Ashamed of the Arch Bishop of New york

The protestant ministers use the name of Jesus and don’t hesitate. And Paula White even invoked the Father, Son and Spirit.

And the Archbishop of New York crosses himself silently, says a OT prayer and then says “Amen”

If I didn’t see the uniform, I wouldn’t know if I was listening to a Christian man or a unitarian. :mad:

IMO we will answer for political correctness at the judgment.

Matthew 10:33English Standard Version (ESV)

33 but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.

He read from scripture. That’s not good enough? Really?

Seriously.

I thought Cardinal Dolan’s address was the most appropriate of the three. But then, I don’t believe that the U.S. is God’s gift to the world, or that God wants the U.S. to lead the way, or that God even particularly cares about American politics.

Also, Paula White said, “In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.” She didn’t say “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit,” which is how we Catholics would say it.

Ashamed?
Over-reacting a tad, don’t you think?

Come on now. Ashamed?

Did he say something insulting, or incorrect, embarrassing or inappropriate?

No, he said nothing you should be ashamed of, so let’s not overreact.

He’s a lot holier than I am, so I’d better get cracking.

What did you expect him to do?

Cardinal Dolan’s invocation was a paraphase of the prayer of Solomon in the Old Testament asking God for wisdom to govern the people “in holiness and righeousness…” and in my opinion is most appropriate for the inauguration of our new President. What an uncharitable post to criticize Cardinal Dolan over this beautiful invocation.

Wisdom, chapter 9 usccb website

**Cardinal Dolan’s invocation prayer:
God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you who have made all things
And in your providence have charged us
to rule the creatures produced by you,
To govern the world in holiness and righteousness,
and to render judgment with integrity of heart:
Give us Wisdom, for we are your servants,
weak and short-lived and lacking
in comprehension of judgment and of laws.
Indeed, though one be perfect among mortals,
if Wisdom, which comes from you, be lacking,
we count for nothing.
Now with you is Wisdom, who knows your will
and was there when you made the world;
Who understands what is pleasing in your eyes
and what is conformable with your commands.
Send her forth from your holy heavens
from your glorious throne dispatch her
That she may be with us and work with us,
that we may grasp what is pleasing to you.
For she knows and understands all things,
and will guide us prudently in our affairs
and safeguard us by her glory. Amen.

I can understand where you’re coming from. But an “Old Testament” prayer is NOT really politically correct, not to a Hindu, for example, and certainly not to an atheist. Besides, I thought the OT is part of the Christian (including Catholic) Bible.

Yes … and one wonders why ???

Seems to be something more than what actually occurred today in this thread …

Or the OP was distracted and did not understand what was requested of the Bishop … and what he read :confused:

I’m ashamed of the scriptural illiteracy displayed by the OP. :slight_smile:

Wisdom is in Catholic Bibles
It’s not in the Jewish or Prorestant Bibles

I can see the OP’s point. I thought it was strange when I heard it as well. It sounded like he was being overly sensitive and ecumenical, not wanting to offend people who may not believe in Jesus or the trinity.

Remember that we had a Pope, now a saint, who made the same type of overly ecumenical mistake by allowing pagans into the sanctuary, and we now have bishops, clergy, and apologists who admit that was a mistake. If the Pope could make that mistake and still be a saint, certainly a Cardinal can make an overly ecumenical mistake as well.

Pope Benedict has also warned that “dialogue” and ecumenism cannot replace missions and the call to conversion. This same Pope has also said that the Church downplaying hell and eternal punishment has hurt the Church.

I’m not saying Cardinal Dolan was being sinful or wicked, but certainly he was being more ecumenical than anyone else there-- and Pope Benedict has warned against such ecumenism that downplays the need to convert into the Church.

It is not a mistake to pray for wisdom for our President to govern our country.

Dolan was more appropriate drawing from a time and a biblical theme of God guiding leaders of nations or kingdoms. While personal feeling about the cardinal can vary, I was hardly ashamed. He had a prominent role through the entire day.
I though he did fine. Was it the best prayer of the day? Probably not. But what do you expect! He is Catholic! We are not exactly known for our spontaneous prayers!:wink:

reported.

The message that came across is that it is not ok to mention Jesus in public. From a leadership standpoint, if the unofficial head of the US Catholics won’t mention Jesus, what he is demonstrating is that it is ok for Catholics to not mention him in public. I’m not sure that is what we need modeled at this point.

It is interesting those Catholics are so quick to criticize were the ones to lift up Jesus’ name. It’s almost like a Biblical parable where Jesus points out those outside the faith are living more closely to the principles of righteousness than those inside the power structure…

His Eminence, the Cardinal Archbishop’s text was most beautifully chosen.

What I find a shame is such people as present themselves as Catholic while thinking they may arrogate to themselves to critique a Cardinal of the Church.

Ours is a hierarchical Church.

Although the Cardinal may not have audibly invoked the name of Jesus, he did make the sign of the cross as he began to read the prayer.

Nice words and prayer.

If they are the words of a unitarian then they are of a very ultra-traditionalist unitarian (oxymoron?).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.