Asking God Why!?

I find myself extremely frustrated with the way God is working, I’m gahhh, i can’t even imagine. A strong, young, military priest, and all-around cool guy was just ordained a priest here 2 years ago and now at 31 has just died of cancer. I cannot believe that God would allow something like this to happen, we need priests and an energetic young priest is hard to come by, now he’s gone.

This is just a tribute.

corpothanato.com/pages-fr/avis_deces_details.php?idavis=2802&idEntreprise=583

Please pray.

What a sad loss. I will pray.

Why? I dunno. I always say that some people are just too good for this earth. No doubt he had a positive affect on many’s people’s lives and will be very much missed.

Peace,
~donna

God’s wisdom is far greater than ours. He knows what is best for us even if we think something else is. Also, our lives are not our own. As Saint Paul said: What is mine is not mine. God has every authority to call use back to Him. What He has given, He can take away.

Trust in God’s wisdom.

[quote=tenfootpole]I find myself extremely frustrated with the way God is working, I’m gahhh, i can’t even imagine. A strong, young, military priest, and all-around cool guy was just ordained a priest here 2 years ago and now at 31 has just died of cancer. I cannot believe that God would allow something like this to happen, we need priests and an energetic young priest is hard to come by, now he’s gone.

This is just a tribute.

corpothanato.com/pages-fr/avis_deces_details.php?idavis=2802&idEntreprise=583

Please pray.
[/quote]

Many prayers for the family of the priest and for your congregation to cope with this tragic loss. But I hope it comforts you to know Jesus is probably cradeling him in His extroadinary, awesome, loving arms, right now. Why God took him, is unkown. But God’s plan is so much bigger than ours that its going to be hard for us understand it. I praise God that His intellect so much far advanced than ours that we cant even grasp his will because it is so much bigger than we are or ever will be. Just know that God is in control. With Him in power, everything will work out. :smiley: Praise God!!!

It’s just completly absurd, you know we have almost no vocations in the francophone areas of Canada and we get a holy and passionate young man and bam hes gone. How can this possibly make sense.

Can you only imagine what the( Parishioners) disciples of Christ must have felt like when they crucified him after only three years of public preaching. Oh the despair they must have felt, the loss of “The Teacher” of a life time, who would understand this, who’s heart would not be broken. May our Lord who heals all comfort his family and all of you who loved him.

How shall I make a return to the Lord
for all He has done for me?
The cup of salvation I shall take up,
and I will call upon the name of the Lord. Psalm 116

I just got done watching a seven year-old boy die from cancer. By human standards it was one of the most heart wrenching things I’ve ever witnessed. “Thy will be done” all the sudden becomes very hard to say. Sometimes you just have to trust that God’s ways are as far above ours as the heavens are above the earth. The following also gave me comfort:

Wisdom 4:
7: But the righteous man, though he die early, will be at rest.
8: For old age is not honored for length of time, nor measured by number of years;
9: but understanding is gray hair for men, and a blameless life is ripe old age.
10: There was one who pleased God and was loved by him, and while living among sinners he was taken up.
11: He was caught up lest evil change his understanding or guile deceive his soul.
12: For the fascination of wickedness obscures what is good, and roving desire perverts the innocent mind.
13: Being perfected in a short time, he fulfilled long years;
14: for his soul was pleasing to the Lord, therefore he took him quickly from the midst of wickedness.
15: Yet the peoples saw and did not understand, nor take such a thing to heart, that God’s grace and mercy are with his elect, and he watches over his holy ones.
16: The righteous man who had died will condemn the ungodly who are living, and youth that is quickly perfected will condemn the prolonged old age of the unrighteous man.
17: For they will see the end of the wise man, and will not understand what the Lord purposed for him, and for what he kept him safe.

I am new to this forum, but I saw this thread and wanted to reply. I just came from a Parish Mission at our church. The speaker a very holy Benedictine Monk. He spoke of death and how some people see it as unfair. He reminded us that we are all going to die and that it was a path we could not avoid. He said that our life is not our own. We belong to God and He gave us life and He can take it when He pleases. This young priest was called to Jesus early and only He knows why. Some of us are called at a young age and some older. Only God knows when it is our time to change from this world to the next. God’s will is the best and He doesn’t make mistakes. We will have suffering in the life. WE are to pick up our crosses and follow Jesus. Even Mother Mary had to suffer. I know it is sad when someone young dies. Just keep in mind that we can’t see the future or the whole picture where as God can and that He doesn’t make mistakes. :thumbsup:

[quote=tenfootpole]It’s just completly absurd, you know we have almost no vocations in the francophone areas of Canada and we get a holy and passionate young man and bam hes gone. How can this possibly make sense.
[/quote]

I understand how difficult it can be to accept the ugliness of the world, unjust deaths, disease, mental illness, pain, war, people who turn against God. It never makes any “sense” to us while we are in the middle of it. Even if intellectually we accept that God’s Will be done, it can be difficult to accept with our hearts when we are hurting.

God did not want death, disease, or pain for us. The human race chose it of our own free will at the beginning of time. We all suffer the consequences of original sin, no matter how much we love God and how much God loves us. It is part of the human condition.

God doesn’t see time or the world the same way we do. When we look at our lives we feel that time is precious because we realize how little of it we have, such a short time to “get it right.” God sees the world in terms of the salvation of souls. Sometimes His people need to see a medical miracle and sometimes they will grow more spiritually if they experience a loss. It isn’t bad for the person who dies because they are with God, all his longings are fulfilled. Perhaps that person is at the height of their readiness for salvation, and it was their perfect moment, chosen by God.

Suffering is an important part of life and salvation. It is a condition of the human race, nobody can escape it. Jesus was very near the age of your 31 yr old priest. Contemplate the Way of the Cross today and ask Jesus to give you comfort and peace with the loss of your friend. From an earthly perspective Jesus was at the height of his ministry, he only preached the kingdom for 3 years. Only Jesus himself and His Mother Mary truly understood His purpose, what it meant to be the Lamb of God. Imagine the disciples, they were frightened and grieving. It must have seemed senseless to them that God would allow such a great young man to die. They couldn’t comprehend who Jesus is, that His suffereing and death would bring about salvation for humanity. Nothing made sense to them, they hid in the upper room until Jesus appeared and the Holy Spirit descended upon them.

It is normal to question what seems to make no sense, it is a part of the grieving process to question and to feel anger.

The best thing for you to do is to pray and contemplate the WAy of the Cross, imagine yourself in the shoes of the disciples and women who were with them. Ask Jesus to help you find comfort and peace, to bring you into greater understanding, to use your pain to help you grow just as the disciples were transformed by their relationship with Jesus and the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

God Bless You.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.