Asking Jesus to pray for us? - Pope Francis

news.va/en/news/pope-francis-jesus-continues-to-pray-and-intercede

Pope Francis a few weeks back was talking about how Jesus prays and intercedes for us, and how he asks Jesus to pray for him.

Now I do not doubt that Jesus does indeed intercede for us.

But coming from a Protestant background… I just find it odd to ask Jesus “to pray for us”. I mean… Jesus IS God. When I pray to Jesus, I pray to Him as if I am praying to God. In fact I often interchange between the Persons of the Trinity in the same prayer, asking them to help me. Is that wrong or frowned upon?

But asking Jesus to pray and intercede for me? Is that a common Catholic practice? I just find it strange, seeing as Jesus is God. Is it not Jesus that does the actual answering of prayer then? Is that only the Father’s job or something?

Anyway, I guess theologically there aren’t any problems with this whole thing… and it’s probably supported by scripture… but it still just strikes me as odd, directly asking Jesus to pray for us when He is God. Doesn’t anyone else find that? For the Son to go up to the Father and pray to Him for us just seems like it is dividing the Trinity up a bit too much than I would prefer. (I know Jesus prayed to God here on earth… but in heaven it’s just different, I mean Jesus is back in His glorified form and no longer needs to show humans how to live and obedience etc. or to pray for that matter)

Just wondering what other people’s thoughts are. Do you guys ask Jesus to pray for you, or do you come directly with your need in the belief that He has the power to answer it directly?

Intercede? I share your puzzlement. That’d be kind’ve like asking the king to intercede… to the king for a request. Doesn’t make sense.

Something get lost in the translation?

Well, I have always understood: “Father! Forgive them for they know not what they do” as Him praying for us.
I also beleive there is a part in the Gospels where He specifically prays for us that we all may be one but I forget the exact verse.

I will have to admit though that I missed Pope Francis saying this. Was it one of his daily homilies? If it was and if someone could point me to where I might read it or listen to it that would be greatly appreciated.

we are saved through Jesus’ scarfice of course it is him that we have to go through to get to heaven
might as well pray to him too

Yes we are saved through Him.

And yes, we should pray to Him! :slight_smile:

The problem I’m finding is asking Him to pray and intercede for us, rather than directly answer it.

Jesus Prays for All Believers

20 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— 23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

24 “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.

25 “Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. 26 I have made you[e] known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”

john 17

Intercedes

For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus,
1 timothy 2.5

Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.
Hebrews 7.25

according to his eternal purpose that he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord. 12 In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence.
Ephesians 3 11-12

v 14 For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility
18 For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.
19 Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household
Ephesians 2 . v 14 18-19

Jesus interceding for believers to the Father is a very scriptural image, coming out of the fact of his high priesthood.

newadvent.org/cathen/08070a.htm - Christ intercedes , not only to bring man near unto God , but to bring God near unto man …bridging the unfathomable gap , brought in by our choice, to become slaves of the enemy , by choosing to trust his words over that of The Father, in The Garden !

And how beautifully , The Trinity does so , in the dignity and humilty of divine nature, reflecting the tender , infinite love of a Father , who does not want to overwhelm us, but stoops to our limitations and littleness, by being accessible, in truth and order , yet , not curtailing our freedom , in and through His beloved , The Church, in The Liturgy , The Eucharist and Sacraments - such as confession !

All glory be to our Lord , to our Father , who has willed such a High Priest for us , His children , along with the glorious company of the angels and saints !

1 John 2:1 My children, I am writing this to you so that you may not commit sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous one.

Peace

I read the item provided by the OP, and indeed, Pope Francis did say we should ask Jesus to pray AND intercede for us. He gave the Scriptural basis for this in his comments, and I find them convincing. I had never done this either, but find it a comfort. I think the Pope meant exactly what he said. Read the blog from Vatican News again, and prayerfully read just what the Pope said. It is Scriptural, just not something we have been taught much or done in the last decades, but certainly is not only permissible, but also Biblical!:slight_smile:

If Jesus is the ultimate high priest, than he prays and intercedes with the father. As someone mentioned, on the cross he said, "father forgive them…not I forgive you? The whole trinity thing is after all a mystery, it is also a hard concept for most of us to get our heads around. I just trust that when a pope who is also a Jesuit speaks about our faith, he definitely knows more than I do. No pope in the last sixty years has ever steered me wrong.:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.