Ask Whatever You Will, and It Shall Be Done for You. Really?

I bet I’m not the only one that chafes against this verse. What in the universe does Jesus mean by this because at face value, it’s not a true statement. I want to better understand what he means, so please help.

Even when I’ve asked for things that seem to be very good and right, and should be perfectly pleasing to God as far as I can see, no help comes. Explain this verse please in that context.

Jesus said: “Whoever comes after me must
deny himself, take up his cross AND follow
Me” (Matt. 16:24)We can do three things
when trying to figure out God’s will: die to self
and fast or sacrifice, and/or accept the load of
care given us(pray) but few, very few of us can do
what Jesus REALLY wants of us, to FOLLOW
Him, He chose the way of the Cross BECAUSE
it was what a Merciful, Righteous and Just God
would want, nothing less, so we must choose
to ASK what is “good, pleasing and perfect”- the
will of God!!!(Rom. 12:2)

If that is true, I would prefer He had stipulated that more clearly in his discourse. Perhaps I am being petulant.

I think he meant what many have discovered is a big key to success and happiness:
Think Positive.

Christ is alluding to the spiritual “tools” needed in our religious mission. Ask for the things needed for our mission in this lowly world and God will eventually answer your prayer.

I would reply to that…:)…but my immediate response is not acceptable language in this forum.

Thanks for the thought, though. It’s not that I begrudge your view. But I think the verse must surely mean more than that. You’re a journalist, right. Doesn’t such a view seem a bit vapid?

You may have something, though. It’s not at all unlikely that I’m just a wee bit jaded by my sojourn in these tempestuous oceans of life as we experience it here.

I am sure that part of it hinges on the fact that I, as well as likely a great many, am a pretty- ok, very- impatient person. Maybe God is trying to establish that in me and others before he gives us what we are asking for.

He did not say “immediately” or “quickly” in that verse. :frowning:

**Dear JamalChristophr,

There is a very small book that I read a while back that would explain this fully.** I could try to put it into words but the way it would most touch your heart is if you read it for yourself. it is entitled “[FONT=“Times New Roman”][size=]***Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence.***” I wish more people would read it as it is really very good!

**You could purchase it to keep it with you, or you can read it by finding it online. Here it is in pdf; and one nice feature is that you can enlarge the print ** :thumbsup:
saintsbooks.net/books/Fr…Providence.pdf

**Every question on this subject was answered for me when I read this book!

DesertSister62**
[/size][/FONT]

Sometimes we do not know what we ask. If it is not in God’s immediate plan for you, it doesn’t mean that He won’t answer. I am glad that He didn’t answer some of my requests, because in retrospect I can see that what I received later in life was better then what I requested earlier. We are often tested in our love for God, and trust is one essential way to prove it. If we lose our trust in God because we are not immediately satisfied, who do we love more, ourselves, or God? We all seek immediate solutions especially when we are hurting. But clinging to His words and promises is causing us to reach our greatest need, a need for God Himself. Never give up! Let your feelings and thoughts be exposed to God in prayer, and tell Him you just don’t understand, I think He likes that, because you are expressing your faith in Him, and that has to grow too. As much as I may feel displeased with my situation,or suffering I ask God the strength to say “if it is not possible to escape this problem or suffering, Thy Holy Will Be done” Let Jesus show you the way, you will never regret it!

Thanks Sis, Maybe I shall read it, bit if you can sum it up in 50 words or less, it would be most excellent.

Think of it as a pop quiz!:cool: Maybe the Spirit will remind me to read the book, though. It’s a good idea, I’m sure.

Some of us don’t surrender to Divine Providence as easily as others, but that’s another thread.

This is good. It’s just that sometimes I wish to sue God for breach of contract, and you can be sure I tell him about it! :blush:

Thanks Sis, Maybe I shall read it, bit if you can sum it up in 50 words or less, it would be most excellent.

Think of it as a pop quiz! Maybe the Spirit will remind me to read the book, though. It’s a good idea, I’m sure.

Some of us don’t surrender to Divine Providence as easily as others, but that’s another thread.

**I’m sorry, JamalChristophr, but I suggest that maybe what you had to write above is part of the problem? Our Lord is not a Butler who is expected to acquiesce to our every whim;. . .

