Ask a Muslim

Hey… im new hear so i figured id make this topic where u guys can ask me about Islam and clear up your misconceptions which are plenty as Ive glaced around this site I saw some very wrong facts about Islam.

Plz be respectfull and do not insult im sure Jesus Christ peace be upon him wouldnt like you to insult anyone.
So ill only answer sincere questions about the religion. No politics.

Arab,

Welcome to the forums, your professional demeanor is appreciated. look forward to your discussions.

Peace of the Lord be with you

thanks I appreciate it. For those who dont know the purpose of this is to promote understanding between both religions.

good morning,

i want to only make a comment that i like the head coverings muslim women wear. and i love the traditional dress they wear as well.

why? well, iam a traditonal Catholic. in our church, women wear head coverings. and in daily life, they wear long dresses
or skirts. i must commend the muslim women for wearing traditional clothing.

now my question for you is, muslim women pray correct?
do they pray at home? they don’t pray in the mosques correct?
and they also do not go to the daily prayers at the mosque do they?

Thank you for your generous efforts to educate us. Only positive things can come from such dialouge. I have four questions.

1. What is the origin of Wahhabism? Is it a movement within the Sunni community or something seprate altogether? How does it differ from mainstream Sunni theology?

2. I understand that the overall relations between Christians and Muslims in Lebanon are quite good indeed. What can be done in the rest of the world to bring us closer together?

3. I understand that Muslims regard the Koran as a physical expression of God. It has been explained to me that the Koran is regarded by Muslims in almost the same way as Catholics regard the Eucharist. Is this correct?

4. What is the general opinion in your circles regarding Pope Benedict XVI? I know he ruffled lots of feathers with his comments in Germany. Were those feathers smoothed by his visit to Turkey?

Thank you again.

It is the general impression here that in predominatly muslim countries, life is awful for non-muslims. Whether Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Egypt, Turkey, Pakistan, Iran, Indonesia and so on, we get the impression that Christians can be imprisoned for sharing their faith, any converting from Islam to Christianity also seem to have a well-founded fear for their very lives.

Is this a required part of Islam’s Sharia or is this a cultural aspect apart from Islam?

I am sorry if this sounds offensive, but it DOES seem like Islam inevitably leads to harsh Sharia whenever it becomes the majority faith. Please help me to see it if I am wrong in this.

I’m always amazed at how our current society has become so conditioned toward fear of offending Muslims. What you just said is true, and the evidence of it is all around the world. Even if a Muslim decides to deny it (sadly, not uncommon it seems) that still won’t change the fact. There’s no need to apologize for stating the obvious.

To Arab:

Thank you for joining us and offering to answer any questions
about Islam. I have two:

Who interprets the meaning of the Quran when there is a
disagreement? In other words, who/what is the accepted
authority on religious interpretation of the Quran?

Is it true that a Muslim can/should be executed for
renouncing Islam or converting to another religion?

now my question for you is, muslim women pray correct?
do they pray at home? they don’t pray in the mosques correct?
and they also do not go to the daily prayers at the mosque do they?

Muslim woman can pray in the mosque. But since they have many duties to do it could be hard on them going to pray then coming back then going to pray again so God has made it easier for them that if they pray at home they get a greater reward then in the mosque, unlike the man who has to pray in the mosque.

1. What is the origin of Wahhabism? Is it a movement within the Sunni community or something seprate altogether? How does it differ from mainstream Sunni theology?

It is a sect preached by Sheikh Mohammed Abdulwahab in Saudia Arabia I think it was in the 1800s to unite Arabia under Islam again and so on since at that time ppl went far away from the religion.

1. I understand that the overall relations between Christians and Muslims in Lebanon are quite good indeed. What can be done in the rest of the world to bring us closer together?

For starters Muslims have to understand that Christians are respected in Islam and they are people of the book and must be treated with respect. Also, Christians must stop viewing us as anti Christs (we believe in Jesus and that he was the Christ)! Im not saying all Christians believe this of course just several. We must also incourage dialogue I guess.We must also stop lying. I mean in this site itself in the main page I think it was I read an article that Muslims must kill all Christians and Jews in their religion and they dont even worship God they worship a moon god. This is wrong. We shouldnt do that because it only leads to more hate!

1. I understand that Muslims regard the Koran as a physical expression of God. It has been explained to me that the Koran is regarded by Muslims in almost the same way as Catholics regard the Eucharist. Is this correct?

I dont know what the eucharist is but the Quran is the book the Muslims follow just like the Christian bible. Muslims consider the Quran Gods word,literally, meaning that it was authored by God not by Mohammed peace be upon him. The Quran was a verbal revelation, words were put into Mohammeds mouth Mohammed didnt know how to read and or write. Muslims consider the Quran the final revelation from God to unite Jews Christians and humanity under this book. Muslims consider Islam a continuation of Judaism and Christianity and a completion of it. Meaning that God sent Mohammed as His messenger to guide those who have lead astray and explain to those who had doubts about their religion and so on.

