Asexuality and Vocations

So if someone was asexual (as in experiencing no sexual attraction, but still possibly romantic attraction), could they get married? In this case they have promised to have sex enough to meet the needs of their future spouse. I figure that if the marriage was sexless then the Church would have a problem with it. Like one of the Catholic Answers apologists has said (I think it was Trent Horn), marriage is "a sexual relationship between a man and a women." So without sex it wouldn't fully meat the criteria for marriage. In addition, the Church considers the absence of sex as grounds for an annulment. So if someone was asexual, do you think there is a chance that they could be validly married? Or would it be better if they considered a vocation to the single life? There's also the priesthood, but from my understanding that would be unavailable. I have been told that celibacy is supposed to be a sacrifice of sex. If someone was asexual then there would be no sacrifice, in the sexual sense. Granted, it is likely that they are still sacrificing a romantic relationship, but I heard this would be irrelevant. Is that correct?

Just marry another asexual and it is a win win situation all around!!

It's not like an 'asexual' (I'm getting fed up of these sexual tags) is unable to perform his fiduciary functions...Unless he has a problem like impotence...

[quote="C794, post:1, topic:336245"]
So if someone was asexual (as in experiencing no sexual attraction, but still possibly romantic attraction), could they get married? In this case they have promised to have sex enough to meet the needs of their future spouse. I figure that if the marriage was sexless then the Church would have a problem with it. Like one of the Catholic Answers apologists has said (I think it was Trent Horn), marriage is "a sexual relationship between a man and a women." So without sex it wouldn't fully meat the criteria for marriage. In addition, the Church considers the absence of sex as grounds for an annulment. So if someone was asexual, do you think there is a chance that they could be validly married? Or would it be better if they considered a vocation to the single life? There's also the priesthood, but from my understanding that would be unavailable. I have been told that celibacy is supposed to be a sacrifice of sex. If someone was asexual then there would be no sacrifice, in the sexual sense. Granted, it is likely that they are still sacrificing a romantic relationship, but I heard this would be irrelevant. Is that correct?

[/quote]

Yes an asexual can marry, just like a homosexual or heterosexual can marry, as long as it is with the opposite sex, he/she does it of their own accord (they aren't being forced), and they intend to get married. The Church doesn't frown upon a sexless marriage. A marriage is still valid if their is no sex. Consummating the marriage just makes it indissoluble. If the Church had an issue with a sexless marriage, then they'd take issue with Mary and Joseph's marriage, as we believe them to have not had sex. The Church actually calls celibate marriages "Josephite Marriages".

There is also the possibility of having the vocation of a chaste single life, and there is nothing wrong with that. They could also take a vow of celibacy, though it would be easier for them than most.

I could be wrong, but I believe that an ordained vocation is out of the question, since they need to be male in every sense of the word, just as Jesus was, which would include being attracted to females. The difference is that Jesus is God, so he was not able to fall to temptation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.