Heaven just doesn’t work that way. . :D.**

At least the last thing I asked for from God is far from a whim. And you didn’t have to sum it up, I just thought you might. It was only a gentle request.

Thanks for the advice.

Still, I find this specific verse difficult to find peace with, but I shall pray about it.

Maybe a key point is that Jesus never stipulates when it shall be done for you.

Hi, I posted the following on a similar thread: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=12704595#post12704595

Perhaps there is an assumption behind these verses that the people praying have wills fully conformed to God’s:

The love-story between God and man consists in the very fact that this communion of will increases in a communion of thought and sentiment, and thus our will and God’s will increasingly coincide: God’s will is no longer for me an alien will, something imposed on me from without by the commandments, but it is now my own will, based on the realization that God is in fact more deeply present to me than I am to myself. Then self-abandonment to God increases and God becomes our joy (cf. Ps 73 [72]:23-28). -Pope Benedict XVI, Deus Caritas Est

You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions.

(James 4:2-3 ESV)

And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us.

(1 John 5.14)

and whatever we ask we receive from him, because we keep his commandments and do what pleases him.

1 John 3.22

The end of all things is at hand; therefore be self-controlled and sober-minded for the sake of your prayers.

(1 Peter 4:7 ESV)

Although of course it appears that what you have requested is within God’s will–such as praying that we love God more. In which case, I agree with your assessment that when the prayer will be fulfilled is not always immediately–which gives the impression that the prayer is being rejected or ignored.

Or perhaps that atheist on the thread above is right, and prayer is a useless and self-deceptive enterprise.

Thanks for your reply. I wonder if it can be implicitly understood that God sometimes will give you something superior to what you have asked for although it may not seem that way at the time.

It’s hard to give up the idea that one thinks they know what is best, which probably boils down to being proud and self-willed.

I think you’ve hit upon something in your reference to our union with God’s Will. I wish I was there already. Reading the verse in the greater context of his discourse would be better than my having just pulled it out to be dissected.

P.S. By the way, I love Edith Stein- just wish I could be more like her…and be it immediately! :wink:

The verse is right. What happens is that there is one very important key that Jesus mentions contanstly that you must have for this: have faith! And by faith it means trust, full trust that Jesus has taken things into his hands and be sure that he is doing it. If you pray for X but in the back of your head ( even in your subconscious mind) you are thinking ahhh it may not work then be sure it won’t work because you are lacking faith. If you pray for X but spend the next hour worrying about it you don’t have enough faith and you ate putting a wall between Jesus’ action and you. Many times out own state if mind is what “interferes” with things, and note I am not only referring to your conscious state of mind but your feeling and what is in the back of your head.

If you are praying for something and you seem to be stuck I suggest to take a look at you. How is your faith? Are you doubting God’s action? How ate your feelings and your state of mind? Is there something in you that you may need to fix before getting your prayers answers? It is very difficult for humanbto have real faith because most of the time we cannot break from the worry and anxiety and fully trust but is doable

Another suggestion, my grandmother used to say to God praying and with the hammer hammering. Meaning that you have to ask and pray but you have to do your own work. If you sit and do absolutely nothing hoping for something to fall from the sky miraculously things won’t work. There is a story about. a man in the flood sitting at the roof of his house asking God to save him. Three boats with people passed by and told the man to jump in and he refused because he said he was waiting God to do a miracle and save him. The man dies in the flood and when he sees God he asks why you didn’t save me if I prayed to you. God’s answer was that I sent you three boats with people to help you and you rejected them all three don’t sit around expecting things will happen without you moving a finger. have faith, pray like you mean iit and work for it opening your eyes for any signal and you will see how true the statement is.

I’ll add a couple more comments. Recall Our Lord said, pray like this: “Our Father… Thy will be done…”.

From my own experience, like JC, there have been times I have asked in good faith for what I thought were goodthings, only to be seemingly ignored. But in the fullness of time, I have found that by NOT granting what I asked, I got FAR MORE than I could have hoped for in totally unexpected ways.

God’s ways are not our ways, and He has over and over proven that to me.

Blessings,
Stephie

I find that God gives what you need, not what you want

You can reply to me in PM form, i’m interested to know your response.

Which view do you think is vapid–my perception of Jesus’ words? Or Jesus’s words themself?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.