As for pope benedict im afraid thats politics and I dont know if it would make a difference if we disscuss this and I also cant speak on behalf of 1.5 billion Muslims.

Is this a required part of Islam’s Sharia or is this a cultural aspect apart from Islam?

I am sorry if this sounds offensive, but it DOES seem like Islam inevitably leads to harsh Sharia whenever it becomes the majority faith. Please help me to see it if I am wrong in this.

Non Muslims have the right under Islamic sharia to live peacefully, practise their religion and even get protection from the Muslim government. They just arent allowed to preach their religion. This is the law. Why? Because Muslims believe in who Christians believe in, i.e Jesus Christ peace be upon him but Christians dont believe in he who Muslims believe in i.e Mohammed peace be upon him.So leaving Islam is not allowed it is treason.

Who interprets the meaning of the Quran when there is a
disagreement? In other words, who/what is the accepted
authority on religious interpretation of the Quran?

There are different schools of thought with each school a slightly different interpretation of the Quran, a slighty different one. People in Islam have to think for themselves we arent allowed to follow scholars blindly whatever we say. If ppl differ in the interpretation of the Quran well then the Muslims have to read both interpretations and follow the one which makes sence to them.

Christians cannot preach their religion because they don’t believe in Mohammed - that’s really the best reason you could come up with? Well at least you’re more honest about sharia law than most of the Muslims I’ve met… most of them make at least some kind of attempt at covering up the embarrasing doctrines like this one.

Speak in a respectfull way please. :wink:

That is just plain false. Unless you have a very loose definition of “respect”… Tell me for one thing how “respectful” it is when a Christian must be murdered for his beliefs (as per sharia law) if he used to be a Muslim! :mad:

An antichrist is one who denies the incarnation. ALL faithful Muslims fall into this category.

Nice diversion… Do you have any real arguments?

That is just plain false. Unless you have a very loose definition of “respect”… Tell me for one thing how “respectful” it is when a Christian must be murdered for his beliefs (as per sharia law) if he used to be a Muslim!

First of all even though I believe he is to killed for treason not all scholars agree on this for ur information.

An antichrist is one who denies the incarnation. ALL faithful Muslims fall into this category.

We deny the incarnation because we dont believe in the original sin my friend thats why we deny he died for your sins.

exoflare, I put it the way I did because I wanted a sincere answer, not a debate.

arab, I was afraid you were going to say that. So if my nation becomes (hypothetically speaking) dominantly muslim, I can expect that I will be prohibited from doing my duty as Jesus ordered; to spread the gospel of Jesus, the son of God, second person of the Trinity to all the nations. And if I succeed in the duty to which I am commanded by God, and my neighbor Hassan accepts Jesus as his Lord and God, I can expect him to be executed if word gets out?

If this is true and is the command of Islam, then I can’t see how we can live in peace. Peace can only occur when all men (& women) have the right to worship according to the dictates of his own conscience. If my daughter converts to Islam, I will mourn, pray and exhort her to return, but I cannot and will not kill her. Until and unless Islam learns this lesson (which is inherent to Benedicts XVI’s speech), there cannot be peace between us. What you have described is virtually the definition of tyranny. Tyranny is virtually the ONLY thing Christians can and must morally chose war to avoid.

Yeah, that makes it soo much better. :rolleyes:

Grace and Peace Arab,

Could you tell me why Muslims don’t like the teaching of the Trinity?

Thank you.

Peace!

That’s beside the point. You stated that Christians should not consider Muslims antichrists, when in fact they fit that very definition.

I wasn’t aware that Muslims didn’t believe in original sin. What relevance, if any, do Muslims give to the Creation, Fall from Grace, Flood and Exodus stories as told in the Old Testament? I’m not asking here about whether you believe in creationism v. evoloution, rather do you accept those stories as being inspired? And if so, what theological inferences do Muslims draw from them?

If you don’t accept the theory of original sin, how do Muslims account for the existance of evil? I have heard that Muslims believe that all souls (even Satan) will eventually enter Heaven. Is this true? Is this a belief that flows from a lack of belief in original sin?

Finally, I realize that you can’t speak for the entire Muslim world, just as I can’t speak for all Christians, but I would like to know how you personally feel about Pope Benedict’s visit to Turkey and his prayers in a Mosque.

I realize that this is off topic, but I have to respectfully disagree with you here. Jesus never promised us that we would not be subjected to tyranny, and he never gave us licence to kill to avoid it. He himself was tortured and killed under a tyranical government, as were his Apostles. In fact, all Christians suffered under terrible oppression for the first few centuries. Christ never authorized armed rebellion against Rome.

Not only is peace possible between Christians and Muslims, we are commanded to seek it. Whether we get the results we are looking for, or whether we too will suffer, is in God’s hands.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.