Ascension

Does the English word “ascension” appear in our translations?

Please forgive such a basic question.

If it does not, and if one might know the explanation, I would love to hear it.

THANKS!!!

First off, which translations do you mean? The Bible? Catholic versions of the Bible?

I am very “cool” to open-ended questions like this, where you (anybody who starts a new thread) don’t explain what the significance of the question is?

I used to have the NAB in a program, where I could do word searches. You might try looking at some online Bibles and doing your own search. (Here, too, may I politely point out that if you really want to know, you should invest some time and effort into your own question).

From memory, I’m going to say the answer is NO.

You’re welcome!!!

Jim,
Great question for Catholic answers. That’s what this forums is for.

Mary.

Thanks to both of you.

I looked in several translation at Blue Letter Bible.

I did not see the English word “ascension.” I was surprised.

The doctrine, I thought, is known as the Ascension.

I was wondering the history of how such an English word came about if it is not in our translation.

There are many, many, things that I do not know. This is such a fundamental one. I could not recall hearing about it.

It is not the same as the word Trinity, which does not appear in our Bible.

I suppose the English is coming from a Latin translation, but I do not have the time even to type this note let alone look up what appears to be a complex question.

THANKS!!!

ascension (n.) “ascent of Christ into Heaven on the 40th day after the Resurrection,” from Latin ascensionem (nominative ascensio) “a rising,” noun of action from past participle stem of ascendere “to mount, ascend, go up” (see ascend).

Mr. OP, let me see if I understand this. You posed the question out of curiosity, alone? or, was there any other significance.

Your expectation is that the word be in scripture? or otherwise, what? you’re surprised that the word is not in scripture?

Regarding the origin of the english word, itself, I think the Oxford English Dictionary is online to give you the history of the word.

From your subsequent post, perhaps you are curious about the translation from the Greek, that gives us the word “ascend”, perhaps?

On this website, under the Catholic Encyclopedia, is an entry for “ascension” as follows

'Ascension
Elevation of Christ into heaven by His own power"

and is linked here oce.catholic.com/index.php?title=Ascension

Hope this helps!!!

Nelka:

Thanks!

Thanks to all!

Next time I will try to be clearer.

THANKS!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.