioceses in Illinois? (An example) as to when we in Illinois would observe the Ascension. In other states or areas it would be whatever the archbishop and the bishops under him would decide.

[quote="LegoGE1947, post:10, topic:326189"]
Okay, so since I live in Illinois and our archbishop is Cardinal George, the archbishop of Chicago, it would be the decision of Cardinal George and the bishops of the other 6 dioceses in Illinois? (An example) as to when we in Illinois would observe the Ascention.:confused:

[/quote]

Yes. Likewise, I live in New Jersey, and the Province of Newark is coterminous with the state of New Jersey and contains four dioceses plus the Archdiocese of Newark. So the five bishops of New Jersey collectively decided to continue to observe the Ascension on Thursday as a holy day of obligation.

[quote="aemcpa, post:11, topic:326189"]
Yes. Likewise, I live in New Jersey, and the Province of Newark is coterminous with the state of New Jersey and contains four dioceses plus the Archdiocese of Newark. So the five bishops of New Jersey collectively decided to continue to observe the Ascension on Thursday as a holy day of obligation.

[/quote]

For the record, my pastor vetoed my musical selections for the entrance and recessional hymns, which were related to the Ascension even though the Ascension was celebrated on Thursday here, and replaced them with two Marian hymns. He did this at all six Masses, using the same two hymns at all Masses.

[quote="aemcpa, post:13, topic:326189"]
For the record, my pastor vetoed my musical selections for the entrance and recessional hymns, which were related to the Ascension even though the Ascension was celebrated on Thursday here, and replaced them with two Marian hymns. He did this at all six Masses, using the same two hymns at all Masses.

[/quote]

Yes, that is because your Ascension was celebrated on The Ascension! It does get confusing, And I wish we celebrated Holy Days on the proper church calendar days, as does your diocese in NJ. While you marked the seventh Sunday of Easter, we here in Washington observed the Ascension today. Now we await Pentecost, the Advocate that Jesus promised to send. Come, Holy Ghost!

Be that as it may, wishing all mothers a blessed day today.

[quote="OneHolyCathAp, post:14, topic:326189"]
Yes, that is because your Ascension was celebrated on The Ascension! It does get confusing, And I wish we celebrated Holy Days on the proper church calendar days, as does your diocese in NJ. While you marked the seventh Sunday of Easter, we here in Washington observed the Ascension today. Now we await Pentecost, the Advocate that Jesus promised to send. Come, Holy Ghost!

Be that as it may, wishing all mothers a blessed day today.

[/quote]

Actually, the Mass was in the Extraordinary Form and was therefore for the Sunday within the Octave of the Ascension.

Not exactly sure what is meant by "Mothers' Day" music, all I can think of is Marian hymns. Whatever is meant by "Mother's Day music," we didn't even do Marian hymns. Matter of fact, half the choir was late, and we didn't have a processional hymn.

We sang "Regina Caeli" (sp?) as a prelude before taking our choir places at the Sunday mass.

I went to mass Thursday, but it was not considered Ascension here until Sunday.
I was a little concerned that there was more emphasis on Mothers Day than on the Ascension in the Sunday mass homily and there was no mention at all of the Ascension in the Saturday vigil mass. :confused:
I wish they'd just leave the Ascension as a holy day of obligation during the week. I like mothers day, I'm a single mom and I appreciated the roses given out by my parish to all the moms. Still...:confused:

It is most appropriate for recessional, but also acceptable for offertory, according to our traditions. Marian hymns are always used in May.

[quote="RosalieM, post:17, topic:326189"]
We sang "Regina Caeli" (sp?) as a prelude before taking our choir places at the Sunday mass.

I went to mass Thursday, but it was not considered Ascension here until Sunday.
I was a little concerned that there was more emphasis on Mothers Day than on the Ascension in the Sunday mass homily and there was no mention at all of the Ascension in the Saturday vigil mass. :confused:
I wish they'd just leave the Ascension as a holy day of obligation during the week. I like mothers day, I'm a single mom and I appreciated the roses given out by my parish to all the moms. Still...:confused:

[/quote]

I agree -- I was concerned it might shadow the importance of solemnity of the Ascension (not that it does in our hearts....but still!)....

Ascension weekend was also the weekend we moved back into the worship area after a fourth month renovation -- so we did our Marian hymn on May 5th this year.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.