Asexuality

What does the Church think about asexuality? Does it exist, why or why not? Can it be used to describe those who do not have a sex drive, or formally did have one?

This was a random question I had, after watching about hermaphroditism, lol.

Well, this is simply me shooting from the hip but, I would think that the church doesn’t mind such a thing. I mean, If you were requiting a sect of the population to remain celibate (priesthood) you think that it would be a good think it would be a very usefull thing (we’ve seen what happens when they do).
The Bible encourages it. Pauls says that he wishes that all were like him but, that it would be better to marry than to burn from lust (I can’t remeber the exact verse) so one would assume that scince Paul was still single he didn’t have a problem with lust which could (though not for certain) mean that he just wasn’t interested in such things.
Like I said, I don’t think that the church has a perticular stance one way or another (except for the preisthood) but, then agian I have been known to be wrong from time to time so if I am, I am sure that someone will correct me.

I have no idea whether or not the Church has ever said anything about asexuality. Based on my understanding of sexuality, of creation, on reading JPII’s Love and Responsibility, and a small understanding of the Theology of the Body, I would hazard a guess that for a person to be asexual is an anomaly - something is wrong with that person, either something lacking, or the experiences they had while developing to adulthood injured their sexuality.

We were all designed to be either male or female, and we were designed to be attracted to the opposite sex. We were also designed to desire to have a spouse and children. Therefore, IMHO, to be asexual is not in conformance with the design, and, so, injured in some way.

I kind of have somthing inbetween going on, I can lust and unfortunatly am tempted to do so (seemingly only at movies or tv or other “non-real” persons), but it is not a huge factor in my life and in day to day life, i mean i deal with nudity or very near nudity (both sexes) at my job a lot (athletic training assistant) and it does not affect me in any way. Plus I dont feel any romantic attraction to any of the women in my life, though i love them deeply.

Amoung many many many other things, this is one factor that made me think I should become a priest. Which im trying to start.

Don’t consider the priesthood because you are not romantically attracted to women now. The only reason to consider the priesthood is because Jesus himself is callng you to act “in persona Christi.”

For those who are sexually attracted to women, as most men are, giving up the potential for a family for the sake of the kingdom of heaven is a massive sacrifice, it is in part sacrificing what you can for God’s kingdom as he calls us to do.

I am not saying you should not consider the priesthood, but don’t consider it just because you arn’t romantically interested in girls, consider it because that is where He is calling you.

Edit: Sorry I misread your post Bryan, I apologize.

yeah its okay, the low sex drive thing actually developed later on. I think God granted it so to remove a barrier in my discernment. The real reason im applying for formation is because for at least 3 years i havent been able to see myself doing anything else with my life, even when i try to imagine other possibilities. Also i keep finding myself promising to do things, and i dont intend to say such things, but i promise them despite myself (and they are priestly things)

[quote=Joan M]I have no idea whether or not the Church has ever said anything about asexuality. Based on my understanding of sexuality, of creation, on reading JPII’s Love and Responsibility, and a small understanding of the Theology of the Body, I would hazard a guess that for a person to be asexual is an anomaly - something is wrong with that person, either something lacking, or the experiences they had while developing to adulthood injured their sexuality.

We were all designed to be either male or female, and we were designed to be attracted to the opposite sex. We were also designed to desire to have a spouse and children. Therefore, IMHO, to be asexual is not in conformance with the design, and, so, injured in some way.
[/quote]

That’s what I’ve been thinking as well. However, the flaw is whether the “asexuality” as a celibate state can be justified. What I mean is, what would happen when a person as such would take on a religious vocation? Then, the conflict would be between whether the person should be rejected because asuality MAY be a malfunction in the brain, or accept the person because the fact of his or her celibate state…

It is indeed interesting! (Just learned that hermaphroditism is more common than the average person thinks).

I’m sure that there were some asexual Catholic saints out of the pot of Christianity, although the person may have not realised it.

[quote=Brain]yeah its okay, the low sex drive thing actually developed later on. I think God granted it so to remove a barrier in my discernment.
[/quote]

There can be all kinds of reasons for low sex drive, Brain. It is probably a good idea to have your doctor rule out any pathologies just to make sure that you are in good health. This is not to say that not wanting sex is necessarily a sickness. It is just to say that it might – *might *-- be a symptom of a sickness sometimes, which I feel you would not want. Right? Maybe you need iron pills or something.

This may help you:

Matthew 19:12

Some are incapable of marriage because they were born so; some, because they were made so by others; some, because they have renounced marriage for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Whoever can accept this ought to accept it."

Thank you for your posts. I was just wondering, because I believe myself to be an asexual, although I wonder if it is a disorder of some sort or what not.

Nevertheless, I am quite happy in the way I am, and before I go into pride, I wanted to know the Catholic position, since there barely has been any research into it in the first place.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.